Sign in to follow this  
ardorx1

ETHOS 18" Ordered!

Just took the plunge and placed the ordered for my Ethos 18" dual 2 ohm.

I can't give enough praise to Quentin.  This man doesn't know me from anyone and has treated me like I was holding cash in front of him in a store.  Customer service like this is rare nowadays (I'm a Regional Director for a restaurant company) and I was repeatedly blown away by his willingness to answer questions that I had and quick response time.  I really appreciate his tactfulness and I look forward to seeing his business blow up over the next few months/years.  Just superb service top to bottom...thanks again Quentin.

Now...I eagerly await it's arrival morning.gif

-Josh

:fing34:

<---soooo Jealous.lol  I didn't think they would be available til fall- or I would've waited.

I was surprised myself...I took the off chance of pming Quentin if he had any motors available and he replied almost immediately yes.  He instructed me to hop on the new site and place an order.  Worked flawlessly.

And even if it takes a little while...my perfectly fine pair of 12" FI SSD's will tide me over.  I don't know what it is about these (Ethos) but between Quentin's great service and then going through BigJon's 13 page thread it was a no brainer to get these as an upgrade.  It's an early Father's Day present adhd.gif

Edited by ardorx1

Nice!

nice to hear!

awesome!!!

They are amazing subs! I love my 15s

Yeah I had to jump on the DSS myself order 2 18's yesterday....man o man can't wait

Wow, I could have waited then and build a smaller enclosure. :( Have to look more into them after I get my zcon's.

???  slacking on the videos

???  slacking on the videos

and the pictures 

I've been busy with work (understatement) and have just now had the chance to take this beast out and admire it.  It's not like anyone else needs "encouragement" to buy one of these monsters but I figured I'd snap some pictures while taking it out of the box.  First time posting pictures, I just used the gallery on here, they look better full size but it wouldn't let me link from photobucket for some reason?

I love the use of wood on the top and bottom, to be honest it probably helped keep the sub from being damaged as it looks like UPS used the box to play soccer with.

IMG 20140702 222157

Foam packing on top, covers all of the cone and most of the surround.

IMG 20140702 222331

Up close of one of the foam spacers.

IMG 20140702 222339

One of the foam spacers did fall off during shipping it seems.  From the looks of it, UPS stored it for most of its journey on it's side.

IMG 20140702 222347

Top down shot of box.

IMG 20140702 222428

Other spacer opposite the one above.

IMG 20140702 222548

Cardboard got destroyed during shipping, I believe it was surrounding the motor, regardless it did its job.  Q, you may want to have them beef this up?

IMG 20140702 222628

Impression on the rubber ring outside the surround, looks to be from the plywood piece that was on top, no damage to the surround though.

IMG 20140702 222834

Shot of a chip on the top magnet.  I took this for Quentin so he could see how manufacturing is going.

IMG 20140702 222947

Shot of second chip on the top magnet, again just for Quentin really.  You get a decent shot of the coil lurking inside though.

IMG 20140702 223542

Excess glue on the top of magnet, comes off with a little work though.

IMG 20140702 223651

Discoloration of black chrome on motor, it isn't pitted but doesn't rub off.

IMG 20140702 224135

Scratch

IMG 20140702 224620

Shot of the venting on bottom of motor, a few of the holes are chipped/discolored.

IMG 20140702 224729

Shot of the leads and the spider, very beefy, sewn in nicely and good looking shrink wrap.  Glue work looks nice and tidy too.

IMG 20140702 224925

Size comparison shot, she's a monster

IMG 20140702 225202

IMG 20140702 225233

And lastly the ass shot, it isn't going to be inverted but damn sure makes you want to, it really looks great in person, my cell pics don't do it justice.

IMG 20140702 225316

Overall I can't say enough how impressed I am.  Can't wait to get this thing installed and playing.  I already know my amp is way to small considering what Cheezy/Steve/Bigjon have been throwing at them, I've only got a CT Sounds 1400.1, for now at least.

I could definitely use some box advice though, appreciate any given.  It's going in the back of my 07' 4runner so I've got plenty of space to throw a big box back there.  

Hope everyone enjoys the pics!

Edited by ardorx1

nice pictures!

Bet you cant wait to hear that thing!

When I find the time to get it installed I'll be all like...

8f927a57edd2d112b25fe352_zps5vfldt8d.gif

Q has publicly stated he is making some changes for that very reason. One of them being beefier packaging.

You're going to love that sub! Gotta post a build log and show that bish off!!!

Although the box did it's job it failed. I have a local company working on die cut plank foam that will engulf the motor and the top of the basket. Think styrofoam packaging inserts but made from high quality plank foam.

The chips and excess glue by the magnets are normal. Most companies use boots to hide this but I choose not to to save the customer about $20.

I'm not too happy with the discoloration of the plates either. I actually spend a ton of time polishing with a grinder and polishing compound. Some of the motors look like they have been smoked out by a fire before polishing. The next batch will be chrome to correct this.

I'd stick it in a 3.5 cft box tuned to 32 hz. Post max dimensions and I will work up a design over the next day or two.

Absolutely, I posted many of the pics so Q could see what manufacturing had going on, I'm 100% satisfied myself.  Will definitely take pics along the way and throw a log up when I get around to install.

Q,  I appreciate your consideration in passing along the savings to consumers and I'm sure many others do as well.  I'll try to get some max dimensions in the next day, I appreciate the design help sir!

Edited by ardorx1

Edit: you have an 18. Stick it in 4.5 cubes.

I actually do all the assembly myself.

Edit: you have an 18. Stick it in 4.5 cubes.

I actually do all the assembly myself.

Wow thats awesome, I had no Idea you were hand building these yourself.  Like I said the pictures don't do the build quality justice, everything looks the way it should and there's really nothing excess anywhere.  Solidly built for sure and that black chrome...adhd.gif

Yea it's pretty when it's clean

Yum