blowthemup

just bought new head unit

With the increasing demand for the amazing pioneer deh-80prs and the availability dropping and price on the rise I figured I better get one while I can. Should be a nice compliment to my system.  Feel like its only a matter of time before this head unit becomes nearly impossible to get your hands on.

So many processing options it isn't all that big of a deal.  Considering some of the old Eclipses are pennies on the $ I wouldn't worry so much.  Processing is getting easier to supply, not harder :)  Still it is a fantastic headunit.

I have the pioneer deh-x9500bhs which looks very much like the 80prs but I'm sure the 80prs has much better internals and of course all the tuning capabilities. I dont know if its the bluetooth in my phone or the 9500 but its a bit finicky sometimes, hoping the 80prs is better. 

IMO the 80/88prs has one thing for novice tuners that no other headunit has and that is L/R independent eq. HUGE for tuning. Also, most decks have parametric which in reality are more effective when utilized correctly but way harder to use so it really gives the prs a monstrous edge for first time active IMO.

Only thing better is a processor that can be controlled by a touch screen in the dash. When new you MUST have tuning up front and access to it at all times. Really shortens the learning curve which is far from trivial.

Absolutely love mine. First experience going fully active and the 80prs made getting the crossover points all setup very easy. Still struggling a little with the 16 band EQ (wouldn't dream of trying to EQ L/R separately, lol) but I'm getting the hang of it. I tried the Auto EQ and didn't care for it personally. I'm not into the TA and all that. Just not my preference. But as far as going active from the head unit and having 16 bands of EQ to tune on the fly, the 80prs is where it's at! Wouldn't trade this head unit for the world.

I'm gonna assume that parametric affects the frequency band you've selected as well as the surrounding frequency bands verse independent eq only changes the selected frequency. I understand that the 80prs does independent eqs for left and right channels but was unsure of how it worked if not indepently adjusting left from right.

If i'm not running it in network mode I would assume its gonna be very similar to my x9500bhs as far as its processing capabilities. Just a simple hpf for speakers and lpf on the subwoofer control correct? If using it in network mode (active) would the regular speaker outputs be active or only the rca pre outs?

Absolutely love mine. First experience going fully active and the 80prs made getting the crossover points all setup very easy. Still struggling a little with the 16 band EQ (wouldn't dream of trying to EQ L/R separately, lol) but I'm getting the hang of it. I tried the Auto EQ and didn't care for it personally. I'm not into the TA and all that. Just not my preference. But as far as going active from the head unit and having 16 bands of EQ to tune on the fly, the 80prs is where it's at! Wouldn't trade this head unit for the world.

auto equipment is garbage.

...so are your crossover points. Play some more it will get WAY better

I'm gonna assume that parametric affects the frequency band you've selected as well as the surrounding frequency bands verse independent eq only changes the selected frequency. I understand that the 80prs does independent eqs for left and right channels but was unsure of how it worked if not indepently adjusting left from right.

If i'm not running it in network mode I would assume its gonna be very similar to my x9500bhs as far as its processing capabilities. Just a simple hpf for speakers and lpf on the subwoofer control correct? If using it in network mode (active) would the regular speaker outputs be active or only the rca pre outs?

your assumption is terribly wrong. Para lets youbadjust the q which determine the"width" of the eq'd band

Yeah, just HPF for front and rear and then a LPF for the sub. Yes, the preamp is affected by the processing when in Network Mode, although there is an option to shut the preamp off if you aren't using it. It's under the setup menu that can be accessed by holding the knob in while the unit is off.

And you are also correct about the difference between the parametric and graphic eq.

I'm gonna assume that parametric affects the frequency band you've selected as well as the surrounding frequency bands verse independent eq only changes the selected frequency.

No. The Q factor determines the bandwidth of frequencies affected by the adjustment of the EQ band. High Q = narrow bandwidth, low Q = wide bandwidth. Both graphic and parametric EQ's have a Q factor. Parametric EQ allows you to select the center frequency and Q factor. Graphic EQ's have a fixed center frequency and Q factor.

And to clarify further independent EQ means you can adjust left and right channels separately. This can be either graphic or parametric, but not all processors allow for independent equalization.

your assumption is terribly wrong. Para lets youbadjust the q which determine the"width" of the eq'd band

He had it correct in laymen's terms.

.And you are also correct about the difference between the parametric and graphic eq.

No, he is not. Both graphic and parametric have a Q factor. Just that parametric Q is adjustable and graphic is fixed. Even in lay men's terms it's wrong. There is a difference between saying it's fixed, and that it doesn't exist.

He had it correct in laymen's terms.
or he had it opposite. Depends on the need and thwtvis exactly why para is more flexible

So why would one want to change the Q of certain band using a parametric eq verse just cutting or boosting the frequency with a standard graphic eq? Whats the advantages or disadvantages of both?

Point taken.

Don't mean to thread jack but any suggestions on my crossover points M5?

As of now I have my FT1's at 5K and up, Skar FSX-8's at 100-5K, and my subs 100 down to 20 (box is tuned to 28). All are at 24DB slope.

So why would one want to change the Q of certain band using a parametric eq verse just cutting or boosting the frequency with a standard graphic eq? Whats the advantages or disadvantages of both?

http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/eqtypes.shtml

Q in laymens terms is width and slope. Being that equipment is for anomalies theyvwill determine what you change.

As for the crossover question. Can't do much until you get rid of the garbage ft1s, but trying a bit harder willvhelp

So why would one want to change the Q of certain band using a parametric eq verse just cutting or boosting the frequency with a standard graphic eq?

Because the problem you are trying to fix is never a single frequency. Just like an EQ, the peaks and dips in the frequency response have a Q factor...it's either a wide (low Q) peak/dip or a narrow (high Q) peak/dip. Adjustable Q allows you to really narrow in on the specific problem you are trying to fix.

Whats the advantages or disadvantages of both?

Long story short parametrics typically have fewer bands than graphic, but parametric is more adjustable. So parametric is better at tackling specific problem areas in the frequency response whereas graphic is better at carving out the overall frequency response and tonality of the system. Both are effective, just at different things.

Q in laymens terms is width and slope. Being that equipment is for anomalies theyvwill determine what you change.

As for the crossover question. Can't do much until you get rid of the garbage ft1s, but trying a bit harder willvhelp

Should the crossover points overlap? Like instead of having the mids lowpassed at 5 and the highs highpassed at 5, should the mids maybe overlap into the highs, like 6.3??

Thanks guys, a couple youtube videos and your explanations and I was able to wrap my head around it. My x9500bhs was graphic and so is the 80prs so I should be familiar with adjusting it.

And I assume you mean get a set of tweets that can be crossed lower?

Anything but the ft1s. May be the worst sounding popular car tweeter or all time

If the pre amp(headunit power) is affected by the network mode also, then the front speakers would become highs and rear speakers as mids? I know thats how it works if your using the rca pre outs and amps.

I'm pretty sure the rear RCA's become the high out and the front RCA's become the mid out and I think the speaker outputs do the same.

I'm pretty sure the rear RCA's become the high out and the front RCA's become the mid out and I think the speaker outputs do the same.

that's the complete opposite of what i would expect. as alpines and clarions i've used are front = high, rear = mid