Dangrebel

Hertz hi energy component set?

I have the opportunity to grab the hi energy set for cheap bnib. I'm looking for loud but clear vocals with a fair amount of mid bass at loud volumes. I'll be running the full power or more to the set. And be fiber glassing pods for the Mids and the tweeters. I listen to all kinds of music mainly rap and alternative rock. The vehicle is 2000 gmc Sierra. Has anyone heard a set? Do you like the way they sound?

Sealed fiberglass  pods for a mid that maybe be designed for IB (car door) will hurt the midbass. though im not sure what you mean by pods. Either way, performance will come down to install so focus on that and not on the speaker brand. 

I listened to a set in a shop. I liked em. Think it was an hsk set. Was going to buy them but I ran across a focal polyglass set I liked a little better.

Did YOU like them? Isn't that what matters? Opinions of course mean a lot. The Polyglas set referenced above sounds awful to me...but I haven't heard the High Energy's installed.

Setup will be the limitation not the drivers. Of course, even uber cheap compared to a DIY set they will be lackluster.

The mid bass will be ib in a pod on the door. The tweeter will be in a pod on the a pillar. I personally liked them. Would it be better for me to go active with a DIY kit? Or just run these active?

The mid bass will be ib in a pod on the door. The tweeter will be in a pod on the a pillar. I personally liked them. Would it be better for me to go active with a DIY kit? Or just run these active?

how much of the required hardware do you have to go active (processor, amps, etc)? And have you done an active 2way set up before? If you have the hardware buy have not tried active 2 way before than start with a pair of components. I wouldn't spend hertz money for a pair of components that you will be replacing with diy drivers down the road. But, I guess you could more easily sell the hertz after you're done with them (assuming you dont blow a driver).  

Edited by lithium

I've be running 2 way active for 2 yrs now even ran 3 way at one point. I have a 80prs that I used and was suprised by the ease of the interface. I could easily set it up.

I've be running 2 way active for 2 yrs now even ran 3 way at one point. I have a 80prs that I used and was suprised by the ease of the interface. I could easily set it up.

a passive set would be less of a time investment in terms of tuning but the results wont be as good as active on raw drivers. up to you 

Do any of y'all have any suggestions on a DIY set up or some raw drivers that will get decently loud and sound as good or better than the hi energys? I'm open to suggestions

I'm open to 8 in Mids aswell and could run a 3 way if it would be better

depends on a lot of factors. what are your constraints for mount depth, diameter, and locations for mids and tweeters? how much fabrication are you willing to do? budget?

Edited by lithium

I think better will come down to your install and tuning.

With an 80prs and in good hands these could trump the Hertz set uber easy.

http://www.parts-express.com/grs-6pr-8-6-1-2-poly-cone-rubber-surround-woofer--292-426

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-nd20fa-6-3-4-neodymium-dome-tweeter--275-030

Not that I'd buy those, but the question is almost ridiculous. The Hertz set comes with a $5 woofer and tweeter, same with the Focal. Add to that they come with a super shitty crossover and it is really somewhat pointless. Car audio sets are a joke. The Blues set epitomizes that joke if you want to throw money out the window.

If an 80prs is your processing, 3 way really isn't in the cards. Also way harder to tune and succeed. Starting with something destined for success is a better idea. I'd first pay attention to your installation locations, then I'd listen to different speaker setups and determine your preference and then finally I'd start shopping for drivers.

depends on a lot of factors. what are your constraints for mount depth, diameter, and locations for mids and tweeters? how much fabrication are you willing to do? budget?

I am willing to do anything except build enclosures within the door because I simply don't have room. Anything else I'm fine with doing seeing as I've done it before.

Budget 250$ on raw drivers

Edited by Dangrebel

With an 80prs and in good hands these could trump the Hertz set uber easy.

http://www.parts-express.com/grs-6pr-8-6-1-2-poly-cone-rubber-surround-woofer--292-426

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-nd20fa-6-3-4-neodymium-dome-tweeter--275-030

Not that I'd buy those, but the question is almost ridiculous. The Hertz set comes with a $5 woofer and tweeter, same with the Focal. Add to that they come with a super shitty crossover and it is really somewhat pointless. Car audio sets are a joke. The Blues set epitomizes that joke if you want to throw money out the window.

If an 80prs is your processing, 3 way really isn't in the cards. Also way harder to tune and succeed. Starting with something destined for success is a better idea. I'd first pay attention to your installation locations, then I'd listen to different speaker setups and determine your preference and then finally I'd start shopping for drivers.

i have a few driver laying around to play with. I can also sample a few from parts express. Aslong as they aren't too expensive. I want to stay 2 way active. The whole truck is sound deadened aswell.

I am willing to do anything except build enclosures within the door because I simply don't have room. Anything else I'm fine with doing seeing as I've done it before.

Budget 250$ on raw drivers

I think that hu cant do fullrange + midbass so you will have to stick with tweeter + woofer. 

Something like exodus anarchy and a large format has been a pretty popular recommendation. i'll leave others to make the recommendations. 

Completely depends on locations

Mid in the door semi on axis with driver side. Tweeters on a pillar on axis with driver side

Ouch, do they have to be on axis? Really not what you want in a car tweeter ever. Major separation space wise and path length on the drivers then? What kind of car? Any pics? How big can the tweeter be?

No actually I haven't built the pods or anything yet. So do you suggest firing them at each other? 2000 gmc Sierra ext cab. The tweeter can be a big as 5in in diameter.

No actually I haven't built the pods or anything yet. So do you suggest firing them at each other? 2000 gmc Sierra ext cab. The tweeter can be a big as 5in in diameter.

aiming will have to be determined with some testing. 

That truck is awful to put tweets in the pillars, the dash blows donkey dick. Spent a bunch of time on my 02 trying to determine if I could make it better. My feet make kicks in it not work so I just finally gave up and put everything in the doors. The one nice thing though is that the doors are great for midbass though.

I'd get ready to spend HOURS positioning drivers if you want any semblance of response. Taming it with the prs won't be so easy either as it is reflection city. Doors will make stage height difficult but everything else easy.

To me it'll depend somewhat on your goals. Personally I'll also forego height for FR, but there are tons of idiots that focus on staging concerns for SQ comps and such and forget the fundamentals of making things sound good.

As for the doors, you will need to seriously treat them for structure and rattles but once done they really do a good job of helping.