Hey guys. I finally blew my alpine type R 15 after 4 years. Had my alpine mrd m1005 running to it in a sealed enclosure. It was loud and got 141.4 db at a local comp I did just for fun to see how loud I could get. Time for a new 15 to replace it. I'm wondering if anyone knows a good 15" that compares to the type r or better that will run off that 1000 rms nicely. Many of the subs I like seem to be made for ported enclosures. I'm not against ported box but can't afford to have one built right now and I always liked the sound quality from my sealed. I want to go for a ported box in the near future but want a well built one with low port noise and tuned. Does anyone have suggestions for a sub that will run on a sealed enclosure for now nicely but even better in a ported later? I thought about a DD 2500, or American bass TNT or XFL, but it looks like neither do well in a sealed box. I been out of the car audio loop of whats good, so any help is appreciated.

Well you're on the SSA forum so why not check out the subs they offer or the brands they carry. A SSA Icon could be a good option for example. 

I'm usually good at working with wood but never built an enclosure. A sealed would be no prob but a ported seems like a job that can go wrong.

I was looking at some of the ssa subs. The gcon looks good to me. Could it handle 1000 rms daily? The alpine did for 4 years and it only had 2.5 inch VC's. the icon seems like 1000rms might not be enough maybe.

Maybe someone can help design a ported enclosure depending on the sub you choose also.

I'm usually good at working with wood but never built an enclosure. A sealed would be no prob but a ported seems like a job that can go wrong.

I was looking at some of the ssa subs. The gcon looks good to me. Could it handle 1000 rms daily? The alpine did for 4 years and it only had 2.5 inch VC's. the icon seems like 1000rms might not be enough maybe.

if you can make straight cuts with a saw then building a ported box is just as easy and a sealed box. You would just need a design with a cut sheet. measure your space and come back. We can check if the redesigned enclosure SSA has will fit or not. 

I've been running a GCON 15" on 1000wrms for about a year and a half, still going strong.

you won't even notice the extra 250w missing on the icon.

What caused the sub to blow? We don't want you to get another sub and that one blow too. Do you know the reason?

It's true, if you can make straight cuts with a saw then you can make a ported box. I can design a box and give you a cut sheet for you to use to help you make the box. Just let me know.

If you are interested in going SSA, and due to your mention of SPL figures along with SPL biased subs, between the Icon and Gcon, lean Icon for your needs.

The sub blew from 4 years of hard thumping. I bumped it hard often. I adjusted my gain to where there was little distortion or cone noise when at my highest playing volume.it was in a sealed 1.75' obcon 1" mdf enclosure.

I do want a combo of sound quality and spl. More like sound quality with the ability to get pretty damn loud. I'm a bass junkie and have had a decent stereo in my car for 16 years now. How do the SSA subs compare to other stuff on the market? I don't know much about them, from what I've read they are well built in the USA which is appealing. Better built and performance then an alpine type R? I once had a jbl wgti in a sealed box with 1100 rms at 3 ohms. Hit 143 db with that. Loved it but got rid of it.

Edited by sittdogg

My car is a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. Box has to be, B x W x H, 16-18" x 34"x 15 1/2". The height restriction of the enclosure has been an issue with having a 15" in this car. Part of why I haven't gone ported as of yet.

The stock amp for the Bose might be able to be relocated to make another inch of height. But I'm so busy with school and work it seems like a pain in the ass.

Edited by sittdogg

I've blown q few type R's in my day. The 4 iCON's I had did not blow, and I wish i had held on to them.

SSA makes a quality product, at a fair price. They are worth the cash all day long, and twice on Sundays.

Just remember the enclosure will make or break the quality of any subwoofer.

J

Be prepared to wait, but you will get quality built in the USA

Don't be afraid of the wait : it's not bery long ! 1 month is nothing finall :-)  :-) And you'll love the Icon, if you get one. You won't regret your JBL gti with this ssa icon !!!

I went and bought a 15" Rockford fosgate punch he2 sub for $70 to get me by for some bass until I get a nice sub, this thing is crap. Half the volume of the Alpine and can't handle my amp with the gain only up half way...lol.

I'm thinking I may need to wait on the ssa sub. I'm in school and only working part time. If I get it ill have to do a diff box too. Anyone know of a decent 1000 rms sub that will perform well in a sealed 1.75 cf box for around $250.

Edited by sittdogg

No one knows a 15" 1000 rms sub that performs well in sealed enclosure? Re audio, I've seen. Seems like a lot of manufactures don't always have the enclosure data.

Icon would work. Gcon would work if you cut back the power. check the forum for used gear. 

It isn't the sub, but your goals that don't work with a sealed enclosure. Either your desires or expectations need to change for it to be a match.