How much of a difference is there between the current xcon and the original with the boob dust cap? I know the newest ones have no more pole vent, but that's about all I know besides the aesthetic of the cone/dust cap. Could they be used in the same box?

How much of a difference is there between the current xcon and the original with the boob dust cap? I know the newest ones have no more pole vent, but that's about all I know besides the aesthetic of the cone/dust cap. Could they be used in the same box?

As far as I can remember the XCON has always came with the full dish dustcap. However the older Icons came with a boob style dustcap. 

If you're speaking about the Icon, you could run them together but it would not be optimal.

That is correct Julian, the XCON always had the dish rather than the boob cap.

u sure? here is 2 for sale on local craigslist? http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ele/4458810575.html

Obviously it is a recone, look at the sloppy glue job.

Edited by jay-cee

u sure? here is 2 for sale on local craigslist?

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ele/4458810575.html

I have some of the early pics of it. http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/27048-xcon-final-photos-final-dust-cap-pics-update-pics-p4/

I would guess the one in that pic was reconed at some point.

Why would they have the recones like that if that's never how the sub is?

Something is strange about that recone, as there should only be 4 Xcon's with dome caps and they are in Florida.  Unless this was some odd special request I didn't know about.

As for the changes, the main things were the upgrade to a solid pole, slight tweaks to the suspension and a move from sandwitched to free leads.

Something is strange about that recone, as there should only be 4 Xcon's with dome caps and they are in Florida.  Unless this was some odd special request I didn't know about.

As for the changes, the main things were the upgrade to a solid pole, slight tweaks to the suspension and a move from sandwitched to free leads.

I was there when the guy got that recone from ssa. (Used to be an 18 but he wanted 2 15 so ordered a 15" recone and another 15" xcon and the recone was like that and the sub had the full dust cap)

Someone made a boo boo at the build house.

Do you remember how long ago he ordered that recone?

Think it was almost a year ago if I remember right

Think it was almost a year ago if I remember right

Either it was a booboo or a special request.  There is a good chance we will be permently moving the Xcon to a dome cap soon.

Those are the subs I was actually looking at, only I saw them on eBay. They were priced lower on eBay so it really had me thinking about it. I am currently waiting on a recone myself, having three on hand could get pretty fun.

On a side note, permanent switch to the dome cap? I'm sure plenty of people, myself included, would be saddened by that.

Those are the subs I was actually looking at, only I saw them on eBay. They were priced lower on eBay so it really had me thinking about it. I am currently waiting on a recone myself, having three on hand could get pretty fun.

On a side note, permanent switch to the dome cap? I'm sure plenty of people, myself included, would be saddened by that.

The zcon needs one!

Yes, the dome or boob cap is probably what we need to move to on the Xcon.  We had sourced full Carbon Fiber dish caps that cost us a lot.  They were all rejected and we are still awaiting replacements well over a year later.  The reason for the possible move to dome caps is due to people unloading their Xcon's from time to time and that extra high pressure has occasionally caused a failure in the center of the full dish cap.  So since we prefer to have all our subwoofers overbuilt to help account for use and abuse past their intended design, we either need to move to a very expensive full Carbon Fiber cap (which will increase the price of the Xcon) or we need to transistion to the same cap the Zcon uses.

ok. can someone explain to me the advantages or disadvantages of haveing either the dish or the boob cap? does it effect performance? I know from personal experiences that the boob cap can come loose and rattle and even come off.

ok. can someone explain to me the advantages or disadvantages of haveing either the dish or the boob cap? does it effect performance? I know from personal experiences that the boob cap can come loose and rattle and even come off.

As Aaron just said the boob style dustcaps are much more robust and able to withstand more back pressure. Also the boob style cap is much lighter than the full dish, But in most situations its cosmetic.

As Aaron just said the boob style dustcaps are much more robust and able to withstand more back pressure. Also the boob style cap is much lighter than the full dish, But in most situations its cosmetic.
my bad I forgot to refresh my phone before posting and didnt see it until I already posted.

It depends on the sub and the use.  The dome cap the Zcon uses can take a little more pressure across it's entire surface area than the Xcon full dish cap.

Curious as to what the Xcon recones that I've been patiently waiting for will look like? ..maybe I'll recieve some with carbon caps;)

Curious as to what the Xcon recones that I've been patiently waiting for will look like? ..maybe I'll recieve some with carbon caps;)

Hmm, you've piqued my interest now as well. I'm right at the two month mark for my recone and getting a little anxious, though I'm just trying to be patient.

They will be the standard cone until we decide there needs to be a change.  If it truly is only a small handful of dish caps, then we are not going to move the line to a different cap.  But, if it is really needs to be switched, we will and will announce it when that occurs.

Out of the 8 xcons I had and ran on 3k+ and totally abused them I had zero issues with the cap.

Out of the 8 xcons I had and ran on 3k+ and totally abused them I had zero issues with the cap.

3k+ on an xcon? Damn! I guess Aaron wasn't kidding when he said they over build their stuff.

..Xcon's aint to shabby:)