My favorite sounding sub is the XCON, used to run 2 18's sealed on 3K and damn they sounded so smooth.

Well, my freshly reconed xcon just came in today and to my surprise, it has the dome cap. Hooray boobs! The big dish will be missed, but the dome is a little larger than I had expected it to be. I think I am actually going to like the new look. I guess that's what happens when you get a real subwoofer. Good thing I have the day off tomorrow to play adhd.gif

Edit: forgot the pic

20140610_233059_zps7f454de8.jpg

Edited by hdrox88

Well, my freshly reconed xcon just came in today and to my surprise, it has the dome cap. Hooray boobs! The big dish will be missed, but the dome is a little larger than I had expected it to be. I think I am actually going to like the new look. I guess that's what happens when you get a real subwoofer. Good thing I have the day off tomorrow to play :wacky:

Nice! This is what I expect to see when I finally recieve my Xcon recones;) Edited by JCBULLET

My favorite sounding sub is the XCON, used to run 2 18's sealed on 3K and damn they sounded so smooth.

I do love them sealed.

:fing34: Love the boob look better than this dish cap, just my .02

The boob dusk cap looks pretty damn good, but I prefer the look of the dish.

Well, my freshly reconed xcon just came in today and to my surprise, it has the dome cap. Hooray boobs! The big dish will be missed, but the dome is a little larger than I had expected it to be. I think I am actually going to like the new look. I guess that's what happens when you get a real subwoofer. Good thing I have the day off tomorrow to play adhd.gif

Is that an 18" xcon?

Those are the subs I was actually looking at, only I saw them on eBay. They were priced lower on eBay so it really had me thinking about it. I am currently waiting on a recone myself, having three on hand could get pretty fun.

On a side note, permanent switch to the dome cap? I'm sure plenty of people, myself included, would be saddened by that.

Yes, the dome or boob cap is probably what we need to move to on the Xcon.  We had sourced full Carbon Fiber dish caps that cost us a lot.  They were all rejected and we are still awaiting replacements well over a year later.  The reason for the possible move to dome caps is due to people unloading their Xcon's from time to time and that extra high pressure has occasionally caused a failure in the center of the full dish cap.  So since we prefer to have all our subwoofers overbuilt to help account for use and abuse past their intended design, we either need to move to a very expensive full Carbon Fiber cap (which will increase the price of the Xcon) or we need to transistion to the same cap the Zcon uses.

I vote carbon fiber because It looks AMAZING. At least from the custom ones Ive seen.

Is that an 18" xcon?

It's a 15" though being that close up makes it hard to tell.

my vote goes for the boob cap.

On a side note r the 4 ssa xcons with dome dustcaps in a honda civic I belive I know thos subs I have glued the dust caps back on them at a show but they sure r loud

So, I have been having fun with my xcon and am looking to get louder. I was planning on getting a second one with the black friday sale. I asked this question at the beginning of the post, but it kinda went in another direction. Could my v1 motor xcon with pole vent be run in the same box a a new v2 motor no vent xcon. I am kinda ocd about stuff like this and I will always be wondering if I am missing something or if something isn't quite right. I remember reading about something similar a while ago, but can't seem to find it. The preorder and free shipping on dss ethos right now is super tempting while I wonder if old and new xcons can work together without any adverse effects.

No, they will not work correctly as they are not the same..

No, they will not work correctly as they are not the same..

Care to elaborate?

..Xcon's with a vented pole I've heard don't have as much motor force as non-vented & coil gap may differ, but not sure. Also when I reconed my Xcon's about a mnth ago (build is on my facebook) I did notice some changes here & there just from the recones over time, let alone the dif in motors over time. Hopfully Mark or Aaron chimes in & gives you a better answer.

J.C. makes some good points, as they are not the same and yes over time the Xcon has evolved gradually.  Far more so than any other SSA sub.  Yes, the motor force is different due to the soild pole now, the cooling is different as it is not being vented by the pole and the suspension (if still original on the senior model) is different as the spider packs have been tweaked over time.  But, they are not so different that they cannot work together in a shared chamber enclosure.  Meaning, they have become different over time, but not so different that they are totally unrelated and cannot work well together.  They both still have the same coil, nearly the same moving mass, very similar suspension compliance, same top plate and same massive single slug.

If this was the Icon or Dcon for example, due to the complete change in the motors, those models are somewhat farther apart in the generation gap.  Where as the Xcon has been an evolution, not a generational jump if that makes sense.

Dang, mine has been recently reconed, but that still sounds like too much of a difference to me. The Dss bandwagon may be picking up another here soon. The xcon may be going sealed in a MB CLS...

Dang, mine has been recently reconed, but that still sounds like too much of a difference to me. The Dss bandwagon may be picking up another here soon. The xcon may be going sealed in a MB CLS...

We are open to combo's or return customer discounts for SSA. ;)

Hmm...

Ethos vs Xcon? Good question.. If an Ethos sub is on par or even better then an Xcon ..then ssa may have to think about there pricing, but I don't think ssa will need to unless there is solid/true facts that proves dif. On a side note.. from what I've been told is that Ethos subs are rebaged Dc lvl 3's, but again that is what I've been told lol. Best of luck to you;) #basshead4life

On a side note.. from what I've been told is that Ethos subs are rebaged Dc lvl 3's, but again that is what I've been told lol.

Can't wait to see what Q has to say about that one, lol.

Hehe :roflmao:

..oh shnit:/ lol

Ethos vs Xcon? Good question.. If an Ethos sub is on par or even better then an Xcon ..then ssa may have to think about there pricing, but I don't think ssa will need to unless there is solid/true facts that proves dif. On a side note.. from what I've been told is that Ethos subs are rebaged Dc lvl 3's, but again that is what I've been told lol. Best of luck to you;) #basshead4life

We cannot rethink our pricing as our costs are already high as it is, and will be going up shortly, yet this whole time pricing has stayed the same (essentially went down a pinch went we offered FREE SHIPPING).  There is a reason why there are so few actual SSA dealers.  I have not heard an Ethos to speak on it and as far as I know, they are quite different drivers.  So outside of similar power ratings, it is hard to compare the two.

The DC and DSS subs are not related in any way outside of being round.