Mattl

Amp turning off at high volume and voltage problems

Hey everyone, I got a sundown x18 powered by a hifonics zeus 1800 and crescendo components to the doors on 600w hifonics zeus. I was running this setup for a couple weeks with stock battery, stock 75a alternator, and no big 3 with no problems at all. With the stock setup, my volts were around 14.2v at idle and when I turn my system up it usually drops from around 13.1-11v and the stock alternator kept up pretty well. I decided to get a new Kinetik 1800w battery, a 175a alternator, and I did the big 3. When I did all of this, my system got worse. My volts were running at around 13.4-13.7 and when I did something as little as rolling up my windows, it drained he volts all the way down to around 12.5. I can't even turn my sub up nearly as much as I could with the stock alternator or it will drain to as low as 9v. I put the stock battery in the engine again because I'm planning on running my Kinetik in the back. As of right now, my volts are still dropping like crazy and now when the bass hits too hard, all of my lights in my car dim including the amp and my amps shut off for 10 seconds then my whole system reboots. I am clueless to what it is and I am getting so frustrated. If anyone has an idea of what could be causing this, I would really like to hear. Thanks in advance.

What kind of alternator and what does it put out at idle? 

Did you just add the big 3 or did you replace any stock wires?. . . . . And yea like above, what alt did you get? And have you tried putting the stock alt back in to see if the problem stays?

what alternator did you install?

a quality power 175a H/O alt. that's the only brand I found that makes high output alternators for an isuzu trooper

What kind of alternator and what does it put out at idle?

it's a quality power 175a H/O alt. that's the only brand that sells them for my car

Did you just add the big 3 or did you replace any stock wires?. . . . . And yea like above, what alt did you get? And have you tried putting the stock alt back in to see if the problem stays?

I added all 0 gauge wires for the big 3. Quality power 175a H/O alt. that's the only brand that sell alternators for my car and if it comes down to it, I am going to install the stock alternator and see if the problem continues. I really don't want to though because the alternator is near the bottom of the engine and really hard to get to.

And also, when I'm driving and the rpms are going up, the volts don't go up at all or sometimes even go down around .2v. I thought it could have been the serpentine belt so I got a new one and installed it but I am still having the same problems.

I don't see that alternator putting out much @ idle as the pulley is huge.  Even though it is high output, it may not be suitable for audio applications.

I would try the stock alt. Again to make sure. . . . Mite just be the alt. . . I have ordered an alt that didnt work right right out of the box and had to get a replacement

I don't see that alternator putting out much @ idle as the pulley is huge.  Even though it is high output, it may not be suitable for audio applications.

the picture of the alternator on the website actually doesn't even look like the one they sent me. Mine came with a small pulley.

You should be able to get it tested with a load at Oreillys or Autozone.

You probably won't like this option, but take the alternator out and take it to AutoZone. Have them test it out of the vehicle. That will tell you if it's the alternator or something else in the wiring.

Ah, just realized that was just said above.

Edited by hdrox88

i have dealt with Quality Auto Power in the past.  They make great products.  Call them and let them know what is going on.  Do not take it to Autozone.  This may void your warranty.   Put it back to stock, call them and let them handle it.