ObTechAudio

Best Box for SPL Integra

Alright, there has been a lot of discussion and I want your opinion!

For an Integra, which is the best box for an all out SPL build? (and gets low)

• Wall behind the driver/passenger seats
  • Sub up, port back
  • Sub up, port front
  • Sub back, port back
  • Sub front, port front

All out SPL AND get LOW are not going to happen. You just defined two near opposites.

Try them all! Lol. . . There really wont be a right answer

All out SPL AND get LOW are not going to happen. You just defined two near opposites.

Sorry, let me give you all some more info... 1997 Integra GS-R Hatchback... Running (1) SoundQubed HDC3 18" D1 on a SoundQubed Q1-2200 @ .5 ohms... Plenty of power with multiple XS batteries, big 3, H/O alternator, and the car has been ripped apart and the majority of holes have been foamed, deadened, and resealed with additional stuff. My current setup is a wall right behind the seats tuned to 31hz. This setup is "alright." I'm really impressed with the lows, but simply won't put up the numbers I'd want it to (it might hit a 132-134 @ 31hz right now). I'm thinking the box isn't optimal for this car, that's why I opened this thread. 

I say SPL and low, because multiple guys I know are hitting 145-148 at 28hz. To me, that's low. One guy is even hitting 152 at 20hz!!! My goal is to be in the low to mid 140's at 30-32hz, which would be a huge 10-15 db jump for me. Is that realistic with my equipment? I think so, but I could be wrong. 

If you guys think that's just stupid and that I can potentially hit a higher db at a higher frequency with my setup, I'm all ears.

I dont think it would be to hard to be in the low to mid 40s at a low frequency with what you have.

Do you have the specs of your current enclosure? Because that will be the biggest way to get louder/ sound better

Overall output will be higher further up the frequency range.

Cone area is your friend if you want to get low and loud. Like m5 said SPL and low does not go together in a small car like that.

I dont think it would be to hard to be in the low to mid 40s at a low frequency with what you have.

Do you have the specs of your current enclosure? Because that will be the biggest way to get louder/ sound better

All are internal dimensions (22 x 22 x 23 = 6.44 cubes internal air space) Then factor in sub displacement and port, which is 17.5 x 3.75 x 15.5 = 0.59 cubes. So after everything taken into consideration, I'm at roughly 5.8 cubes. Yes, I know. The port is too small for an 18" with 2k+ watts.

///M5 was part of another port thread I placed on here earlier in the week. Unfortunately, I was a dumba$$ and already built the majority of the box before consulting the forum. 

All are internal dimensions (22 x 22 x 23 = 6.44 cubes internal air space) Then factor in sub displacement and port, which is 17.5 x 3.75 x 15.5 = 0.59 cubes. So after everything taken into consideration, I'm at roughly 5.8 cubes. Yes, I know. The port is too small for an 18" with 2k+ watts.

///M5 was part of another port thread I placed on here earlier in the week. Unfortunately, I was a dumba$$ and already built the majority of the box before consulting the forum.

I bet if you redo an enclosure designed for everything good you will see I really big difference

Your setup sounds like something is wrong. You should be doing a 47 now.

Your setup sounds like something is wrong. You should be doing a 47 now.

That's what I was thinking. My guess is the enclosure.

Have you triple checked EVERY electrical connection and your ohm load?

Yes sir. I've checked everything with meters. Voltage drop isn't a problem either, on full tilt I'm at 13.8 - 14.0

Maybe I should redo my wall baffle? My back windows have massive indents and my baffle doesn't go all the way in to the window, thus leaving about a 4" x 9" gap on both sides? Could this be the culprit? 

Yes sir. I've checked everything with meters. Voltage drop isn't a problem either, on full tilt I'm at 13.8 - 14.0

Maybe I should redo my wall baffle? My back windows have massive indents and my baffle doesn't go all the way in to the window, thus leaving about a 4" x 9" gap on both sides? Could this be the culprit?

So its not sealed off? That would forsure help but mite want to try another enclosure because what you have should be a lot louder than your saying

So its not sealed off? That would forsure help but mite want to try another enclosure because what you have should be a lot louder than your saying

It is sealed completely except for those two 4 x 9 gaps. I simply ran out of wood. I guess the easy fix could be foaming it, but you and I are having the same thought process. Even if I seal them up, I have suspicion that this wall still won't make numbers that it should. Guys with equal equipment are hitting the 147-148 marks and a hatchback Integra should too. I'm thinking its the box not utilizing the hatch with a back firing port.

Sub up port back worked well in my Integra.  I did only try sub up port back and sub back port back though... Get ready to murder your hatch.

Sub up port back worked well in my Integra.  I did only try sub up port back and sub back port back though... Get ready to murder your hatch.

Wow... that last "get ready to murder your hatch" really makes me want to rip my wall out and hear ridiculous amounts of rattle. hahaha