osiris10012

Opinions on my enclosure design for SSA Xcon 12"?

Hello everyone,

New to the forum so I am sorry if this is in the incorrect section but I didn't see anything specific to enclosures. After talking to Aaron from SSA I have made the easy decision to purchase an SSA Xcon 12" very soon. He answered all my questions helping me out a ton. Hands down the best customer service I have dealt with. The customer service plus the fact that the SSA subwoofers are built in the U.S.A. made my decision easy. Alright on to my design. This design will be port/sub both firing up in my crew cab nissan titan. The net volume after all displacement is 2.59 cu ft tuned to 32.7Hz. It has a double baffle and I plan to build it out of 3/4" MDF. It has 15.71 sq in of port per cube, a total port area of 40.7 sq in and a port ratio of 1:5.9. I will be powering it with my PPI BK1800.1D wired to 1 ohm giving it right around 1800w rms. Any advice/feedback will be greatly appreciated. Here is a picture of my design using sketch up.

xcon248tuned32_zps79461020.jpg

I can't say that I see anything wrong with it at all.  Fair amount of port area, adequate volume, and good bracing to boot.  I would imagine the XCON will perform wonderfully in it for you.

Awesome. I just wanted to make sure. It's always nice to hear positive feedback. Especially because I am very new to the ported enclosure game. I plan to order the Xcon on my next payday. Can't wait. This will be the first time I have made a brace like in the design and also the first time I have owned such a high quality woofer. I am super excited.

Edited by osiris10012

thanx.gifbigok.giftrink40.gif

Haha I can't wait to place my order with you Aaron. If it wasn't for the crazy shipping costs to Alaska I would have already placed my order. Just need a little more money to cover shipping.

I think you're going to truly enjoy the performance you get from that XCON in the enclosure you've drawn up.  I've used and/or been around DCON's, ICON's and XCON's and they've all been quite fantastic in their own rights.  My sister's DCON is still the best bang for the buck I've ever had the pleasure of playing with.  Although I've had only limited time playing with and listening to my 10" XCON it's hard to imagine anything that could sound as good, dig as deep or provide the same output in the same 10" size and the particular alignment that I'm using.  SSA makes some fantastic subs for certain and I don't think you'll be the least bit disappointed with yours.

I am glad to hear that. I have read nothing but great things about the SSA woofers. Can't wait to get it.

I think you're going to truly enjoy the performance you get from that XCON in the enclosure you've drawn up.  I've used and/or been around DCON's, ICON's and XCON's and they've all been quite fantastic in their own rights.  My sister's DCON is still the best bang for the buck I've ever had the pleasure of playing with.  Although I've had only limited time playing with and listening to my 10" XCON it's hard to imagine anything that could sound as good, dig as deep or provide the same output in the same 10" size and the particular alignment that I'm using.  SSA makes some fantastic subs for certain and I don't think you'll be the least bit disappointed with yours.

:thanx:

Edited by Aaron Clinton

Just got done going through your jimmy build log Alton. I love the use of pr's and how have the xcon cones on them. Top notch work, it looks great.

I think you're going to truly enjoy the performance you get from that XCON in the enclosure you've drawn up. I've used and/or been around DCON's, ICON's and XCON's and they've all been quite fantastic in their own rights. My sister's DCON is still the best bang for the buck I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. Although I've had only limited time playing with and listening to my 10" XCON it's hard to imagine anything that could sound as good, dig as deep or provide the same output in the same 10" size and the particular alignment that I'm using. SSA makes some fantastic subs for certain and I don't think you'll be the least bit disappointed with yours.

:thanx:
You're welcome brother, just giving credit where credit is due.

Just got done going through your jimmy build log Alton. I love the use of pr's and how have the xcon cones on them. Top notch work, it looks great.

Thanx man but I have to credit Aaron, Mark, and Nick for the PR's. Aaron and Mark for letting me have them made and Nick for working them through the build house. They turned out exactly like I had envisioned and sound even better than I had planned and hoped for.

It's so cool to see pr's. You just don't see them that often. I need to hurry up and buy this xcon 12". I caught myself looking in the back of my truck thinking, you know what I bet I could squeeze the 15" model back there. Lol now I am debating on that. I honestly don't know if I want to give up that much space but at the same time am wondering if the additional cone area would be worth it. Man can decisions be tough. Haha

Xcon's & all other ssa subs are great, but make sure you order an xtra recone/s just incase. The wait time for them is a little crazy..

Looks like a awesome enclosure!

I just removed one of my xcon's and downgraded my power, however at times it doesn't seem like it! I love these xcon's

It's so awesome to hear all your positive feedback on ssa products. I can't wait to place my I order

Looks like a awesome enclosure!

I just removed one of my xcon's and downgraded my power, however at times it doesn't seem like it! I love these xcon's

how do you like it compared to the 2? I would think removing a 12" would be a noticeable difference. Sorry just curious.

Honestly, for me, it's not a huge difference as one would expect. The enclosure for the 2 12"s (sub up, port sidefiring) wasn't all that great 144's on music with windows down. IIRC with just one xcon in 2.1 cubes @ 32hz (sub up, port up) it played high 142's (different songs and sub positioning) a lot of factors to go into consideration.

That is great to know! I have been going back and forth on whether I should stick with port/sub firing up or possibly changing it to port up/sub firing forward. I am almost positive I will stick with my original design. I have always had the problem of going back and forth because my mind never stops going when I am planning something new. Lol

Edited by osiris10012