Sign in to follow this  
Sencheezy

My DSS Ethos Review

So to start, like my other review, here is my Review. Below, is a picture taken, one of my favorites, from Slamology 2014. I should start off by saying, this should NOT be an review, yes I've named the thread Review, but it should be more of an first impressions. The reason being, I've only had one weekend play time with them. 

IMG_38834149695934_zps2vfchvkv.jpeg

Ok so to start off, my installation consist of 6 15" DSS Ethos powered by 3 Taramp HD8000, at this review 2 Taramps. Back up by 10 batteries and a single H/o Alternator. 

Again, I must stress that, these subs have never been played. Truck was running at 4pm Friday afternoon, and I was demoing Friday evening at 11pm. 

Ok, no the First Impressions finally begins.

--------------

:musicality:

So I'm not sure where this should go, either to the performance of the subs, or to the enclosure. Either way, holy crap was I blown away. Over and over again, I was told by the people who received an demo at Slamology that they were blown away by the sheer sound pressure across the entire bandwidth. A great song that displays this, is Young Jeezy - Put on. There are I believe about 4-5 different frequencies during the initial bass drop. I could bag trick that entire 45 second intro. Let me say that again, THE ENTIRE INTRO. Most people would only go in on the volume at the end of the bass line, where the lower frequency is. Which I don't blame them, everyone knows at lower frequencies it's easier to do "tricks". But these play just as hard down low as they do up high. Even have it on film, where people are amazed that I can do a shirt trick at 45hz just has much as someone else can at 30hz. The only difference is, 45hz hurts, no pun intended, and 30hz just feels like hair is telling you move out the way haha. 

:cooling:

Start this section off by saying, there was no issues. Again, not sure if because of subs or if because of enclosure. If you notice, my build the subs are inverted, this was by design, to intentionally offer even more cooling to the subs. Now, remember, I have 16,000 watts going to the subs, of course it's not full 16,000 when you account for everything, but still. For these subs to be rated at 1,800 rms, they were definitely handling the 2,600 watts I was giving them full tilt. I have no hesitation about applying more power. With this particular design, power handling also goes up, so I feel rather comfortable applying 4k to each sub for world finals. The subs NEVER got hot on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Saturday night, I demo'd for quite a long time, maybe over 30-40 mins constant, and at the end of the night, I was finally able to get the motors warm. During Saturday, I believe Timmy mentioned he felt warm air coming out of the enclosure, but the subs weren't hot. I believe it could have been some trapped heat as that Asian climbed in the freaking box haha. I was also checking motor and beneath of the cone, and like I said, was worst warm to the touch, that's it. Was never able to bottom the subs out, smell any kind of coils, and no subs were blown. 

:build quality:

Four of my subs were built by IA, the other two were from Quentin himself. All held up just fine with the abuse I gave them. There was never once, any kind of mechanical noise during the weekend. No loose spiders, no discoloration from the what I could see on the tinsel leads, no loose dustcaps. I would hear if one had popped into the sealed section. No ripped spiders, nothing of that nature. All was well, they are each in the same faction has out of the box. Which is a huge plus, as I was playing songs as high as 57hz and as low as 26hz and lower full tilt with high power. 

:SPL:

Here is the fun part, right? haha. Once more testing commence, I will update with new numbers. So as of now, best scores are, 160.1 outlaw, and 159.1 dash driver door open. Again, BRAND NEW subs. Official best score, is 157.75 sealed on dash. This was without me know my peak. Score was at 57hz, later found out peak is 55hz IIRC. I will later measure lower frequencies full tilt and stuff. Going to try A LOT of testing. Again guys, there was NO, I mean absolutely NO testing yet. I believe right now, the box is tuned at 45hz? So, these number are out of the gate. We all know, with testing alone, numbers can go up as much as 2-4dbs. And these scores are at 16,000 watts, not the 24,000 watts. 

:personal thoughts:

Wow, I'm just blown away so far. I just feel like, I finally have the setup I've always wanted, and a lot of that goes to the support and product of DSS. I just feel like the Ethos are kicking my ass when I turn the gain up. It's crazy, just going up 1/8th on the gain, and it's like holy fuck, strap up your seat belt. I was giving myself demos on the way up to Indy, and just 30seconds half gain would get my back itching. The entire ride up, I could not stop smiling of just pure happiness and joy haha. Then to give out to demos, with good feedback, made it that much better. I would ask every person I gave a demo of their personal thoughts compared to other builds, and the response was just unreal. I would ask them, informing them that they've listened to already at least 15 different demos already, and 8 out of 10 would say mine was the best or their favorite. Either because of the bass, the install, the overall sound, or if they couldn't breath haha. Just overwhelmed with the support from the whole community really. 

:moving forward:

Just gonna put this out there, I plan on switching to 6 15" DSS Tridents. My first go around with the prototype, was meh. Mostly because it was only "as" loud as my evil, it couldn't' take the same power as my evil, and it had NO cooling in it. I'm hoping this will be addressed in the final product, and will give me a World tittle. For next year, I'll be running an Quad Alt setup in my Explorer. And to take the tittle this year, I need a 160 at the headrest, fused. Which is my new goal. Which goes with my new personal goal, of an 162 on the dash!!!

:Final though:

My final thoughts, and if you're to take anything from this. Is that, no, the ethos is not the best sub in the world. But the Ethos is the best sub for his power rating and for it's price point. 

-----------

credibility: F.i BTL UFO, SSA Icon, SSA Zcon, SSA Evil, DSS Prototype

Edited by Sencheezy

Coming tomorrow. Lol.

IMG_38834149695934_zps2vfchvkv.jpeg

Hey, fuck you buddy! lmfao

Sure I know how this is going to go already anyways.

buttlick.gif

buttlick.gif

LOL

Your review is to tell us you'll do it tomorrow? Why not wait till tomorrow to post. Fail!

This man!! Lol

Dammit man...the public demands a review!  Get to it! LOL

Dammit man...the public demands a review!  Get to it! LOL

ok ok, tonight! haha

Sorry, was a bit tired tonight. I work the Thrid shift lol

what happened to this review? I was looking forward to hearing it.

It's coming #justwaitonit

FAIL

Lol

That's awesome got to get me some of those lmao

At this rate- I'll have my review up sooner...and I still have a couple of months before mine will be done.LOL

You may be right Quentin.ninja.gif

Too busy 'reviewing' the taramps 8k.

Too busy 'reviewing' the taramps 8k.

icon_roflmao.gif

LOL! Tomorrow night, I promise

There are a few of us, myself included, that may have to thread jack this just to have some ACTUAL reviews of the Ethos... Lol

I can't say much, my Ethos 18" is still sitting here in the house BNIB, haven't even found the time to open it.  I've had it since 6/3 sigh.gif

i've got 8 ethos just laying around and over 100,000w of power laying around..   I'm going to have to dial it back some but i heard his 6 ethos install.. 

It was LouD and CleaN.

To be able to break a 160 on less than 10,000w of actual output power is amazing!

i've got 8 ethos just laying around and over 100,000w of power laying around..   I'm going to have to dial it back some but i heard his 6 ethos install.. 

It was LouD and CleaN.

To be able to break a 160 on less than 10,000w of actual output power is amazing!

On that subject, when you was back there with the meter, how much amperage was I pulling? I think you said around 300 amps right? So, figurativly speaking, obviously not 100% accurate, but on the safe side, that would be ~300 amps times 12volts which comes out to 3,600 watts, so times that by two we get 7,200 real time power right?