Nickwin

Introductions & brief background

I would like to introduce myself, I'm Nick from Houston. First,  thanks for making an incredible place for someone like myself to learn and discuss audio. I found  sundown and that's what led me here. I'm a DIY  person but don't have quite as much knowledge as I should and would like to educate myself with the goal of reducing my mistakes. Car audio has changed quite a bit. My last system was 2 used 12's and amp installed in a 91 eagle talon back in high school. Oh, I also had tweeter stuck to the pillars completing my "system". So, Id like to eventually build a complete system that is loud as hell, but done the right way. So  far I have 1 sundown x-10 in a 1.3cuft ported box. audio pipe 1500w mono amp. JL audio c2 components in the front doors JL c2coaxial in rear deck powered by JL 700/5 with a audio control DQ-61. 2 Stinger 4/o powers & Grounds for ea. amp. I installed it all myself with lots of trial and error. The only aspect im happy with is the SUB, even with the150.00 amp. Sorry for the long intro. I look forward to all the great advice and  I am anxious to learn from everyone willing to offer some advice.

:WELCOME:

Welcome

Howdy do!  Welcome to SSA.  LOTS of good, no BS/hype, info around here. 

welcome

:WELCOME: to the forum!

No need to apologize for the intro, it's good to hear about all that stuff, helps give perspective.  You've definitely come to the right place for learning, no one here is going to feed you any BS.  

As for the issues you're having, why is the sub the only thing you like?  Or rather, what about the rest of it are you not liking?  What kind of work have you done installing the rest of it (custom baffles, sound deadening, etc.)?

LOTS of good, no BS/hype, info around here. 

I don't post a lot, but this is what keeps me lurking here.. Welcome to the party, Nickwin.  You came to the right place.

Welcome to SSA! I'm in NW Houston

eek5wavey.gif

I have some updates that have changed my views. First, I would like to state that im no longer only satisfied with the sub. What I have learned is all of the issues were details I have since identified. My factory signals are divided by the 3 common frequencies. I summed the signals using the audio control DQ 61. Still the sound was unbearably high, almost leaving a metallic taste in the air high. When I used the factory sub signal from fact. amp as the main input on the DQ 61 I finally heard the speakers closer to there design intention and confirm the decision wasn't wrong. I still cannot seem to find the sweet spot though meaning as unbearably loud distortion free music. If the sound works the volume is not. I think my problem is properly setting the DQ 61. when I feel im close the next track will reset any confidence gained. Perhaps my expectations are too high for my price point. Thanks for responding btw. to answer your question, No, I haven't made any other adjustments other then the equipment. I bought two large dynamat packages to cover every surface I can get to with reasonable effort. I'm not familiar with baffles but im open to all options to better the sound. I was just stopping to  see what is out there and a sharp salesman was ringing me up. I regret not doing my homework I don't think I would have selected the 4 in cab speakers. If there isn't already a similar thread  I will begin one fi its permitted.  im working on the long posts.

Daviddto- Thanks fo the reply. I'm in Pearland and work in west Houston. BW -8 & Katy frwy

Welcome seems to be quite a few houstonians on here

Texas as a whole has a huge audio scene.

WELCOME.gif

Reconstructing isn't so easy. Always better to start with a fresh signal. Hopefully we can help you sort through this in the most cost effective manner.