sundownz

Sundown SD-3 Line : In the Works

Sundown SD-3 Line : In the Works

-----

Thanks to the success of the SD-2 8" model I started developing the SD-3 line; this will replace all SD-2 models in 8/10/12" sizes (there is no 15 in this series).

The SD-3 motor and coil design will become under-hung like the 8" model on the bigger 10 and 12" models -- I am also further optimizing the parameters of all models for sealed enclosures... even the 8" model will be tweaked a bit more. They have the same topology as the 8" -- a 1" top plate and 1/2" long coil -- but the 10/12 design uses a 2.5" diameter coil compared to the 2" on the eight.

As far as release date... by the time prototype is done and production is done probably October or so.

-----

Here she is -- the first full 10" prototype :

SD-3%2010-1.jpg

SD-3%2010-2.jpg

SD-3%2010-3.jpg

I am using an inverted surround to save front mount depth.

-----

My least favorite part of verifying prototypes... cutting them down to check measurements. Also verified that the spider was, in fact, not the correct one. It was too stiff ; in the third pic you can see the spider is two layers but it should be a single layer.

Based on my testing and dissection I am doing another round of prototypes. Actually two versions... one set with only some minor gap modifications (with correct single layer spider), and one set also with a wider magnet in case the spider change itself doesn't get me where I want to be.

So hopefully I will have four more prototypes soon.

IMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

IMAG0373.jpg

Nice!

Cool looking woofer!

Should be a great addition and a very unique series in our line being fully sealed optimized smile.png

Should be a great addition and a very unique series in our line being fully sealed optimized smile.png

That is good to see. :)

Love the surround on this woofer.

What is the Sd on the 8?

Could be the picture but it looks much smaller because of the cone and surround combo compared to others in your lineup.

My apologies what is the Sd on this 10 prototype?

Are the sealed box sizes going to be the same as they currently are or better by chance? Are these still expected in October?

I don't think we'll make October; I am still tuning the suspension on them a bit and I'm waiting on another round of soft parts.

I am quite pleased with the 10" model -- we fired one up on Friday with what I believe will be the production suspension in a test box in a vehicle (CRX was test vehicle). Tons of bottom-end and extremely clean and tight bass reproduction. Our box was about 0.6 before displacement; I want to try a bit smaller. We tested everything from rap music to Mudvayne on it smile.png

These are a driver with a hard limit -- something to keep in mind. As both an under-hung and relatively shallow design there isn't much excess clearance so things can bottom out. It takes quite a bit based on my test (we had an NS-1 on it as it was already installed in the test vehicle). It is very low distortion up until hard bottom.

It looks like we will end up with different motors on each size; 8, 10, 12 all with different motors. The specs on the 10" ended up great with the 190mm OD motor, but it won't cut it for the 12" so we'll probably use the 220mm OD motor. So obviously pricing will reflect this; I am still working on the final pricing and will announce when I have it -- but I feel like they will be worth every penny for small, sealed box, high fidelity applications.

Edited by sundownz

Any new info on these? Release date? Possibly more power then the SD-2s? Im really interested in these.

They will definitely NOT handle more power / abuse than the SD-2 models -- the suspension is much softer.

They will sound better and get lower in sealed boxes than the SD-2s -- by a good margin.

I will be starting production on the 10s shortly... 90-days or so after that.

I'm going to be doing 2 10s ported in my truck, should I wait for the sd-3s? or would the sd-2s be better. I'm not in any hurry, so either way works for me.

If you are more concerned with ported output I'd go with the SD-2s as I am concentrated on sealed performance in the SD-3

Revised ETA is late February at this time; they did not make it on my containers that just shipped -- so they will ship in about 4-6 weeks on the next set.

The 12" prototypes are completed @ the factory and on their way to me... since I nailed things such as surround thickness & compliance down on the 10s these were pretty simple. We did have to use a motor 30mm wider to drive the additional mass; so keep that in mind when I formulate pricing :

SD-3%2012-1.jpg

SD-3%2012-2.jpg

* The machined arms are just on the prototype. I am not going to spend the extra to do that on production since there is no performance gain.

SD-3%2012-3.jpg

SD-3%2012%20D4%20parameter.jpg

* Factory spec on the D4

SD-3%2012%20D2%20parameter.jpg

* Factory spec on the D2

I like how it is going.  A market segment that is not getting enough focus.

I got pricing worked out -- the SD-3 12" will be $225 -- the 10" is $199 -- these are MAP from any authorized dealer.