Sign in to follow this  
osiris10012

Question about 15" ethos port area?

Hello everyone. I was searching around and ran across the 15" ethos and it has really caught my eye. Looks like a great quality woofer and the fact that it likes small enclosures is awesome. I have been wanting a 15" but couldn't seem to find enough room for one because most seem to like 4 cu ft. Now on to my question. I was reading on the dss site that the recommended enclosure is a 3 cu ft tuned to 32 hz. What threw me off was the suggested port area of 75 in sq. I understand all woofers are different and require a different amount, but this seems like a lot. My question is would I be able to reduce the amount of port area by some without any negative effects on SQ and if so by how much? I really like the looks of this woofer but I don't think I will have enough space if it needs that much port area. This will be for just one 15" in a daily set up. My goal is a lot of output while sounding great doing it. Thank you on advance.

I can't speak to your specific needs- But Quentin suggested to me to use 52" per sub for best results in my situation.  But I am tuning very low for a flatter response curve.  Best thing to do is PM Q with your goals, and he can help you out.

40-50sq in will be plenty in a 3cu box. 

I understand your confusion as I had the same thoughts when building my enclosure. I'm not sure of too many subs that want close to half area of their own surface area. The look on peoples faces when I should them my ports on my enclosure is priceless. 4 15's with 2 12" round ports and peoples first words are "that's too much" then I have to explain that the sub specs actually want closer to 75 and they just flat out don't believe me. So even though I'm using 56 per I will say I think that it is just right. 

Dang. I have 312 sq in for 3 15s in 7.5 cubes net.

Lol

The recommended port area is per Richard Small's minimum port area to minimize port compression. Using less port area will not alter "sq" unless it's so small you can hear it chuff.

Lol

You have 1 purpose.. demolish.

Open your doors and go full tilt and I'm sure we will have different cone control. It truly is about the build we go for. I really do want to get a demo from yours one day.

Lol

You have 1 purpose.. demolish.

Open your doors and go full tilt and I'm sure we will have different cone control. It truly is about the build we go for. I really do want to get a demo from yours one day.

I compete in outlaw. Door wide open!

Wow thanks for all the replies everyone. I was playing around on the Torres calculator and I think 60 sq in of port is doable. Just need to do some double checking. Glad to hear this should work fine. Just trying to be positive I can run this because it looks like shipping is going to be over half the cost of the woofer.

Wow thanks for all the replies everyone. I was playing around on the Torres calculator and I think 60 sq in of port is doable. Just need to do some double checking. Glad to hear this should work fine. Just trying to be positive I can run this because it looks like shipping is going to be over half the cost of the woofer.

When modeling don't use the 32.5mm Xmax figure. The correct definition of Xmax is coil over hang which is 23.5mm.

Awesome thank you for the information. Another thing I have been seeing is these are rather musical. Do they perform well on the faster/ higher frequencies such as fast pace drumming in rock music?

Awesome thank you for the information. Another thing I have been seeing is these are rather musical. Do they perform well on the faster/ higher frequencies such as fast pace drumming in rock music?

Yep, they have been designed with FEA modeling and Klippeled to ensure great transient response throughout the passband.

Sweet. Ok I hope this is my last couple questions. Would it be ok to run the ethos in a slightly larger enclosure, say around 3.4 cu net? I am having an easier time getting more port area with a slightly larger enclosure. I have a design that puts me at 70 in sq of port in a 3.39 cu ft tuned to 32 hz. It will be power to the subs rated power. I plan to order as soon as I get payed in the next few days, would this be an issue? Thank you for answer my numerous noob questions.

Won't be a problem at all. You will just get slightly less boost at tuning.

Awesome. I am convinced this will be my next woofer. Is the build time still roughly around a week like your site says?

Yes build time is running 3-7 business days.

Oh man that is great news. Thank you again for answering all my questions. I can't wait to place my order.

How do these enclosure specs look? I designed it in sketchup and I am very happy with it. All I need to do is design some bracing and it will be good to go. It will also have a double baffle on the front to support this beast.

Gross: 5.25 ft3

Port Volume: 1.62 ft3

Port Area Per Cube:  17.46 in2

Port Area:  58.5 in2

Net Volume 3.35 ft3

Tuning Freq:  32 Hz

The ethos saved the day. I had given up on the idea that I could fit a 15" in the space I was willing to give up. Then I found the ethos. Man am I excited.

As one of a few ethos owners, I can honestly say you will not be disappointed. These drivers are absolutely beautiful in every aspect. :)

I need to record this for you to see it to believe it type of thing. Very fast and very accurate.  The ethos to me sound very light on their feet!

It's great to hear all the positive comments. I plan to order it on Monday when I get payed. After I get my bracing figured out I will post a pic of the design so I can get all of your opinions.

Man I wish I had funds for some ethos. Been wanting a pair since Q released em. People seem to love them.

Alright I think I am finally happy with my design. Only change is now it is 3.32 cu ft net tuned to 32.13 Hz because of the bracing adjustment. What do you all think?

3ade3990-250d-4bc0-b2a6-19b0ba223d32_zps

Edited by osiris10012