Dang you are quick with the sketchup...I need to figure out how to draw in the aeroports...

lol, thanks.

I can draw the tubes up for you and send them to you to import as an object to use in other drawings if you like. Ever see the XCON I drew up? lol

Looking good. I like the last design. Any idea how the different firing and port directions will effect output?

:)

Looking good. I like the last design. Any idea how the different firing and port directions will effect output?

Thanks.  Yeah I think it's how I'm going to go just because the down firing designs make me nervous and the forward firing design just eats up space unnecessarily compared to the side firing.  Without building them all and testing there's no good way to know how it's going to affect the sound or output.  I am fairly certain the side firing design will cause more rattle issues than the other designs but that's what sound deadening is for.

smile.png

adhd.gif

woot.gif

Just got the amps and the Maestro RR unit!!  I even got an upgrade!  There was a note in the box that they were out of the ST-1KDM amp so they sent me the Z-1K in it's place!!

Got more stuff to order for sure, but it sure is nice to see things rolling in already!

29DD0628-3048-432E-8499-1CDC1087A318.jpg

I'm thinking hard about taking a leap of faith.  Apparently new for 2014 PPI and Soundstream have released new DSP's that are just about as powerful as previous models but with an easier interface and much lower price points.  I found the new PPI DSP-88R at OnlineCarStereo.com for $209 with free shipping and at other places for around $250.  At that price point and with the same power it's hard to imagine a better deal on an 8 channel DSP.

The only thing I've found so far that it's lacking is the Parametric EQ.  Not sure how much of a show stopper that is but the 31 band graphic EQ, Fully 20-20khz 6db-48db high/low/bp crossovers, time alignment and gain/attenuation for each individual channel is still there.  They can also handle up to 5V of input signal.  So I dunno.

EDIT: Nevermind, each band of the EQ has it's own Q adjustment just can't select the frequencies so Hell I really don't know now.

Sounds pretty nice for the price. Just hope it lasts as long as your other equipment.

Where did you grab those Zapcos from if you dont mind me asking?

I'm thinking hard about taking a leap of faith.  Apparently new for 2014 PPI and Soundstream have released new DSP's that are just about as powerful as previous models but with an easier interface and much lower price points.  I found the new PPI DSP-88R at OnlineCarStereo.com for $209 with free shipping and at other places for around $250.  At that price point and with the same power it's hard to imagine a better deal on an 8 channel DSP.

The only thing I've found so far that it's lacking is the Parametric EQ.  Not sure how much of a show stopper that is but the 31 band graphic EQ, Fully 20-20khz 6db-48db high/low/bp crossovers, time alignment and gain/attenuation for each individual channel is still there.  They can also handle up to 5V of input signal.  So I dunno.

EDIT: Nevermind, each band of the EQ has it's own Q adjustment just can't select the frequencies so Hell I really don't know now.

Why buy the PPI when you can buy the source. Just a pair of miniDSP's in a box. My concern is if PPI limited the software...

If you do that though, buying a comp set would be dumb as well as there is PLENTY of processing to do everything active. Then even some mediocre drivers and you can outperform the Bravox you wanted to put in originally.

Where did you grab those Zapcos from if you dont mind me asking?

Certainly.  I picked them up from a place called Exquisite Collectables.  The website and place looks pretty generic but they're straight up legit.  Not only did they have the lowest prices I've found on the web for the amps (only $30 cheaper average tho) but at the time they were running a 20% off special that applied to the amps so I got them for $640 and shipping was only $5.  They also shipped the amps the same day, I ordered them Monday and got them Thursday.  Pretty tough to beat IMO, just do a search on their website for Zapco. 

EDIT:  I think the collectibles site is just another part of their business.  When I looked closer all the car audio stuff is on a site called Creative Car Audio that had all the same info, pics, and prices at the collectibles site.  Oh, and the 20% off is still going on.

Why buy the PPI when you can buy the source. Just a pair of miniDSP's in a box. My concern is if PPI limited the software...

If you do that though, buying a comp set would be dumb as well as there is PLENTY of processing to do everything active. Then even some mediocre drivers and you can outperform the Bravox you wanted to put in originally.

From what I've read the PPI DEQ.8/Soundstream Synthesis are the MiniDSP built units.  The software screenshots even have the MiniDSP logo on the software.  The new PPI DSP-88R/Soundstream Harmony are their own units that utilize a different processor and have different software.  They lack a few of the MiniDSP attributes such as the Parametric EQ and input assignment but are simpler to operate and setup and they can handle a higher input voltage than the MiniDSP/DEQ.8/Synthesis units.  I could easily be wrong, but that's what I've found while reading up on them.

Trust me, I know that having a DSP would make messing with components pretty asinine but the way I look at it is like this:  1. My wife doesn't know shit about this equipment but she does understand cutting holes in the panels, lol.  2. Having the DSP now gives me a much better eq and such to use on components which gives an advantage over the horribly limited controls in the HU.  3. I'll have it already installed for the future when she blows the components and we've had it long enough she no longer cares about what I cut up and modify to fit speakers in so a great active setup will be exactly what is done.

I'm at this as more of a help for now, need for the future kind of purchase.  That makes $400 and up kinda hard to justify but $209 is doable.

2 2x4 miniDSP's are about the same price...and the miniDSP software is EASY. By far the easiest processing software I've ever seen in fact. The only downfalls I see at all with the minidsp solution is lack of an enclosure and potentially not enough voltage capability. Neither affect me at all. The other of course is that a PC is even more flexible processing wise, but for what you need to do they are still pretty capable.

And seriously, with just a wee bit of tweaking time you'll never mix the Bravox.

2 2x4 miniDSP's are about the same price...and the miniDSP software is EASY. By far the easiest processing software I've ever seen in fact. The only downfalls I see at all with the minidsp solution is lack of an enclosure and potentially not enough voltage capability. Neither affect me at all. The other of course is that a PC is even more flexible processing wise, but for what you need to do they are still pretty capable.

And seriously, with just a wee bit of tweaking time you'll never mix the Bravox.

Believe me man, I KNOW what you're saying and as always I appreciate your help and insight.  The problem is that I also KNOW my wife and doing anything more than what I've got her talked into so far is just not going to happen anytime soon.  While I may be worried about exactly how it's going to sound first and what it's going to look like second those aren't her priorities.  Since she's the one driving it most often and feels like it's HER vehicle I'm at her mercy on it.  Besides that I subscribe to that good 'ol saying, "A happy wife makes for a happy life."  So as long as she's happy I'm happy enough and in a few years when the new wears off and/or she detonates the components I can go the route of making it exactly as I want it.

Sure, it's a bit of a waste of time and money but at this point I just look at it as an opportunity to gain more experience with the different equipment and installations.

Got the HU today!  I'm going to take the harnesses for the HU and the Maestro to work tomorrow to solder and heat shrink up nice and clean.  The only thing I'm waiting on now is the install kit for the 4 channel amp, SDS deadening products, and the Soundstream Harmony DSP.  I ordered the Soundstream instead of the PPI because the PPI was out of stock at OCS and if I was going to have to pay the same prices I figured I would get the one that was a little more pleasing to look at.  Otherwise they're the exact same unit.  

Again, I KNOW it's a little bit of a waste but it's only wasting the active capabilities of the DSP.  The EQ, time alignment, independent channel gain adjustments, and crossovers are still worlds ahead of the controls built into the Kenwood so it's not a complete and total waste.  I got one for the Jimmy too which will be VERY nice for it with the full ranges and dedicated midbasses in it.

Plans as of now are to use the Bravox set.  She decided she's okay with a little bit of work showing so I'll be installing the Bravox 3-ways the only way I could figure out.  It appears the sail panel is removable from the door panel so I'll be fabricating a new sail panel to house the midrange, the tweeters will go in the factory location on the A-Pillars and the woofers into the factory locations in the doors.  DEFINITELY not optimal but I'm hoping to get lucky like I did with the components in the van.  Even though the tweeters and mids were separated so far from each other it worked VERY well.  If it sucks, well, it's just going to have to be subpar until she either gets over me doing the custom work to it or she wants me to do something different.  I just have to be happy with it until she isn't, no biggie, I got the Jimmy for the SQ listening anyway!

3C25CDCB-6A01-4557-94FB-A6F4E1FA0126.jpg

mm fancy!

Finally got started on this!  

Took the opportunity yesterday to start installing the Kenwood and Maestro.  I would have finished it yesterday except a storm came through and made it a little tough to be working outside, lol.  After getting it finished up this morning I gotta say I'm a little disappointed in the Maestro.  It basically works as it should but the factory mic wouldn't work through it and pressing the voice/call button doesn't do anything.  No voice prompt, no SIRI (if I turn it on), no other indication that it works except when someone calls it does answer a call when someone calls in.  Aside from that it seems to work just fine.

The HU isn't too shabby but besides the touch screen and bluetooth has the same functionality as the KDC-X492 I originally had in the Jimmy.  Tearing into the truck to do the HU was very insightful though and I'm beginning to get a good lay of the land (so to speak) on where and how wires are going to need to be ran and things of that nature.  I did find out that getting new speaker wires into the doors is going to be an absolute nightmare.  

Well, onto some pictures.

Soldering and heatshrinking the stereo harness to the GM05+ T-harness for the Maestro unit.

CB83D9CB-B7D6-43E6-B397-31DEFA7BF0FA.jpg

BDFEC949-635E-47B3-99CA-DA0A00BD837A.jpg

99F06423-06F1-490F-8774-FCD0604D6CB7.jpg

Got the dash apart and started getting things hooked up.  At this point it really is as simple as plug 'n play.

8900C9D7-CDCD-4412-B1FF-20AB8EC239DC.jpg

4DF13E2F-42E2-4DBB-BC92-11D5B8C71C30.jpg

The end result.

27798258-CD5B-479E-9019-21737FA7C4B7.jpg

Also the pair of Soundstream Harmony's arrived today while I was outside finishing up the HU install.  I know it really seems to be a waste to Sean, but I didn't feel it was a bad deal and I think it will be a fair stepping stone going up to the mDSP or similar.

D81F9DE9-46A4-4FC5-8AE7-C972EC583F6E.jpg

Okay, so it's been a little while since I posted up any updates on this.  It's taken me awhile to come up with a good way to design a way in which to mount the midranges in the sail panel of the truck.  I think I've finally gotten it figured out and began to work on the base plates that will hold the baffle to the location where the sail panel goes on the door.  The base plates are made from 1/8" thick steel plate and they'll mount to the door itself by the two nuts/studs that hold the mirror on the door.  Then the wood baffles will bolt to the base plate with three 1/4" bolts and house the midrange.  If all goes well it should look about like factory except a little larger and with a speaker in it, lol.  It should also be sturdy enough to last a long time.  Also, in the future when the CS603CF's are retired the factory sail panel can simply be reinstalled and no one will ever be the wiser.  Well, except maybe you guys since you'll see it in it's modified state. :D

Onto a couple of pics.  I snapped them real quick while cutting the base plates out.

This one is of the template I made.  I used some flat air duct material to cutout and fashion a template.  It's easy to cut and manipulate but stronger than paper or cardboard and holds it's shape when you need it to.  The two small pieces are the parts that will attach it to the door at the side mirror studs/nuts.

806E3E7E-A4E7-4718-9C84-8EE9B59EE50B.jpg

This one is the first of the actual base plates that got cut out and cleaned up.

48AB3BB3-6828-4A09-ACB1-EF533E2B8378.jpg

Hopefully I can get them finished up tomorrow so I can start on the baffles this weekend.

Seems like a nice approach. ..keep it up

Thanks brother.  I'm hoping it all works out well enough to keep the wifey happy!

On another note, the DCON's arrived!  I gotta say I really like the design on the new motor.  Of course it's pretty much like the ICON and XCON motors, only smaller, but it just seems so fitting.  I'm really looking forward to getting the install done to see and hear what the new motors do.

Pics of the new DCON 10.

65F73097-D486-43F1-B9A1-20231B82D7D8.jpg

830199BD-08CC-42E7-8ACA-FA1B2A1B0105.jpg

7D7A626B-E7A6-46CB-972F-6644A0482C6D.jpg

Such a wonderful little sub.  It's a shame they're not more popular than they are.  I don't think people generally realize just how good they can perform for the price and power.

Nice

Thanks guys!!

Another small update. I got the brackets for the sail panel locations almost completely done today. If life cooperates I'll get them bolted into place this weekend and begin the fabrication of the baffles that will house the mid ranges and mount to these brackets. It will probably be real hard to tell how they're gonna work but if all goes well it will make more sense (and hopefully look real close to factory) when it all finally comes together.

40CCE1B9-E813-4FF3-9AAD-A61D9007A0EF.jpg

7C625DCE-E806-41C1-92AB-E45E78D5DA82.jpg

You can see the piston crown and skirt from one of our engines at work there under the sail panel brackets in that first picture too, just FYI.

Okay, here's a little bit of the work I've gotten done on it so far.  The brackets seem to fit up perfectly though I did find I need to trim a little in a spot or two where the upper mounting nuts are.  With the great fit I was able to get some final measurements for the wood baffles and am in the process of working those out.  I'm about to really dig into getting this build underway now!

Here's a shot of the sail panel without the factory cover in place and the second one of the nuts for the side mirror removed and it ready for the bracket to go into place.

2FD58BAA-7C08-4373-8DC8-A8F514F0F01F.jpg

BA0D258D-4E89-4B0C-84DC-1AD7451D1DF4.jpg

Now here's a shot with the bracket installed.  It will give a super strong point to which the baffle for the midrange can be mounted.

77F8DDB4-EBC2-40A3-B41E-EAB1FBBF0B24.jpg

Just for the fun of it, here's a shot of me holding the midrange up near where it will be mounted just for the visualization.

F52820C3-22FC-4BBE-9623-CCDE22952936.jpg

There's still SO much work to be done.  Least of which is the baffles for the woofers, the box for the subs and the false floor for the amps.  Damn I wish I had more free time!

Okay, here's a little bit of the work I've gotten done on it so far.  The brackets seem to fit up perfectly though I did find I need to trim a little in a spot or two where the upper mounting nuts are.  With the great fit I was able to get some final measurements for the wood baffles and am in the process of working those out.  I'm about to really dig into getting this build underway now!

Here's a shot of the sail panel without the factory cover in place and the second one of the nuts for the side mirror removed and it ready for the bracket to go into place.

2FD58BAA-7C08-4373-8DC8-A8F514F0F01F.jpg

BA0D258D-4E89-4B0C-84DC-1AD7451D1DF4.jpg

Now here's a shot with the bracket installed.  It will give a super strong point to which the baffle for the midrange can be mounted.

77F8DDB4-EBC2-40A3-B41E-EAB1FBBF0B24.jpg

Just for the fun of it, here's a shot of me holding the midrange up near where it will be mounted just for the visualization.

F52820C3-22FC-4BBE-9623-CCDE22952936.jpg

There's still SO much work to be done.  Least of which is the baffles for the woofers, the box for the subs and the false floor for the amps.  Damn I wish I had more free time!

Nice build coming together.