Sign in to follow this  
riored4v

Looking for a new 12" sub

Currently have a 12" ICON but when getting ready to build a ported enclosure for it, the sub suffered its fate. So Im looking for a new sub to replace it. I had a custom box designed for it with 1.75cuft at 32hz. If I can still use that it would be great. Looking to power the next sub with either an Audioque 1200d or Crescendo 1500.

The DSS Ethos lools great but it seems like the amps above would under power them. I loved my ICON but not sure I want to wait 1.5 months again.

Suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Currently have a 12" ICON but when getting ready to build a ported enclosure for it, the sub suffered its fate. So Im looking for a new sub to replace it. I had a custom box designed for it with 1.75cuft at 32hz. If I can still use that it would be great. Looking to power the next sub with either an Audioque 1200d or Crescendo 1500.

The DSS Ethos lools great but it seems like the amps above would under power them. I loved my ICON but not sure I want to wait 1.5 months again.

Your box is a bit bigger than the recommended. Give me a few hours and I'll calculate how much power you will need to hit Xmax in 1.75 cft.

I personally like the aq1200 and 2200. I can not comment on any of their other amps, speakers, or subs but both those amps powered my 18" fully loaded Q (low Qts) and I was impressed. If I was going to go more power I think the SQ3500 would be my choice mainly because it would be in my price range. And you mentioned the Ethos, in the right enclosure the it wouldn't take a whole lot of power to get a good bass response and you can always upgrade your electrical and amp in the future to accommodate

Hope that helps.

Your box is a bit bigger than the recommended. Give me a few hours and I'll calculate how much power you will need to hit Xmax in 1.75 cft.

Sent an email through the DSS site last week. Maybe it didnt go through. But regarding the box, the new one was never built. If I can use the same plan without paying for a new one, great. If not, it's not a big deal.

What are your goals and budget?

Goals are pretty basic. Faily small enclosure, daily use, big bass and to keep the sub happy with ether of the above mentioned amps. Id like to keep the sub around $350 or less.

Sent an email through the DSS site last week. Maybe it didnt go through. But regarding the box, the new one was never built. If I can use the same plan without paying for a new one, great. If not, it's not a big deal.

Your the second person to tell me emails aren't going through. Guess I need to check it out. The bigger the box the less power you will need to hit Xmax. I can calculate how far the cone will move on your amp in the 1.75 cft box.

Your the second person to tell me emails aren't going through. Guess I need to check it out. The bigger the box the less power you will need to hit Xmax. I can calculate how far the cone will move on your amp in the 1.75 cft box.

Sure. If you think it would still sound good in a bigger box that would be great. I could send the plans that were sent to me to you to also see if you think it would work.

If it does work out, what is the current build time on the Ethos?

Within 7 business days

Awesome!

The Ethos in a 1.75 enclosure will move 30mm one way on 1,510 watts and 27mm one way on 1,220 watts 

Sounds like I might just do the Crescendo and Ethos combo then.

The Ethos in a 1.75 enclosure will move 30mm one way on 1,510 watts and 27mm one way on 1,220 watts 

What's the formula for calculating this?

I use SpeaD.  It's the FEA program I use to design transducers.

Hey Q, would those numbers translate to a 15" Ethos in 3.25 enclosure? Thanks

yep, the 12's are mass loaded to be nearly the same as the 15's