dharris2488

Sealed Trunk Tips... First time, any help appreciated

I usually make my baffles the exact shape as the opening into the cabin when doing a "trunk wall" . Seems to make it easier for me to seal off.

attachicon.gifsecuredownload-39.jpeg

Nice.  I have to keep mine modular, so that may or may not work for me.  But, for future sake, I'm glad you showed me a pic.  Thanks again.

Would probably have better luck looking through the photo gallery.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/gallery/album/356-honda/www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/gallery/album/356-honda/

I can elaborate later, off to work atm.

Thanks for the build pics.  After a lot of thought and advise from multiple people on this website and in person today, I decided to mount my (2) HDS3 12's in my trunk and stuff the cavities on both sides with wood and blankets.  It was sealed up good enough to see whether or not the sound would come out how I wanted.  As many have stated, I did not like the way it sounded.  No depth to the bass at all. Yeah, it was punchy as hell, but I don't know how I would ever get those body vibrating lows like a rear firing setup gives me.  There was a huge difference.

I know for a fact that my car sounds great with the subs firing toward rear and I can also really hammer out lows.  I will use the rest of my QMat to put on the lid to help reduce as much rattle as possible.  If there is something else I can do to help eliminate trunk rattle, I'm all ears... These two Ethos are going to pound the crap out of it.  At least all the work I've put in the last couple of days to seal off the trunk, did help out tremendously with the rattles on the inside of the car.  Almost no panel rattles at all.  We will see what happens when I install the Ethos.  I have a feeling it might be a different story.  Oh well, it is what it is... 

Maybe one day if I do a true "SQ" build, then and only then, will I face subs/port forward.  Until then, I'm a rear firing guy...  I will post pics when finished. 

I also installed a processor today.  Kicker Front Row to help balance out everything and give me a little more control over my system.  I'm ready for the subs to get here so I can call this build, COMPLETE!  Thanks again for all the advise guys.  You helped me save a ton of time and frustration with the forward firing setup...

Fire the Ethos forward first and you'll know what a properly engineered sub can do.

I'm really glad you guys convinced me to test it out first... I don't know why I brain farted so hard because this whole time I was telling myself I had no way to test it.  Low and behold, my amp was still in my car and all I had to do was put my old subs back in forward. Box is almost the same size, so everything matched up fairly well.  Just not enough output, or should I say, not the kind of output I'm looking for...

You should forsure try both ways with the ethos once you get them.

Different subs different results. You should re-do this test when you get the Ethos. Kind of a pain but, you never know till you try

I tried 3 different sub setups in 2 different vehicles and I enjoyed rear firing more than forward firing. Subs were Sundown Zv.1 15", SSA Icon 15" and now IA Lethal Injection 12"s.

I think it is just like anything else in car audio, it will come down to personal preference.

Fire the Ethos forward first and you'll know what a properly engineered sub can do.

So, fire it forward from the designer of the sub.... WELL, that changes things again.  Back and forth, back and forth. LOL.  I will fire forward and see what I can do.  The Front Row processor can/should help with theloverall balance of the system.  If Quentin says fire it forward, then I will. 

I guess I should see an increase in output then. 

Everything still sealed off as good as I can get it, Quentin?

I tried 3 different sub setups in 2 different vehicles and I enjoyed rear firing more than forward firing. Subs were Sundown Zv.1 15", SSA Icon 15" and now IA Lethal Injection 12"s.

I think it is just like anything else in car audio, it will come down to personal preference.

Different subs different results. You should re-do this test when you get the Ethos. Kind of a pain but, you never know till you try

Sounds good guys.  I will redo test before I make anything permanent. 

Excited for the drivers to get here.  I need to go to the DSS website and see what the cutout is for the 12" Ethos.  Need to go ahead and cut holes and put the Tnuts (whatever they're called) in the back of the baffle.  Going to use machine screws for these subs to get a nice and tight seal, also if I need to remove the subs for whatever reason, the wood won't be all chewed up.  Ready to get this finished. Missing my bass bad!!!

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/gallery/album/356-honda/www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/gallery/album/356-honda/

Thanks for the build pics.  After a lot of thought and advise from multiple people on this website and in person today, I decided to mount my (2) HDS3 12's in my trunk and stuff the cavities on both sides with wood and blankets.  It was sealed up good enough to see whether or not the sound would come out how I wanted.  As many have stated, I did not like the way it sounded.  No depth to the bass at all. Yeah, it was punchy as hell, but I don't know how I would ever get those body vibrating lows like a rear firing setup gives me.  There was a huge difference.

I know for a fact that my car sounds great with the subs firing toward rear and I can also really hammer out lows.  I will use the rest of my QMat to put on the lid to help reduce as much rattle as possible.  If there is something else I can do to help eliminate trunk rattle, I'm all ears... These two Ethos are going to pound the crap out of it.  At least all the work I've put in the last couple of days to seal off the trunk, did help out tremendously with the rattles on the inside of the car.  Almost no panel rattles at all.  We will see what happens when I install the Ethos.  I have a feeling it might be a different story.  Oh well, it is what it is... 

Maybe one day if I do a true "SQ" build, then and only then, will I face subs/port forward.  Until then, I'm a rear firing guy...  I will post pics when finished. 

I also installed a processor today.  Kicker Front Row to help balance out everything and give me a little more control over my system.  I'm ready for the subs to get here so I can call this build, COMPLETE!  Thanks again for all the advise guys.  You helped me save a ton of time and frustration with the forward firing setup...

Most of the subs I have helped install the owner preferred the sub firing into the trunk for subjective reasons. Glad you did some testing first. 

As far as tips on deadening the trunk. Install everything and physically touch the panels making noise. Then you will know where to brace/dampen. Rattles are an easy one, just decouple whatever is rattling. As far as panels resonating, you are more trying to shift the panels resonate frequency. You won't stop the panels from resonating, but can make them resonate at a frequency that isnt as audible, or atleast resonate to less of a degree. This is a better logic than thinking you are going to make the trunk acoustically dead.

Honestly the trunk panels having a little give, opposed to being super rigid, should help the sound.

No way to make it dead, can surely effect the Q though which is all that is necessary. Just focus on the right locations which J pointed out can be somewhat self evident.

Not sure what you have for eq, but I'd compare tapering it to my desires.

Most of the subs I have helped install the owner preferred the sub firing into the trunk for subjective reasons. Glad you did some testing first. 

As far as tips on deadening the trunk. Install everything and physically touch the panels making noise. Then you will know where to brace/dampen. Rattles are an easy one, just decouple whatever is rattling. As far as panels resonating, you are more trying to shift the panels resonate frequency. You won't stop the panels from resonating, but can make them resonate at a frequency that isnt as audible, or atleast resonate to less of a degree. This is a better logic than thinking you are going to make the trunk acoustically dead.

Honestly the trunk panels having a little give, opposed to being super rigid, should help the sound.

Thanks for the advise... I will be moving forward as soon as I get back into town.  My (2) Ethos are sitting at FedEx waiting for me to come pick them up.  I'm ready to finish my business in OK City and get back home!  Ready to install these and do some more testing with the Ethos. 

I spent this morning with Zak at SoundQubed/DD and got some ideas on how to seal the trunk off and make it look decent as well.  Like I said, I have ton of motivation now and I'm ready to get back home and finish this build.  Will post pics when completed, hopefully by Saturday.

Thanks for your input as well M5... I will be addressing my front stage in about 1 month, as soon as I pay off what I spent on my sub stage.  What would you recommend for someone like me to start looking into for front stage sound?  All I have as far as EQ is concerned is the Front Row by Kicker.  Not really an "EQ," but a processor that I can adjust cutoff's and crossovers.  Any suggestions from you will be appreciated.

My goals, as you might already know are the following:  Be loud and clear, if I had to pick between Loud and Clarity, I would pick clarity slightly over just loud.  As you know, I will have (2) 12" Ethos on 4400RMS (not that i'm seeing all that, or anywhere close to that), but the subs should be plenty loud.  What direction should I start looking into, as far as having a decent front stage to hang with these Ethos?

Do you plan to run active?

I don't know if m5 would say the same, but I would try some decent comps, then over the next little while tweak and tune, trying to find out what you do and don't like about them. It'll make life easier in the long run IMO.

I have been running the crescendo cz 6.5 comps. I need to change mounting locations and start trying an active setup, but I do recommend them. They are cheap and sound alright on their own. The biggest downfall I have is they are so completely overpowered by the sub stage, such as will be an issue with most front speakers.

Good luck man your gonna love those subs!

Starting with something you can sell and plan to is definitely the right choice. No way to understand at all what you like until you own something.

I think you are confused a bit, the Front Row is a crossover and has no equalizer...if I can read. Had to google it as I hadn't heard of it.

http://www.kicker.com/FrontRow

I also don't understand how you control a digital proc with analog gauges....holy backwards. I might have to call up Tracy.

Starting with something you can sell and plan to is definitely the right choice. No way to understand at all what you like until you own something.

I think you are confused a bit, the Front Row is a crossover and has no equalizer...if I can read. Had to google it as I hadn't heard of it.

http://www.kicker.com/FrontRow

I also don't understand how you control a digital proc with analog gauges....holy backwards. I might have to call up Tracy.

Well guys, sorry for being absent for a while... I put in some serious time to finish this project and I must say, the Ethos subs sound really solid.  I went ahead and mounted them sub/port forward, cabin sealed off from the trunk.  I do have some leaks that I need to find, as I can feel slight "breezes" of air when I'm in the trunk and the subs are firing.

HOLY CRAP!!!! These subs LOVE TO GO LOW!  I've never owned a driver that hit the upper 26hz and up so clean, loud, and what seems to me, with ease!  As most already know, I have (2) Q2200's strapped providing the power to these drivers and quite honestly, I think they are laughing at the power.  It's like they are telling me, more power please, more POWER please!  Maybe I will sell the amps I have now, which should go fairly quick, and I might just step up and buy a Cresendo BC3500 or even the 5500.  I think if I went with the 3500, I would wire down to .5ohm, as I would have to come up with something for the BC5500. I think .5ohm will be overkill with the 5500 and if wired at 2ohms, is just a waste of money in my opinion.  Anyway, my point is that I need more power to these subs.  I need to clamp my amps and see  what kind of power I'm getting to the subs.  I will update later for those that care.  That's my 2 cents on these subs, take it for what it's worth.  Definitely worth the every penny... If your on the fence about buying, I would say jump off and order some Ethos...

What's amazing about these subs, they seem like they are at home, or very comfortable playing 30hz (many other subs seem to struggle to get below 27-28hz, but the Ethos do it with ease).  To me, it seems as though they are more comfortable, take the power better, and sound more rich playing the lower tones.  Like I said, I've never owned subs that play this low, so powerful and clean.  Great Job Quentin!  I believe, and you already know, you have a winner on your hands here.  My subs only have about 45 minutes of play time on them, so I expect them to get louder and deeper over the next few days. 

The Kicker Front Row is a processor that I'm still tinkering with.  I can't say whether I like it yet or not.  It's definitely not an EQ M5, but rather a digital to analog converter/crossover.  It has some interesting features that I will probably NEVER use.  What I do like about it is, you set your input gains to match your amplifier/s, then adjust your crossover for whatever channel you're working with.  It has a 12/24/48db rolloff, so that is nice to have the option.  Once you set your crossovers on all your frequencies, you turn the "output" knob all the way to max output and wait for the clipping signal to light.  If it doesn't light up, then adjust your input gain slightly higher until you see the clipping indicator come on, then back off a little.  What you are trying to do is keep the gains from your amp and the processor as low as possible, to reduce signal to noise ratio as much as possible... 

Is it a bunch of hype?  Maybe... Am I in love with this thing?  I don't know yet.  I haven't really "tuned" everything in yet and I'm still learning all the functions of the unit.  I should have an update on this processor in a day or two...

Pictures/videos???

Just an FYI, DO NOT trust those clipping lights. They flat out don't work.

Glad your loving the ethos. Makes me so anxious for mine to get here.

Pictures/videos???

Making a video this afternoon... Please keep in mind, I have not finished the cosmetics.  I have the sound just about where I want it.  I need to make some adjustments to my highs, as I need a little more "chit,chit, chit," sound (best way I can describe it).  I went for a drive and played them for another 45 minutes and they keep getting better.  The lows are blowing my mind!  No joke.  Also, I'm glad I decided to tough it out and mount the subs/port forward, because I have very minimal trunk rattle now.  That was the main goal, without sacrificing too much output.

Videos in a couple of hours... I will be sure to post and let everyone know when ready.

Just an FYI, DO NOT trust those clipping lights. They flat out don't work.

M5, it's funny (well not funny) that you say that.  My clipping indicators don't come on, but the Ethos DEFINITELY tells you when you are clipping.  It's almost like the subs talk to you and say, "Push harder or WHOA man, easy with it."  Every time the sub made the distortion/clipping sound (best way I can describe it, almost like a resonating sound but slightly different), not once was the clipping light on or flashing.  You make a very good point and I hope others that are reading this take this very seriously.  I could see how one could smoke their amp or subs fairly easy... Nothing better than the ear.  Well maybe an OScope or something.

I have my gains matched on all amps and the processor to the best of my ability.  Now to fix the one high pass crossover issue and I can call it complete.  Then, off to the store to buy the cosmetic stuff I envision in my head.

Thank you everyone who has been involved in my project.  Much appreciation!  Video/s soon to come. 

One more thing... What sucks is, these subs are so heavy that there is no way I will be pulling this enclosure in and out (enclosure with drivers is around 175-200lbs).  Looking back on the build now, I wish I would have built the enclosure in the car and stuck some 15's in there.  That's not saying that I'm at all upset with the 12's.  They really get the job done.  The only thing I do regret is buying D2 coils, as I tested both of my amps out on .5ohm and they handled flawlessly.  Oh well, I imagine I will recone eventually... Sorry for the long post.  Just really excited!

Glad your loving the ethos. Makes me so anxious for mine to get here.

All I'm going to say is you're going to love them... I promise.  Wait till you hear how clean the lows are. I can't get over it.  My enclosure is tuned to 32.5hz and they are hitting 27hz like it's nothing.  I have my subsonic set at 27hz, just for protection.  I was playing around earlier and turned subsonic off and I could get 23hz clean, not on heavy power though.  Didn't want to destroy my drivers before I got to show them off!  That's low for a 12" driver in my book... :)

That's awesome. I haven't owned a 15" in a long time so I can't wait to hear that bad boy dig deep. Thanks for the info.