dharris2488

Sealed Trunk Tips... First time, any help appreciated

That's awesome. I haven't owned a 15" in a long time so I can't wait to hear that bad boy dig deep. Thanks for the info.

Oh, it's going to dig for you... I have a feeling you will be quite amazed at how low it will really go.  If my 12's go as low as they do, i can't imagine what a 15 will do. 

Video coming in 5-10 minutes.  Please keep in mind that my cosmetics ARE NOT finished.  When officially completed, you will see no wires or QMat.  Hopefully all you see is subwoofers and the port.  I have something special planned for the wall behind my seats... Also, thinking about moving my amps to the trunk of my car once it cools down a little here in Texas.  For now, they are staying in the air conditioning! :)  The whole time i shot the video, i had my AC running!  So, I know I lost some voltage, but I'm still impressed with what I was able to capture in the short video.  Trying not to run them to hard right now....  That won't last long! lol.

This is the second video I shot and it wasn't the one I wanted to put up first.  But anyway, you will get the idea.  This video doesn't show the subs or the amps.  Let me work on the first video I shot and hopefully I will have it posted in about an hour.  The first video shows the Ethos doing their thing MUCH better than this video.  For the meantime, you guys can watch this video...

http://youtu.be/OYYKmYUBP1E

It's looking like it will be around 45-1hr for the next video... It will show the subs and the setup better.  Video is a little longer and shows much more than the last video.  Should be posted soon...

Size of the subwoofer has nothing to do with how low it will play.

I don't think anyone stated that the size of a subwoofer will determine how low it plays.  The 15" Ethos sub will play the lows with much more authority than my 12" Ethos...  That's what we're getting at.  A 15" subwoofer will hit 25hz cleaner, louder, and more consistently than an 8" sub... I realize that I can get a 6.5" sub to play 25hz, but it won't have any "umpff" to it...  And I do realize that it's all in the design of the enclosure.  The T/S parameters need to be there as well, if you plan on tuning 8" subs down to 32hz. No need to pick apart the statements above... 

I'm definitely not a film director, but here is another video of the install.  Now, time for the cosmetics and to be finished with this build!

http://youtu.be/IYQDlyGgHxU

I don't think anyone stated that the size of a subwoofer will determine how low it plays.  The 15" Ethos sub will play the lows with much more authority than my 12" Ethos...  That's what we're getting at.  A 15" subwoofer will hit 25hz cleaner, louder, and more consistently than an 8" sub... I realize that I can get a 6.5" sub to play 25hz, but it won't have any "umpff" to it...  And I do realize that it's all in the design of the enclosure.  The T/S parameters need to be there as well, if you plan on tuning 8" subs down to 32hz. No need to pick apart the statements above... 

no you dont seem to understand. All things equal, a 15 will only be louder than a smaller sub across its entire response. Terms like cleaner or consistent dont apply in any way. To put it another way. Its completely possible to have an 8" sub and 15" sub with the same frequency response from 20hz-100hz however the larger sub would have the output advantage. 

Not trying to be mean but why are the videos so shaky?

It's the camera.  It's tiny and I was moving a lot.  I will fix it on YouTube... Give me a minute and I will get the shakiness out.  Oh, and I guess i shouldn't have smoked that 8ball of meth today! lol.  I will go fix it now...

Both videos are editing now, so the shakiness should be gone in a little while.  YouTube is doing there thing to stabilize it.  Sorry about that, I did zero editing as you can probably tell! :)

It's the camera.  It's tiny and I was moving a lot.  I will fix it on YouTube... Give me a minute and I will get the shakiness out.  Oh, and I guess i shouldn't have smoked that 8ball of meth today! lol.  I will go fix it now...

Yea that meth will get you pretty shaky :) lol

no you dont seem to understand. All things equal, a 15 will only be louder than a smaller sub across its entire response. Terms like cleaner or consistent dont apply in any way. To put it another way. Its completely possible to have an 8" sub and 15" sub with the same frequency response from 20hz-100hz however the larger sub would have the output advantage. 

Ok, you win. I have a trophy around here somewhere...

I don't think anyone stated that the size of a subwoofer will determine how low it plays. The 15" Ethos sub will play the lows with much more authority than my 12" Ethos... That's what we're getting at. A 15" subwoofer will hit 25hz cleaner, louder, and more consistently than an 8" sub... I realize that I can get a 6.5" sub to play 25hz, but it won't have any "umpff" to it... And I do realize that it's all in the design of the enclosure. The T/S parameters need to be there as well, if you plan on tuning 8" subs down to 32hz. No need to pick apart the statements above...

They will be nearly the same. The 12's are mass loaded to get nearly the same response as the 15's. If mass wasn't added to the cone while keeping the same motor strength and suspension set up they would have fallen off about 1/2 octave higher. On paper anyhow.

I don't think anyone stated that the size of a subwoofer will determine how low it plays. The 15" Ethos sub will play the lows with much more authority than my 12" Ethos... That's what we're getting at. A 15" subwoofer will hit 25hz cleaner, louder, and more consistently than an 8" sub... I realize that I can get a 6.5" sub to play 25hz, but it won't have any "umpff" to it... And I do realize that it's all in the design of the enclosure. The T/S parameters need to be there as well, if you plan on tuning 8" subs down to 32hz. No need to pick apart the statements above...

They will be nearly the same. The 12's are mass loaded to get nearly the same response as the 15's. If mass wasn't added to the cone while keeping the same motor strength and suspension set up they would have fallen off about 1/2 octave higher. On paper anyhow.

Whatever engineering that went into this sub is definitely getting the job done.  I'm about to go take another ride just to listen to them again.  Loving the new build!  Can't wait to get the cosmetic portion of it completed now.  It's going to drive me crazy this week.  Thanks again and good luck with your business.  I have a feeling you will get some orders from my neck of the woods, once a few people around here, hear what I have.  :)

Do you have plans to come out with any amps?  I thought I read somewhere you were trying to put something together?  Just curious...

Yea amps are easy. All I have to do is call Korea and tell them I want x watts at y volts at z ohms and they can whip them out. Everyone and their moms has amps so I'm going to add to the sub line and raw drivers.

The trident comes this October. Then a few smaller subs next spring.

In the mean time I am working with Morel to OEM a few of their raw drivers to my specs for car audio. And Solen may supply high quality crossover components in case a customer wants passive instead of active.

Gotcha.... Didn't realize it was so easy to have an amp made.  Curious to the see the Trident.  The the 5KRMS sub right?

No, the Trident is supposed to be 3.5K right?  Not 5...

Those look loud. I see you also lost your rear view mirror too. Lol

I'm definitely not a film director, but here is another video of the install. Now, time for the cosmetics and to be finished with this build!

In the video you said digital sound system, its Direct sound solutions lol Edited by Stephen93s10

Somewhere around 3.5 thermally. It's got a stupid amount of BL for it's moving mass. It won't take much to get going.

I'm definitely not a film director, but here is another video of the install. Now, time for the cosmetics and to be finished with this build!

In the video you said digital sound system, its Direct sound solutions lol

Did I?  Sorry about that... I must have had digital on my mind when I was looking at the Kicker Front Row.  Sorry about that Quentin.  I will make sure to edit the video to reflect the correct name. 

put your video on the website and facebook.

Guys, I'm a traveling salesman and I check my computer when I can... Also, I'm new to this site and I didn't realize I had messages.  I will try to keep up better... Checking messages now.  But fyi... sometimes I may be absent for 2-3 days at a time, so be patient with me.  I promise i will get back with you.

By the way, I need to make a video of my trunk rattle.  Virtually eliminated now.  My #1 goal of this build was achieved!  Rattles drive me crazy, well rattles that I can fix that is...

Great job on the Ethos Quentin.  I know i've said that a thousand times now, but you definitely have another VERY satisfied customer.  Thinking about putting a Taramps HD5000 on them.  With my regulated alt, I think that amp may be perfect for my application, plus it will give the subs the power they're asking me for...  Can't wait to see the Trident's