Sign in to follow this  
altoncustomtech

Completely Audio unrelated.... but fun none the less!!

Just thought I'd share for the fun of it.

Ever since we bought our fourwheeler (a 2009 Honda Rancher 420AT 4x4) back in August of 2011 I've always wished we had at least another good quad for us to ride so that me and the wife could do our own things when we went out to play.  On that same note I've been after my uncle for years (long before I bought the Rancher) to sell me my cousins 1991 Honda 250X.  Although I knew it had been through a lot (I know cuz I helped A LOT!!) it was still a VERY solid quad and it also got the engine rebuilt a few years ago due to my uncle having a brain fart about the installation of the oil filter in the engine.  In the mean time of hounding him at least once a year about selling the 250X to me I learned that back in 2006 Honda started putting what's called a "Sport Clutch" in the new 250EX's.  After reading up on that great little idea I really wanted to get one for the family as it would be able to teach the manual clutch handicapped lot of them how to use a clutch without being so hard on a real manual clutched machine (kills, overrevs, underrevs, clutch dumps, etc.).  Alas the money was never right for one of those.

So fast forward to the last few weeks.  I asked my uncle, once again, about buying the 250X.  It had sat for the last 3 years due to some issue with the carb and I figured that after sitting that long if I was ever going to have the chance this would be it.  I couldn't believe my luck!!  He finally said yes!!!  So, I went and picked it up last weekend (the 21st) and brought it home.  Took the carb off and found a clogged idle jet and a passage or two that were less than perfectly clean.  Threw it back together and BOOM, it fired right up and ran perfect!  So we spent the day Sunday playing around on the new (to us) quad and having an all around good time with a 23yo machine that runs and looks like it's only a few years old.  All the fenders are in perfect shape, the seat cover is in great shape and the original, it even has the original 1991 headlight bulb (high beam only working tho) in it, lol.  $750 for a machine I've loved literally since I was a kid.

Then the unexpected happened.  I was still hunting around for a 250EX, though I was skeptical I would find one for a price I was willing to pay for it and it still be any count.  Monday (the 23rd)I logged on and checked out a few listings on CL while on lunch break at work and I ran across a 2007 250EX that was listed as being in like new shape.  Owned by a woman who had ridden it only a hand full of times, got pregnant and hadn't ridden it since.  It sounded too good to be true as the price on the listing was $2300 OBO.  I thought, "What the hell?!?" right? and called her up.  She answered the phone, we talked a little, I got the same spill as the ad stated.  After talking to her about the number of people who had been looking at it I asked if I could take a look at it that evening and it was on.  My wife, our best friend and I went down and when she opened the garage door up, damn.  The machine very literally looked like BRAND NEW.  There wasn't a spec of dirt to be found on it, the original tires still had the little rubber teets on them, there wasn't even scratches on the plastic from rubbing them against brush on a trail.  I shot her an offer of $1800, she countered with $2000 and we settled on $1900!!  Unbelievable!  I was able to get two quads I had really been wanting at great prices in a 48hr period!

Sorry for the long story guys, but the excitement has been welling up inside and I had to share it somewhere, lol.  Here's a few pics of the great new toys.  I gotta get a few more of the 250X, and yeah the 250EX has a few girly stickers on it, but what do you expect?  It was originally owned by a woman, lol.

EBC9F1F4-5528-49E3-8189-663AB40835B3_1.j

9D7CE229-30BC-4228-86CA-51FEA09F7FDA.jpg

4485EDE0-32E8-477C-BF8F-5C0F3BC28D71.jpg

368F1282-F53F-4348-84D6-E6932DBBA1EE.jpg

935B9BF7-4BAF-43D8-B63F-149A709B2785.jpg

Almost no one lives anywhere near me, but if you're ever interested in going riding someplace new come on down, up, or over!

Nice man. Love the small bikes. I have way more fun on those than my trx450r lol the 450r takes a lot of work to just put around and have fun.

Nice score man!!!

J

Nice man. Love the small bikes. I have way more fun on those than my trx450r lol the 450r takes a lot of work to just put around and have fun.

Yeah, aside from being able to ride together but doing our own thing I was afraid the wife was going to seriously hurt herself with that Rancher.  It's 680+ Lbs. of machine being driven wildly by a ~120lb. woman, lol.  She about turned it over on herself once when she put one side off in a rut playing in the mud and found out that rut was WAY deeper than she had bargained for.  Between that kinda stuff and fishtailing it at 50mph on a gravel road, ramping, and all the other kinds of insanity we all enjoy she's gonna turn the thing over on herself.  Or at least that's my fear.  At least if she turned over the 250EX it wouldn't crush her beneath it's weight and she'd have a good chance of getting the machine off if she was by herself.  Ain't no way she's lifting almost 700lbs. of Rancher.

Nice score man!!!

J

Thanks brother!

Nice, your making me miss my 94 kx250 :(

Awesome score. Those little 250's are a blast.

I made the last trip. It's ur turn to come down here.

Nice, your making me miss my 94 kx250 :(

lol, believe me I know just how you feel.

Awesome score. Those little 250's are a blast.

Thanx man. I have LOTS of GREAT memories on that 250X. They are definitely a blast.

I made the last trip. It's ur turn to come down here.

Ain't that the truth! I bet there's some awesome places to ride down there.