antoinez28

Just wondering about different mid bass

I was just wondering about different mid-bass speaker sizes... How would some one select what size speaker to put in there door form 6.5", 8", or 10"...(like 8" and 2 6.5's, or 10" only, or 4 6.5's

Use my set up for exsample... I'm not buying nothing yet I was just sitting around thinking about it.

And yes it change up abit but that's car audio

2005 tahoe

My set up- H/U iPad mini

EQ. Sound stream mpq-7xo

Front stock

Rear stock. Sold my crescendo pwx

Subs two bc2000 and 2 18" ethos (one on the way...2nd still have to pay off)

Stock alt, crescendo g31 batt with diehard platinum g31 batt, and 2 runs of 1/0 skyhigh and big 3

Music rap, anything decaf

Before anything else it depends on if we are discussing a 2-way setup where the driver will also play midrange or a 3-way where the driver will be strictly midbass.

2 way set up...

6-7" is what fits nicely in your truck. Any larger and you can't mate with a tweeter

Edited by antoinez28

6-7" is what fits nicely in your truck. Any larger and you can't mate with a tweeter

Exactly my reason for asking. In a 2-way the #1 thing to concern yourself with is selecting a driver that will properly mate with the tweeter while giving up the least amount of midbass potential. In most instances this is going to be a 6.5" or 7" driver.

Before anything else it depends on if we are discussing a 2-way setup where the driver will also play midrange or a 3-way where the driver will be strictly midbass.

I don't understand. So a 2 way setup plays the midbass and frequencies above? While the 3 way setup just plays the midbass?

I don't understand. So a 2 way setup plays the midbass and frequencies above? While the 3 way setup just plays the midbass?

no a 3 way you will have another driver that plays in between the mid bass and tweeter.

no a 3 way you will have another driver that plays in between the mid bass and tweeter.

Thanks for clarification. So do 3 way setups usually sound better than 2 way setups? Because your using each driver for a specific set of frequencies. Rather than using just using just 1 midbass driver that plays a larger range of frequencies?

Thanks for clarification. So do 3 way setups usually sound better than 2 way setups? Because your using each driver for a specific set of frequencies. Rather than using just using just 1 midbass driver that plays a larger range of frequencies?

potentially, but the install and tuning is incredibly more difficult 

Probley can get them sounding better but ALOT harder to setup. And will depend on a lot of stuff. . I haven't done a 3-way setup yet so I don't wanna say to much lol

Without an experienced tuner 3 way setups generally sound worse.

^ I remember reading a post you made about 3 way passives being a bad idea but didn't really explain why.  Could you elaborate on that here real quick?

I've probably explained it more than 50 times on the board...

Absolute horseshit compromise.

I'll give you a hint. IF they were possibly designed well at all they COULD work...if you mounted them all right next to each other in the kicks.

That is something I'd never do though.

One other hint. I've never seen a car audio passive crossover worth a shit. I am running TB W4-1337 Full Range in my office. The pair of drivers were $100 and I have $200 into the crossover. Mind you these are full range so you might say "no crossover" needed.

Can you imagine how crappy said crossover could be on a 3 way passive in particular when you account for the fact that they weren't designed in the mounting location.

Then add the shitty drivers they give you. The benefit of a 3 way is to get a REAL midbass and a near full range driver for the mid so that your music approximates a point source. They all fail on giving you shit of both. You can crap on the tweeter in a 3 way, but the other two drivers are SUPER important.

Just another marketing gimic. There are a few of those in car audio.

Luckily for the 3 way, it has more value than the SMDDDDD1

So what's your take on midranges in the doors like you see in stock 3 way systems? Take the Lexus IS system for example.

The ISF I drove had a terrible stereo. No idea what they do.

Will give you another hint though. The OE's spend jack shit on drivers. Usually under a buck. Can't make a good midrange for that.

Everything is a compromise. In a perfect world you'd get both drivers equal distant, a long ways away, nearly on axis, with no reflecting planes nearby.

The doors are none of those. I personally wouldn't go through the effort of doing a 3 way in the doors.