Chris1309ny

Questions involving grounds when using a second battery...

I have:

mechman 270 amp 

2 kinetik hc2000s

0 gauge knuknoceptz with big three -1

hifonics brz1200 (subs)

rockford prime (highs)

I installed the mechman alternator it said in the instructions to NOT ground to the body as it will cause problems so I skipped this step. My question is do I need to ground the battery in the back if the one up front is not grounded to the frame? I have ran the batteries in parallel using 0 gauge on the - terminals amd + terminals so is this step really necessary? 

My next question is using a distribution block. I have a 0 gauge distribution block that splits into two 4 gauge terminals. I have my hifonics grounded to the frame with 0 gauge and my rockford grounded with 8 gauge to the frame. My question is how do I ground these now that I am using a second battery? Diagrams tell me to run a - wire from the battery to the amp but I have 2 amps. Also do I use fuse blocks before or after the distribution block? I have all the proper equipment on hand for this (terms, solder, dmm, charger, fuse blocks etc.) I am just confused. If more info is needed let me know. Any helps is greatly appreciated as always. Thanks -Chris  

ground the secondary battery straight to the frame as well as the ground coming from the front battery

All batteries need to be thoroughly grounded as skipping this step results in large voltage drops under load or no charging from the alt at all(if no ground exists) to the batt(s).

The alt is poorly grounded to the batt ground through it's bracket.

To have stout voltage under load, front to rear ground, front to rear power, ground every batt or bank with multiple runs.

I personally run 2 runs of 4/0 power and 1 run of 4/0 ground per 270A of alt and ground batt banks with several 1-4/0 cables.

All batteries need to be thoroughly grounded as skipping this step results in large voltage drops under load or no charging from the alt at all(if no ground exists) to the batt(s).

The alt is poorly grounded to the batt ground through it's bracket.

To have stout voltage under load, front to rear ground, front to rear power, ground every batt or bank with multiple runs.

I personally run 2 runs of 4/0 power and 1 run of 4/0 ground per 270A of alt and ground batt banks with several 1-4/0 cables.

I thought your response was very confusing at first but I reread it and used my brain a little more now I understand. Thanks -chris

Edited by Chris1309ny

Mechman said not to ground the batt? Or not to ground the alt?

Mechman said not to ground the batt? Or not to ground the alt?

I am not sure I no longer have them here but it seems like the overall response is to ground both batteries in addition to a parallel run. Thanks guys now can anyone help me with the other questions?

He said not to ground to the body. The alt should be grounded to the front battery.

He said not to ground to the body. The alt should be grounded to the front battery.

The alternator is grounded to front battery using 0 gauge. My question is do I need a run from the - front battery terminal to the body? I apologize for the confusion.

Edited by Chris1309ny

The alternator is grounded to front battery using 0 gauge. My question is do I need a run from the - front battery terminal to the body? I apologize for the confusion.

Ground all negative points yes. But if going to the body make sure its very think metal and a good ground, like the radiator support or similar

If you have the alt grounded to the front battery, and a run of wire from the front battery negative to the rear battery negative then no body ground is necessary. Ground both amps to the rear battery.

If you don't have a run of wire between the battery's on the negative side then use the body/chassis. You would still want to ground the amps to the rear battery. You shouldn't need a distribution block either if you can hook the power direct to the battery.

Ground Body = No

Ground Frame = Yes

Use Grounds period = Yes -> if to frame and NOT the body

I shit you not I trained a guy about 10 years ago and he grounded his first amp instal by routing the wire out the trunk and laying it on the floor

I shit you not I trained a guy about 10 years ago and he grounded his first amp instal by routing the wire out the trunk and laying it on the floor

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything.

I'm waiting on a guy with no formal training that's done AC work all his life get in to car audio and drive a spike in the ground and ground it outside of the car.

Remind me to not have you train me on anything wink.png

My brother didn't want to pull any panels/carpet back and was in a rush to hear his new gear, so he stripped 6" of the ground wire and slammed it in the trunk latch.  Worked like a charm lol

My first ground was to the trunk latch (the stable part) when I had no damn clue.

J