Sign in to follow this  
DrDyna

Q1-2200D - Stability at lower impedances?

Hey folks. I've been considering this amplifier for a friend as the first step up to a decent amplifier, but I'm curious to know if anyone has any experience with these being used at 1/2 ohm and if they're stable that low.

I can wire the drivers for 2 ohms, but I'd rather go lower if the amplifier can cope with it, even though something tells me we're going to have charging system issues well before any amplifier over-current scenarios.

Thanks in advance!

Kinda sounds like you answered your own question...

Kinda sounds like you answered your own question...

Hah! Maybe. I'm more or less just looking to see if anyone pipes up with something like "yeah, I've been running mine into half ohm load for 7 months and no smoke yet!"

I wouldnt do it even with a good electrical for daily, just buy and amp thats put out the power you need at 2 ohms.

Well, that's exactly what you'll hear, but then again those people will also tell you they were at least running full electrical to the strapped pair. Mechman elite 370 and numerous batteries to deal with the current demand. They did a good job and I would run them again. 

Just reading the reviews- there are atleast a few doing it...I personally have run my 1200 at .5 without issue, but I was ginger with the gain and watched my voltage like a hawk.  It help up fine til I put the correct sub back in with the 1 ohm load. 

I would not suggest doing it in a daily banger,  but that is just me.  I really like my 1200 though, ballsy lil amp.  Pushes my 18" xcon with authority.

EDIT- that's what happens when you get distracted for 10 mins with work- then finish your post.LOL  2 others already answered the question.;)

Edited by Leedogg

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for. :)

Ive ran one before for a few weeks at .67 daily with a factory alt and batt and just an extra old kinetic 2400 in the back no issues. this was in my friends 99 v6 mustang

Had my 1200 at .5 daily for over a year. Zero problems.

I have ran one on a single HDC4 15 at .5 ohm on stock alt and stock battery in my wife's kia sorento for months on end.  Zero issues,  No big 3 either.  Amp is a beast. 

I have ran one on a single HDC4 15 at .5 ohm on stock alt and stock battery in my wife's kia sorento for months on end.  Zero issues,  No big 3 either.  Amp is a beast. 

Awesome man, thanks. Hey, that Black Nasty looks like a beast, pretty impressive.

I have had mine running at .5 for awhile now with no issues. It was rough on my stock electrical the first week before i got the 240 mechman and 2 agm's.... very powerful amp.... more than my hdc3 15's want... it doesn't get hot either....

99.99999% of the people who are going to give you and answer have no idea what the impedance they are presenting thier amplifiers actually is.  So honestly, you aren't going to get any objective answers to this unless someone has a swept impedance curve of thier subwoofer system and the amplifer you are talking about.

This is kind of the problem and where so many different opinions come from, they are not based on any sort of facts, just gut feeling.

You can get in trouble because guy X runs the same subs as you and the same amp and is fine, but your box may have a completely different impednace curve and you might cook your amp where guy X was fine the whole time...

99.99999% of the people who are going to give you and answer have no idea what the impedance they are presenting thier amplifiers actually is.  So honestly, you aren't going to get any objective answers to this unless someone has a swept impedance curve of thier subwoofer system and the amplifer you are talking about.

This is kind of the problem and where so many different opinions come from, they are not based on any sort of facts, just gut feeling.

You can get in trouble because guy X runs the same subs as you and the same amp and is fine, but your box may have a completely different impednace curve and you might cook your amp where guy X was fine the whole time...

good point... i rose to 1.4 from .5 at 40 hertz... any time you go lower than rated nominal you are taking a chance

I have been running the 2200D (branded as AQ, so a few years old) on a HDC4 12" Dual 1 on a half ohm.

Even though it is not a true half ohm because impedance rise and other factors, the amplifier barely gets warm to the touch.

XS 3400 bat with no other electrical upgrades in a Cadillac CTS.

Video from 7 months ago, still running it daily