Sign in to follow this  
Quentin Jarrell

Ethos and Trident preorder

In the next few days I will open preorders for the Ethos. Pricing will be as followed. Pricing does NOT include shipping.

ETHOS

10"

retail            $322.95

preorder      $273.95 

12"

retail            $329.95

preorder      $279.95

15"

retail           $339.95

preorder     $288.95

18"

retail           $359.95

preorder     $305.95

TRIDENT   preorder won't open for about 6 weeks but preliminary pricing looks like this.

for those not in the know, the Trident is the first and only transducer ever developed with three air gaps.  It uses a large 11" OD triple gap MMAG motor with 3 inch 8 layer coil.  Box specs will look similar to the Ethos. Power recommendation will be around 2,750 watts rms.  Xmax will be limited to the the driver's suspension which is about 45mm one way.  rearward xmech is 50mm.  The triple gap is used to increase sensitivity, maintain BL, and reduce power compression.  The BL curve will look a bit odd and numbers look like the following.  It will retain 100 percent BL all the way to 20mm one way.  From 20mm to 30mm one way BL evenly drops to 70 percent.  From 30mm it retains 70 percent bL all the way to 40mm one way. And it achieves this with a moving mass upwards of 40 percent less than a conventional overhung driver.   

12"

retail          $590.95

preorder    $502.95

15"         

retail          $601.95

preorder    $511.95

18"

retail          $626.95

preorder    $532.95

And as always I will offer Lay A Way

Need to start saving!!!!

Man the world is going to be DSS crazy

:woot: Edited by jay-cee

I cant wait!!

peepwall.gif

woot.gif

droolcup.gif

Man if only this was a year ago I would be running a 12" trident

Available pic of the trident or a link to one?

There will be when the preorder opens

12 spokes. Ti frames may be available for the 15's and 18's as the ornamental patent on them expires on October 4th of this years however I have not Klippeled any as of yet to determine if it'll be an "upgrade" over standard 12 spokes.

If there isn't any advantages I won't use them. I don't build stuff to look cool.

The Ti frames will allow more excursion, which would "seem" beneficial right? But, I guess the next question would be, if they do allow for more excursion, do you have the softparts to allow such?

I would say test them. I don't think the better subs on the market use them for no reason. I've also seen issues with very heavy motors having issues on the 12 spokes.

11.5 inch linear spiders are kinda nice too.

The Ti frames will allow more excursion, which would "seem" beneficial right? But, I guess the next question would be, if they do allow for more excursion, do you have the softparts to allow such?

It's not a matter of just more excursion.

1. Motor drops below desired amount of BL past 40mm one way. Current parts already move that much. Yes we can push that BL limit but it'll lose transient response if BL gets too low.

2. Having a spider linear to the capability of the motor is not needed and not desire able. Distortion caused by the suspension in the sub stage is not audible and distortion helps with two things. First it makes the sound warmer and two it increases SPL.

3. The motors steady BL values over a large stroke aren't being utilized for its "SQ" advantages. It's being used to keep sensitivity high and reduce the extra power needed to excite driver.

4. This driver was built for numbers. Will it really be an advantage to push past 40mm one way? The cone has to move at a certain speed to produce a certain frequency. There is a point where too much excursion makes it impossible to compress air at desired frequencies. An extreme example would be if the driver had a 1 foot excursion it would be impossible to produce a 60 hz tone because the cone would not be able to physical move 12 inches one way 60 times a second. You end up with cancelation issues. The loudest subs in the world don't have impressive Xmax.

Also Senchez saw a 1db increase using the weaker Magnetar sample with my current parts with a direct swap with a driver using a TI frame. So testing would have to be performed to see its actually an upgrade or not.

Also Senchez saw a 1db increase using the weaker Magnetar sample with my current parts with a direct swap with a driver using a TI frame. So testing would have to be performed to see its actually an upgrade or not.

In all fairness I think if we would have built an enclosure for that thing the increase would have been much more. 

I'd personally use the 6 spoke option with a custom plastic motor spacer if you can get them machined cheap enough. I believe the cost of the frame would offset the fact of the spacer vs a ti frame. Hell, you don't technically "need" a machined spacer, You could lengthen'd bolts with numerous nuts as well. Even a sleeved style aluminum tube spacer. Possibilities are endless really. The ti's are nice, but that doesn't negate that they are one of the most expensive baskets there are and I have a great feeling your goal was to always remain price/performance, but if using a cheaper basket cuts in to the performance margin then by all means disregard my post.

Yeah that is true, toe to toe with my other driver, it did post a better DB score. 

But it would not take the power as well, nor could it play as long with said power. It would get smelly fast. Grant it, it was in a too large enclosure, once we chopped up an 15" enclosure, power handling did increase which was around 4.5cubes. Also keeping in mind, I used an BC5500 at half ohm. 

I'm stoked for the newer model. It's gonna be a challenge to mount 6 100 pound subwoofer horizontally lol.

Working with a high end OEM'er. May have a raw driver and tweeter or two for Xmas.

Shared on Facebook.

Working with a high end OEM'er. May have a raw driver and tweeter or two for Xmas.

Hopefully the mid will have enough output to work with my horns.

Damn it, I am in the market at the moment too. Don't know if I can hold out that long.

I don't want to get too many irons in the fire.  I'll have samples in a few weeks. If i'm happy I might have them ready for black friday.