Hello Guys,

Well, I've picked up my truck from the shop today, and will officially begin to drive it daily again. So I am in the market for an Rear View Mirror / Camera options. 

As you all know, I know have a wall. I live in the state of TN. I'm not sure of their rules and regulations, but I know one rule states nothing can block your rear vision or something to that extinct. So I am wanting to combat this issue.

What I am wanting is:

A) One camera that is always "on"

B) One camera that is always "on", Second camera that is only on when in reverse. 

What my thought was to, mount an camera like, lower bumper. This camera will only be on going in reverse. Then, the other camera, maybe around the licence plate, will always be on, to see what's behind me during traffic and my daily commute. 

So this is where I'm asking for help, basically, what should I do? lol. Obviously with the option of having two camera, which is what I want, I would need to monitor's to view them. So, while typing this, I just had an idea, what if, I hook up the back up only camera to my radio, which is a 7" double din, then purchase a seperate review mirror to display the always on camera?

Any thoughts on this? Any recommendations of products? 

I am looking for high quality stuff as well, no 20$ ebay Chinese stuff. Budget would be <200$ for everything, but is negotiable. 

if you're going to have one that is always on why would you need another that switches with reverse? If you use a decent quality camera it will have very wide coverage so two would be redundant.

if you're going to have one that is always on why would you need another that switches with reverse? If you use a decent quality camera it will have very wide coverage so two would be redundant.

Yeah, that is true.

Any recommendations as far as products is concerned? 

Another idea I already have that many others have done and you could use is this.

Use 1 camera to your headunit and have it on the reverse trigger and have a switch trigger. So when you put it in reverse it comes on and when you wanna change lanes you can flip the switch and it'll turn on and you can turn it right back off afterwards. The reverse trigger usually works off of a positive trigger for the Clarions that is like Purple in color. I even have a camera we can test with and you can decide if it's a cheap POS or not. 

Another idea I already have that many others have done and you could use is this.

Use 1 camera to your headunit and have it on the reverse trigger and have a switch trigger. So when you put it in reverse it comes on and when you wanna change lanes you can flip the switch and it'll turn on and you can turn it right back off afterwards. The reverse trigger usually works off of a positive trigger for the Clarions that is like Purple in color. I even have a camera we can test with and you can decide if it's a cheap POS or not. 

Oh, It just requires a diode, switch, and camera. At least I'm hoping lol

Yeah man, let's try that. 

Anything audiovox

I will look into audiovox and see what I can find. 

I'm going to put a camera in my upcoming wall build myself but thats because i plan on getting a boat soon and making it easier to get that into the lake.

I would swing by an inspection shop and ask them, most states require you to have 2 mirrors, required is your driver side mirror and either your rearview or passenger side mirror.

I dont know of any state that has limitations on window tint/ light visibility on rear windows so therefor 0% light visibility would be legal so whats the difference between a wall or tint or vinyl?

also vehicles like the ford transit come factory with steel where the rear windows so you cant see out of them and they are non commercial vehicles

Nearly any camera will work.

Simplify this a bit. 1 camera plugged into both your headunit and an external monitor. This way you get the big screen for backing up and the little screen for regulations.

There are a TON of options like this:

http://www.afterpartz.com/us/3-5-tft-lcd-color-screen-car-rearview-monitor-dvd-vcr.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw8_idBRCExfC15My3owwSJACSDX_WJ8EQmVZL2jNnVGFz9CRHa-GFLE7grH4NxNKl_MSI7hoCbKHw_wcB

The camera is equally as easy. In my truck I am just using the stock camera with a $10 adapter to go into my PC.

Yeah one camera always on makes more sense then two, just get a separate monitor for it and your set.

May also check your tint laws. In MN where we can't tint anything you are allowed in a truck to tint your rear window and side windows with paint if you want. Fronts can't be more than 50%, but the rears can be 0%...so from that perspective you wouldn't be distracting your view IF it were a truck in MN. No idea there.

35% is all we can do in TN any window.

Legally in most states you only need two mirrors. So you could have one side mirror and a rearview and Still be legal (Toyota did this on the tercel) so as long as you have two you should be more than fine. Tint on the other hand is based on the state for sure, but many trucks straight from the come with 35% tint in the rear. I have 20% up front and 5 in the rear and never have been stopped. If a cop rolls by I'd just roll my front Windows down, or if I've been pulled over, etc.

http://www.crimestopper.com/products/safetyplus/cameras/securview-cameras.html

I use these all the time, lots of different styles to choose from. Clarion also has a nice little camera that is well priced.

As for viewing your camera, most DDin radios give you the option to reverse trigger as well as manually pull up the camera image, Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, and Clarion all do this for sure. The pioneer app radios are the easiest to use in this manner, there is an icon on the screen much like your smart phone to turn the camera on. With the camera on you simply touch the screen to return to your audio controls, when you are done with audio controls and have not touched the screen for a few seconds it flips back to the camera.

Nearly any camera will work.

Simplify this a bit. 1 camera plugged into both your headunit and an external monitor. This way you get the big screen for backing up and the little screen for regulations.

There are a TON of options like this:

http://www.afterpartz.com/us/3-5-tft-lcd-color-screen-car-rearview-monitor-dvd-vcr.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw8_idBRCExfC15My3owwSJACSDX_WJ8EQmVZL2jNnVGFz9CRHa-GFLE7grH4NxNKl_MSI7hoCbKHw_wcB

The camera is equally as easy. In my truck I am just using the stock camera with a $10 adapter to go into my PC.

thanks for that link! I really like this option. And it's fairly cheap as well!

http://www.crimestopper.com/products/safetyplus/cameras/securview-cameras.html

I use these all the time, lots of different styles to choose from. Clarion also has a nice little camera that is well priced.

As for viewing your camera, most DDin radios give you the option to reverse trigger as well as manually pull up the camera image, Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, and Clarion all do this for sure. The pioneer app radios are the easiest to use in this manner, there is an icon on the screen much like your smart phone to turn the camera on. With the camera on you simply touch the screen to return to your audio controls, when you are done with audio controls and have not touched the screen for a few seconds it flips back to the camera.

Ok cool, I see a few different options here, thanks!

There are a ton of ultra generic cameras. They'll be chinese, but at $8 each or whatever buy two. wink.png

btw, the oem ones are probably chinese too.

Even gets better now that China is outsourcing to Cambodia. Doh.gif

There are a ton of ultra generic cameras. They'll be chinese, but at $8 each or whatever buy two. wink.png

btw, the oem ones are probably chinese too.

Even gets better now that China is outsourcing to Cambodia. Doh.gif

Well as I stated, I'd like some decent video quality lol. I'm not looking for the cheapest money can by. These will be exposed to high vibration, so build quality must be half way decent, I'd doubt 8$ camera would suffice haha. Grant it, I know that mounting placement and installation is also a major role in longevity. 

I guess to be more speciific, I'm looking for an high resolution, wide angle, good build quality camera(s).

I understand, but was just pointing out they are all made together so...

AUDIOVOX !!!!!!!!!!!

I did a search for AudioVox via Amazon, and they have A LOT of different products lol. I'll have too look more into it to find their camera/monitor