j-roadtatts

Help choosing a DSP, highs and mids.

I am in the process of helping a friend choose equipment for his install. The car is a 2005 Chrysler 300M. This will be an active setup with 3.5" highs mounted flat in the dash, and 8" midbasses mounted in the doors. He already has a JVC KWV20BT hu installed. This hu is lacking a bandpass filter and time alignment. Also has limited EQ ability's.

10490301_10202506004027742_30543424_n.jp

I have suggested a stand alone digital sound processor as the owner does not want to purchase a different deck. He is fine with this. What DSP's are currently available that will allow for a active 2-way, has T/A, has a decent EQ, AND the ability of tuning from the drivers seat? As I don't keep up with all the current offerings, I am looking for suggestions. Links to said suggestions wouldn't suck either.

If you're helping a friend then i'd suggest them not being able to control any of the settings without any training with their equipment. For this reason I'd say grab a minidsp and run that and set it yourself and then he won't be able to easily change settings without a pc this way you aren't getting a call every other day wondering why his left doorspeaker sounds muffled or his mid sounds further right.

I just picked up a pair of the Soundstream Harmony DSP's.  The PPI DSP-88R is the same thing as well.  They've got the majority of the power of the miniDSP, 31 band EQ's, up to 48dB crossovers in LP, BP & HP, individual channel gain, time alignment, etc.  They lack the parametric EQ though the graphic does have adjustable Q for each band.  I guess that makes it a quasi-parametric or something of the sort.  They're also good for up to a 5V input voltage level too.  Anyway, when OCS gets them back in stock they can get picked up for $209 from them or for around $250 at other locations.

I got one for the Traverse and the other for the Jimmy.  As far as the highs and midbass, it's hard to beat the FR88 and SLS 8 combo.

Ability to tune from the drivers seat is a must. Looking for a unit that can be mounted out of the way and has a remote that is usable from the drivers seat. Would prefer not have to hook to a computer to tune.

I am not concerned with the owners ability's.  As far as tuning we will deal with that facet of the install when the time comes. 

After showing the owner the mini-DSP style ones that use a PC for tuning vs the standalone's such as the JBL MS-8, I believe a mini-DSP would fit the bill. The mini's seem to be more economic an offer an easier tuning experience.  Any other suggestions for a mini to consider? 

AS far as driver recommendations I will add music type is dub step, trap and rap. :)

I'm not sure if you have been in the doors of one of these cars, but the panel is a major pita. If you don't have a panel tool, I suggest getting one for this job. I broke several push clips in my 08 charger I had. They aren't the typical Xmas tree style, they have a receiving end in the door itself as well. They are very brittle too.

if the 3" isn't on axis you might need a tweeter covering the top end. 

It sounds like they will be using the factory location which fires straight up and is all the way forward to the glass.

eww

I am hoping to see the car in person soon and go over the mounting portion of the install. Dash pods aren't out if question, just haven't got that far yet.

I just picked up a pair of the Soundstream Harmony DSP's.  The PPI DSP-88R is the same thing as well.  They've got the majority of the power of the miniDSP, 31 band EQ's, up to 48dB crossovers in LP, BP & HP, individual channel gain, time alignment, etc.  They lack the parametric EQ though the graphic does have adjustable Q for each band.  I guess that makes it a quasi-parametric or something of the sort.  They're also good for up to a 5V input voltage level too.  Anyway, when OCS gets them back in stock they can get picked up for $209 from them or for around $250 at other locations.

I got one for the Traverse and the other for the Jimmy.  As far as the highs and midbass, it's hard to beat the FR88 and SLS 8 combo.

So, for more money and less usability? $210 buy you 2 miniDSP's with all the power of those+. Don't understand that recommendation at all. Overpay for less functionality and more...nothing.

FR 3's HAVE to HAVE to HAVE to be on axis.

If he wants in dash control it means a new headunit.

Just make sure to get the balanced miniDSP's as they have more output voltage (even when used unbalanced)

A 2x4 balanced with DC isolator. If you want processing on the sub and can't use the headunit for it a second one will solve that. Need appropriate plugins depending on the configuration.