Sign in to follow this  
riored4v

Budget 12" sub help

My g/f is wanting to use my old sub box to replace her current RF sub setup.  She has a PPI i450 (450w @ 2ohm) amp and we've been looking at either SSA DCON or the IA I-series. 

Goals would be that the sub has to work with the current amp and work well with the box.  Box is made for a 12" sub and is 1.35cu ft (was previously made for an ICON) and is sealed.  She's primarily looking for more output and deeper bass than her current sub which is a 10" $50 RF sub, so I know either of these will be better.

Which sub would be the better to go with?  Are there better options than the two mentioned above?

Edited by riored4v

What's the budget?

What's the budget?

Sorry.. forgot that part.  I think she'd like to keep it under $200 (incl shipping)

Whats the power rating of the amp in watts rms?

Did the sub burn up or what happened to it?

Edited by pmureika

450w @ 2ohm

260w @ 4ohm

Its currently at the 4ohm rating with the 10" RF sub.  There's nothing wrong with the sub, she just wants more bass/volume.  The sub sounds good for the price, but she just wants more.

450w @ 2ohm

260w @ 4ohm

Its currently at the 4ohm rating with the 10" RF sub.  There's nothing wrong with the sub, she just wants more bass/volume.  The sub sounds good for the price, but she just wants more.

I think the ones you are looking at are good choices or even the E series sundown. SQ also makes a nice low end sub.

But I don't think your going to gain much volume from any because of the power you are running with a sealed box.

Edited by pmureika

450w @ 2ohm

260w @ 4ohm

I think the ones you are looking at are good choices or even the E series sundown. SQ also makes a nice low end sub.

I'll check out the SQ sub.  I was looking at Sundown's previously but I couldnt find the airspace requirements for them so at that point, I pretty much narrowed it down to the DCON and I-Series subs.

Try a ported enclosure

Try a ported enclosure

That might happen eventually.  She mainly wants a good sub since the current sub was to just get something going.  If she isn't happy with the next sub in the sealed enclosure then we'll build a ported enclosure for it. 

I'd try a 12 if you want more output.

isn't that what he is getting

I promise reading is fundamental, damn shame.

:orly3:

I promise reading is fundamental, damn shame.

Didn't even have to read much. Its In The title

Sundown SD-12 do great in sealed and sound good too. Plus they are cheap

If the box was built for a 12" why are you using a 10" sub?

Sundown SD-12 do great in sealed and sound good too. Plus they are cheap

Thanks.

That actually looks like a pretty good option.  The box we have is a bit on the big side (1.35 vs the 1.0 it calls for) but would that be enough to cause issues?

Might be between the SD-12 and the DCON

If the box was built for a 12" why are you using a 10" sub?

Current 10" sub is using a box built for a 10" sub.

She wants to upgrade to a 12" sub and use my previous box that I had built for a 12" ICON.

How long does she want to wait for a sub?

She said that part really doesnt matter to her to much.  Not sure how true that is or not lol.  I know I said the same thing with the ICON, and while it was quoted at 21 days, it ended up being more like 40 days.  Not sure if she would be really wanting to wait that long.

Great subs but you have to wait 21+ on all their models. If she wants it faster I would go with a sundown sub.

Great subs but you have to wait 21+ on all their models. If she wants it faster I would go with a sundown sub.

Seems to be the way she is leaning.  The box built is 1.35cu ft and it looks like the SD-12 mentions to use a 1.0 cu ft enclosure.  Will the extra .35 be bad with it getting 450w out of the 500w recommended?  I think the lower end might increase, but I'm not too sure aside from that?

Could you add something inside the enclosure (supports or really anything) to make it closer to 1 cube?

Also you can't hear the difference between that wattage.

Could you add something inside the enclosure (supports or really anything) to make it closer to 1 cube?

I could add a couple pieces of 3/4" MDF to the inside, but I honestly wouldnt know how much to add.