Sign in to follow this  
SacredTanakh

Grounding issue possibly?

The post jumps around a bit but I try to provide as much information as possible.

The main issue I have is it seems as though my voltage drops more then it should. The alternator charges at 13.3 at idle and only kicks up to around 14.1 when I am going 30-35+mph. I do have a Singer 370 which is being shipped on Friday, not sure if its gonna fit yet but we will see haha.

My voltage full tilt usually drops down slowly to 12.2  after about 20seconds of play and sits there, never seen it go under 12.1 which is good but I still think it should be higher. Even when on the highway going 70mph the voltage will drop from 14.1 to 12.3.

Im running a Zed leviathan which is running around 1600w, and a BC3500 at .5 ohms.

I currently I have 4 diehard pm1s and then a  Diehard gold advanced in the stock location. The Stock alternator is a 160 amp Denso alternator. The car is a uni body so it has little ground studs for everything all over the place. Stock battery location is in the trunk and has a grounding stud right beside it inside the spare tire well.

The batteries are all wired together with 0 gauge OFC. There is 3 pm1s very close together by the amps, then a run from them down to the spare tire well where the other two batteries are.

The 3 up top are grounded to the stock location battery which is grounded to the stock location stud, then the other pm1 in the spare tire well is grounded directly to the stud.

The amps, head unit and voltage meter are powered and grounded to the batteries themselves.

I do charge the batteries with a Diehard platinum charger whenever I can and it does seems to very slightly help for a minute or two but it goes back quite quickly.

My question is does it seem like the ground is the issue? Maybe alternator ground even? Ive heard for uni-bodies welding a bar to the body and running all your grounds off that will help. But is it worth the effort?

When I get the new alternator I will have two runs of ground and two runs of power to the battery bank and it will be using a bypass so it should always charge at around 14.8.

I need to get my voltage as stable as possible because soon I plan on putting another 3500 in and running both at 1ohm.

Any ideas and suggestion are appreciated! I can post pictures if anything is unclear.

Whats your batt voltage with the car off?

Which vehicle is this in? Do you have any idea whether the alt is PCM controlled or internally regulated?

Whats your batt voltage with the car off?

Depends on how charged the batteries are, usually around 12.8.

Which vehicle is this in? Do you have any idea whether the alt is PCM controlled or internally regulated?

2013 Chrysler 300 and its PCM controlled

Any time I run multiple batteries I ground each battery to the frame or studs in your case. A single ground for all batteries in the back aint cutting it. Wire all batteries parallel then ground each battery also. With your stock alt the voltage will drop in the 12's because its doing more than the alt can provide but sounds like there is room for improvement

Any time I run multiple batteries I ground each battery to the frame or studs in your case. A single ground for all batteries in the back aint cutting it. Wire all batteries parallel then ground each battery also. With your stock alt the voltage will drop in the 12's because its doing more than the alt can provide but sounds like there is room for improvement

Thanks for the reply swift!

Ill add another set of power and ground connecting each battery for added support. Drill some holes, add some bolts, and add a separate ground for each battery.

Ill let you guys know if it helps at all.

any other suggestions welcome :)