Zachary Schreiber

Fi Q 15" build Ford Focus

So I have been driving a single cab truck for close to 10 years now. I've always liked car audio and I went from a shitty 10", to a really nice Ascendant Audio Assassin set up, which was pushing the limits of what I could fit in a Ford Ranger. Got an F-150, but I didn't drive much at that point, so I kept my Assassin 8"s and hifonics amp. But I'm getting a Ford Focus hatchback now, and I have been wanting a Fi Q for years, so I want to do it right.

I was originally thinking two 12"s, but that seems like it would be a nightmare to power (3000 watts RMS can't be cheap o.o). So I figured a single 15" would be a nice middle ground. I have no idea if I would want to go ported, but I have always ran my subs sealed because I didn't want to build a complex box. This time though, I'm planning to get a custom box built so ported is fine so long as it still sounds really tight. Frankly, I'm coming from sealed 8"s running < 800w, I don't think loudness is going to be an issue for me, so I I would probably be more comfortable just sticking with sealed unless its like a "crime" to do that with this specific sub. 

What I'm most curious about is what amp to run. I initially wanted a SAZ-1500d, but man, $500 is nothing to scoff at. If its truly worth it, I don't mind spending money as this system is going to last the life of my car I hope. But if there are cheaper options that will work just as well, I'm cool with that too.

This one might be silly, but will I need to do any upgrades to a Focus to have it handle a 1500w sub and my main speakers upgrades (haven't decided anything yet, but I'm definitely going to go for something nice, looking to put about $400 to $500 into that). Like, will the alternator and battery be fine or do I need to look into upping that as well?

And lastly, I will gladly take any recomendations for main speaker upgrades that go well with a Q. My dad had some low end Boston Acoustics and I loved their sound, and I had some mid-level MB Quarts at one point that I loved too, though they were a little strong on the highs IMO. I've always been fond of Infinity as well. I remember 5-10 years ago everyone have a huge hard on for focal/rainbow, which are probably a good step above the others I listed. Could I get something like that for around $500 to go with the Q?

Sorry for such a long post, just excited about having space for speakers again and I really want to just do it right the first time and get some really nice stuff.

I have a 14' Focus ST (so its a hatchback) with the Crescendo 1500 and a 12" DSS Ethos.  I havent upgraded the main speakers yet and I havent had a chance to really dial in the amp, but so far the car has had no issues keeping up with the amp.  I believe mine has a 160amp alternator from the factory.

Before this setup I was running an Audioque 1200d and a 12" ICON and when it was all setup the car had zero issues at full tilt.

Quick pic of mine:

14466143640_419114f345_c.jpg
20140711_184611 by riored4v, on Flickr

Hopefully that helps out a little

Thank you, that definitely eased my mind about the power requirements. I've never had a system like this, is it recommended to get some decent 8s for midbass, or should I be fine with some good door speakers and the single 15 Q? 

That looks like a nice box, btw. Did you get it built or do it yourself? I have been recommended to Dave the Box Guy, but I haven't shopped around for custom enclosures too much yet.

Edited by bonerkill

With just the sub, I would definitely recommend upgrading the speakers.  Mine is pretty bass heavy right now and the speakers sound very muddy.  I can't really say what route to go with since I havent done those to mine yet.  For me, my plan is to upgrade the factory component setup.  I'm looking at the Hertz ESK165's for mine.  Mine also has the Sony stereo fwiw.

I built the box myself but had Dave The Box Guy provide me the blueprints.  Couldnt be happier with this service.

You don't need 3kw for a pair of 12's in fact you'd probably not hear a difference compared to 1500w.

You are looking at your budget strangely. Should include a budget including for the enclosure and everything