So I've been looking online for answers to my dull sense of fully understanding these questions. I have an alpine cde149bt, that I am just not fully comprehending. I have read up and down and searched forums to some avail, but not fully. Im hoping you gurus can help to clarify some things.

Now, I have xover settings, with f/r hpf, lpf, frequency and slope. Now I understand these all fairly well, but on this, where I have gotten confused is: does the front hpf control highs, and rear hpf control mids? Or is it as it sounds, front does front, rear does rears? Next is, by setting frequency, slope and levels on xover, how much of an affect does it cause within bands of parametric eq? I know it sets frequency cuts hi and low, but how much do the settings affect eq? How much of an affect will each of these settings have on the amps ssf,lpf,hpf have in a whole.

Next question is regarding the eq. What exactly does each band 1-9 affect? 1-2 is lows, 3-6 mids, 7-9 highs, or is there a more formulated process to this. I've found some explanation as to what the eq itself does, but I cant find anything regarding each band. So say I have an amped 12", amped 6.5" comp set with 1" tweeters, and hu powered 5.25" coax in rear, what will each band do for the respective speakers via performance? Are there certain frequencies that should be chosen for specific speaker size? Maybe my understanding of the eq is incorrect...

Lastly, when adjusting each individual frequency, the next frequency is altered as to only allow a fixed variable of frequencies. Like if band 1 is set to 80, band 2 will only adjust to say, between 125 and 200 and so on. Is this just by design to keep within each bands frequency ranges so they dont separate, have gaps, and sound like shit?

Its now 3am and I can sleep now hoping someone here can help to clarify what I dont fully grasp. Thank you in advance for anyone willing to help educate me and possibly others.

The x-over will separate sub, low, mid, hi. Then the eq will affect the speakers within the corsponding range.

Thank you for pointing out the things I already fully understand as I stated above. I get what the xover does, and that the eq is for adjusting range of frequency from center, Q, and gain. What I dont fully follow is how. I know the Q and gain aspect, just not frequency areas picked up by each.

Like I said, which band affects what area of the system when adjusted from center frequency through the bands. Does each scope of bands alter a certain bandwidth via vocals, and instrumentation, or is there something alterior? What effect does adjusting each one have on each section of the system as a whole? What exactly does adjusting 1-2,3-6,7-9 do to my sub, mid, and high stages? Im curious as to whether or not that is even how it actually functions, certain bands pertaining to certain aspects of system, low, mid, high, vocal, musical...

Im looking to come to a point of fully understanding the what and why of equalization per band. It seems as when I do adjust them, there is a very subtle difference that I cant clearly pick up on. When adjusting Q from wide to narrow, slope up or down and gain I can clearly hear an audibly noticeable difference. I tend to over think and over research things, but I do like to know what I am getting and how to fully operate and understand anything I own.

I've been a mobile audio hobbyist for almost 2 decades, but until as of late (past 3 years) I never cared about functions of my equipment. As long as it was loud and slapped I could've cared less about these things, that to me at the time were trivial. But, from just reading hundreds of threads between multiple audio forums, I am now trying to educate myself in all aspects I may falter in. I really hope someone here can help to close the gap in my understanding, or maybe misunderstandings of this area.

Now, I have xover settings, with f/r hpf, lpf, frequency and slope. Now I understand these all fairly well, but on this, where I have gotten confused is: does the front hpf control highs, and rear hpf control mids? Or is it as it sounds, front does front, rear does rears?

From what I can gather from the manual; front is front, rear is rear.

Next is, by setting frequency, slope and levels on xover, how much of an affect does it cause within bands of parametric eq? I know it sets frequency cuts hi and low, but how much do the settings affect eq? How much of an affect will each of these settings have on the amps ssf,lpf,hpf have in a whole.

I don't understand your question. The EQ and crossover only affected each other if the frequencies you are adjusting overlap each other. In which case, they are affected by the amount of adjustment you select. If the EQ band falls outside of the bandwidth affected by the crossover, then the xover slope does not affect the EQ. If the EQ band does fall within the bandwidth affected by the slope of the xover, then the frequencies are affected by the slope of the xover by the amount indicated by the slope.

Same goes for the settings on the amp. The frequencies are affected by the amount indicated by the settings you select on the headunit. So if you set the HU xover to 100hz with a 12db/oct slope and the amplifiers xover to 100hz with a 12db/oct slope, the you created a Linkwitz-Riley 4th order xover which would be a 100hz highpass filter with a 24db/oct slope that is down 6db at the crossover point.

Next question is regarding the eq. What exactly does each band 1-9 affect? 1-2 is lows, 3-6 mids, 7-9 highs, or is there a more formulated process to this.

You have a 9 band parametric EQ. Alpine has selected which frequency bandwidth each EQ band is capable of being adjusted to. So yes, with your EQ bands the higher the EQ band #, the higher the frequency bandwidth it can adjust.

So say I have an amped 12", amped 6.5" comp set with 1" tweeters, and hu powered 5.25" coax in rear, what will each band do for the respective speakers via performance? Are there certain frequencies that should be chosen for specific speaker size? Maybe my understanding of the eq is incorrect...

EQ frequency selection has nothing to do with speaker size. It has to do with the performance of your particular system and needs in terms of frequency response correction/adjustment. Obviously the frequency bands will only affect the speakers playing that bandwidth. So if you lowpass your sub at 50hz, adjusting 315hz on the EQ won't affect the sub, nor the tweeter....only the mid. Likewise adjusting 10khz will only affect the tweeter.

Lastly, when adjusting each individual frequency, the next frequency is altered as to only allow a fixed variable of frequencies. Like if band 1 is set to 80, band 2 will only adjust to say, between 125 and 200 and so on. Is this just by design to keep within each bands frequency ranges so they dont separate, have gaps, and sound like shit?

It's just Alpine's design to not allow EQ bands to be clumped too closely together to keep novices from screwing things up too badly.

Word of warning...when you boost the EQ you are asking the amplifier to output more power at that particular frequency. A 3db increase asks the amplifier to produce twice as much power. A 6db boost asks the amplifier to output 4 times as much power. Boosting frequencies on an EQ isn't a free lunch to gain output...asking the amplifier to output that much extra power can easily smoke a speaker if used incorrectly.

Your questions are very vague and difficult to explain without going I to great detail of the inner workings of EQs and xovers. You need to do some searching around on sites like bcae1.com and gain a better fundamental understanding. Then things might be more clear for you

Your questions are very vague and difficult to explain without going I to great detail of the inner workings of EQs and xovers. You need to do some searching around on sites like bcae1.com and gain a better fundamental understanding. Then things might be more clear for you

I have actually read up quite a bit on that site, very informative. What I've learned from reading just needed some minor clarification, as I think I read too far into what I was taking in, which in turn confused me. I think that even with me being somewhat vague in the questions I asked, you fully understood what I was asking, as you have answered pretty much everything I was curious to. Its almost like you were reading my thought process, as my questions were vague, but somehow you knew what my mind was thinking. I just wasn't able to transfer my exact thoughts to text. With that, you state you didnt understand my xover question, but still answered with exactly what I was looking to clarify and then some.

I really never gain any frequency, some are at 0, couple at +1 and others -2, 3 or so. I like my equipment and need no reason to have to buy more due to lack of knowledge, which is why I am trying to further educate myself..

I appreciate your response in detail, as I am now another step closer to understanding one more small aspect of this mathematically diverse hobby.

I pulled out my Jedi mind voodoo shit to help you out :)

Indeed, skywalker. wow.

Next time just ask the simple question, sometimes it is easier. smile.png

More like jedi mind fuck. You posted answers to questions I was thinking of, but forgot to type during my 3am, half asleep thread start.

Indeed, skywalker. wow.

Next time just ask the simple question, sometimes it is easier. smile.png

I've seen how the simple question role has played out. I figured I'd be as informative as I could so there wasn't any back and forth we need this, and that to help you stuff I've seen. But, in my stupor, I couldnt figure out an easy way to ask, so I just posted shit in between nodding off, and after posting I realized how long it was.

Information is great, but back it up with a simple question. smile.png i wasn't really sure you were even asking a question, nor what it was.