Quentin Jarrell

DSP's and REAL amplifiers

Honestly, this would only satisfied a small niche audience. It's too "complicated" for today's everyday user's. Obviously, if you already understand this, then it wouldn't be an issue. But, I would focus more on the speaker line of things, at least for now. Get the mids/tweets out there. I know there's a lot of interest there, also with the primo, trident, even as suggested previously, the shallow mount. 

If you come out with a product that is too sophisticated, it won't sell. 

Prime example, would be Shizzon's protection system. Sounds great in theory, but in practice, it's just too much for the average consumer. 

Anyone can turn a few knobs on an amplifier, but not everyone wants to sit down for an additional hour or so to setup their amplifiers. Like I said, a small niche would only appreciate such a product. That is unless you figure out an easy way to do so. 

To make a product as your suggesting, and to make it simply enough for everyday user's, I would believe would raise the cost too much on your end. 

just my .02 I guess. 

Just my opinion but you can't possibly compare his product to what Quentin is talking about making.

Auto eq is a joke. Auto t/a, well ok, but good luck.

L/R Eq needs to be independent.

I will NEVER buy another proc that can't do both graphic and parametric. For normal buyers however a graphic is WAY easier to understand. Makes for retards cranking them up though.

T/A

Adjustable slopes

Adjustable phase

Independent gain output

Reasonable input stage and output stage

BOTH balanced and non. Wherever you heard that was a limitation is wrong. I have that now btw.

And the biggie is control. IMO, for most users the control NEEDS to be in the dash. Requiring a PC or offboard solution to change things is not effect. All that being said, I don't think people need headunits these days so I'd also add the capability of an external volume pot to control the output stage. This way if they only wanted to mount the volume knob no headunit would be necessary. (I do this exact thing in my boat and fundamentally in my truck although the truck has a full out pc in it).

Investigating adding a tuner for the above wouldn't suck. For what it is worth I am using an HD Radio tuner in the truck that I paid $40 for. It has an open source function call to it and is EASILY interfaced with a PC. It also has a remote. Could easily add code to use that as a radio source and switch the DSP to a 1/8" Stereo input for its other source and have as much as anyone needs. I didn't buy the HD radio for any sonic benefit, it was just cheaper and easier to control with a PC than any other solution.

You said before that you have used a minidsp 2x4? Any features you particularly like and don't like?

You should really order one and try it out. ;)

Got one here still laying in its box

well its in a box.  I mean the packaging

Honestly, this would only satisfied a small niche audience. It's too "complicated" for today's everyday user's. Obviously, if you already understand this, then it wouldn't be an issue. But, I would focus more on the speaker line of things, at least for now. Get the mids/tweets out there. I know there's a lot of interest there, also with the primo, trident, even as suggested previously, the shallow mount. 

If you come out with a product that is too sophisticated, it won't sell. 

Prime example, would be Shizzon's protection system. Sounds great in theory, but in practice, it's just too much for the average consumer. 

Anyone can turn a few knobs on an amplifier, but not everyone wants to sit down for an additional hour or so to setup their amplifiers. Like I said, a small niche would only appreciate such a product. That is unless you figure out an easy way to do so. 

To make a product as your suggesting, and to make it simply enough for everyday user's, I would believe would raise the cost too much on your end. 

just my .02 I guess. 

His product line, present and future, is already tailored to a niche demo.   He's not catering to the daily, "throw a cheap speaker in a box," crowd.  He's pretty much thinking outside the box of everyone else and this is just another instance.  Seeing how he's worked his business plan so far, I don't see this as anything but a positive.

DSP's are WAY outside my skill set as far as designing is concerned.  As with my other product I team up with the best in the business.  The DSP won't be any different it's just that this supplier will not allow it's clients to divulge who it OEM's for.  They are capable of building anything that's needed.  It's just that anything ODM and not OEM requires a 1,000 unit  MOQ so gotta make sure all the features are right and it's not a pain in the ass to use.

2x4 is not enough. 1x7 is. I run a pair of them and it sucks to wire them up. Sort of dumb to buy the unbalanced ones for that reason since raw wires are easier. Most enthusiasts may balk at that which then means you need connectors so an enclosure for 7 chan of processing is needed.

User interface for writing custom biquads isn't super straightforward, but isn't all that hard either. Biggest interface concern for me is the need for a pc. Of course, I can easily bring one on my boat and have one in the car so...

So really it is just the wiring. Need the DC delay/isolator, 2 miniDSP's, USB cable a volume knob and all your amplifier & power wires. Not really a clean way to do that. Packaging could help a shit ton.

I am basically minutes from grabbing my 5th mini if that says much. At least by the time you have something I'll have a real test bench setup.

I also run a pair of 2x4's. nothing else to really add. 

here is a picture of the dsp layout for the minidsp 2wayadv plugin. 

cJnwj9k.png

it would great if you could choose graphic or parametric without switching to a different plugin. 

well looks like the American bass will be up for sale

Well, I was looking at DSP's and such, so if this will end up doing what I need/want it to do, looks like I may end up buying more than just an Ethos from you.

You have great ideas. I'm tuned in.

I might want to try those products. the "dsp" can be a nice plus to my system.

I'm waiting for the speakers too ;-)

Anything that could be integrated via bluetooth with iPhone/iPad/iPod or android device would be a good selling point.  People love using their portable devices... though I don't know how practical that would be.

a product already exist that does everything you are proposing in this thread.  I'm not going to name said product because this is your thread but it does already exist.

a product already exist that does everything you are proposing in this thread.  I'm not going to name said product because this is your thread but it does already exist.

Cool story bro, do tell again.

a product already exist that does everything you are proposing in this thread. I'm not going to name said product because this is your thread but it does already exist.

Many products already exist, yet people improve upon or remarket daily.

Automobiles have existed for over 150 years. . . .

Damn, you mean there is another company out there making digital sound processors?  Guess I should have went on google.

lol

Just came across this, it's an TRU Technology amplifier, up for sale for the low price of 2600$! Regardless, for us visual learners, is this what you meant by having the amplifier with only gain control on it?

$_57.JPG

Yes, that is a pure gain block and what is even better is each channel is independently adjustable.

Yep, that's one example of an amp with only gain controls.  There's not many amps out there that are like that either.

$2600???  I've seen some of the measurements on the Tru amps, and yeah they're nice amps, but I don't see how they're worth anywhere near that kind of money.

Tru has always been outrageous.  They're like the home audio crowd.  A couple small differences and they think they are magic and warrant a ridiculous price. 

That amp posted IS copper plated though, and I'm sure that is not cheap, but still not worth the extra money.

Pioneer has a 2 channel amp that's been out for a couple of years that is a pure gain block.

Never really cared for Tru amps myself.

Edited by jay-cee