Sign in to follow this  
AudioFiLe

Decision Problems (feat. AA, Fi, and DC)

So the time has come to purchase a new subwoofer. I have been using a Rockford P3 for the last couple months and loved it but decided it was about time to move up in the world of the bassheads. I have a really hard time deciding on the simplest of things and thats why im posting here to try and get help on deciding. i by no means mean this to be a "VS" thread. just need a push in the "right" direction. 

so the 3 subs im tryin to decide on are:

-Ascendant Audio Mayhem 15

-Fi Audio SP4 15

-DC Audio level 4 15

ill be running it on one of the Hifonics mt. olympus series amps (the one that best fits the particular subs RMS rating, of course)

the sub will be put in a custom made 4 cubic feet of airspace ported box tuned to 32hz in an extended cab truck

any and all advice will be appreciated. thanks!

Is that the biggest box you can use?

im actually not making this custom box, a friend is. we did some more calculations yesterday and the most we can get out of the space in the back cab of my truck is a 5.2 cubic feet air space box. that sound better?

is that net or gross?

What are your goals sound wise? Do you have a specific frequency range you are focusing on?

why isnt any ssa sub or dss in your decision? I think your passing up on some really good options by not looking at them.

Zcon or ethos should

why isnt any ssa sub or dss in your decision? I think your passing up on some really good options by not looking at them.

agree why not ethos or zcon

is that net or gross?

gross

What are your goals sound wise? Do you have a specific frequency range you are focusing on?

not really focusing on a freq range. i just really like my lows

i suppose the only reason behind that is because i dont know too much about them and i havent heard/seen many demos of them. im sure theyre good woofers but ive always heard a lot of great things from AA and Fi owners

Ethos in a low tuned enclosure maybe around 30hz. Your gunna save yourself money on the driver and on the power.

Plus the ethos is a very efficient driver.

You will save airspace also for groceries.

Ethos in a low tuned enclosure maybe around 30hz. Your gunna save yourself money on the driver and on the power.

Plus the ethos is a very efficient driver.

You will save airspace also for groceries.

well heres the other thing. you really think 1 of these will push as hard as a mayhem or sp4? i will end up doing some small demos to people in my area as i am 1 of the only very few bassheads in my county. the Ethos is rated at 1800 watts while the sp4 is rated at 3000. you really think it can move as much air?

My first choice would be DSS, I love the way my setup sounds!! A demo will leave the unseasoned person alittle off balance and head stuffy for a few hours, lol! 

With that out of the way the SP4 is a top notch sub,The FI Q is a terrific sub. I owned 6 FI subs and had good results from all of them. The SSA Zcon is a awesome sub and sounds like you have the room for one as they seem to like alittle larger enclosure (4-5cu for a 15), The Evil is another sub that is badass. SSA makes a great product.

With the space you have available I would run 2 12in DSS Ethos on a 3k watt amp. That will out perform 1 15 and you wont have to push them as hard as a single 15 to get the same output. 

My first choice would be DSS, I love the way my setup sounds!! A demo will leave the unseasoned person alittle off balance and head stuffy for a few hours, lol! 

With that out of the way the SP4 is a top notch sub,The FI Q is a terrific sub. I owned 6 FI subs and had good results from all of them. The SSA Zcon is a awesome sub and sounds like you have the room for one as they seem to like alittle larger enclosure (4-5cu for a 15), The Evil is another sub that is badass. SSA makes a great product.

With the space you have available I would run 2 12in DSS Ethos on a 3k watt amp. That will out perform 1 15 and you wont have to push them as hard as a single 15 to get the same output. 

if i run 2 Ethos (both 2 ohm dvc) the load would drop down to .5 ohm if i dont buy 2 amps (which i dont want to spend the money to buy 2 seperate ones) and unfortunately i cant find a 3k amp under $500 that can easily take half an ohm. while i dont have budget friendly in mind while drawing up this build, i would like to keep the amp and sub(s) under $1k. 

and wouldnt a single "15 sub in a 4cbcft 32hz tuned box hit lower than the 2 12s?

if i run 2 Ethos (both 2 ohm dvc) the load would drop down to .5 ohm if i dont buy 2 amps (which i dont want to spend the money to buy 2 seperate ones) and unfortunately i cant find a 3k amp under $500 that can easily take half an ohm. while i dont have budget friendly in mind while drawing up this build, i would like to keep the amp and sub(s) under $1k. 

and wouldnt a single "15 sub in a 4cbcft 32hz tuned box hit lower than the 2 12s?

If you got 2 subs get dual 1's that way you can wire to a 1ohm load. Hitting lows doesnt have much to do with the sub size. Two 12's will out perform a single 15 in every aspect if your talking about the same brand and type sub. 

That Sundown above would push 2 12's or 1 15 just fine. 

2 Zcon's will be over my price range but i can dish out enough for 2 Ethos 15's. now unfortunately the buddy that was gonna make my custom box recently got into a little trouble with the cops so i dont see him as being able to make the enclosure in the near future and i dont yet have the equipment or experience to make a custom box of my own so i will have to buy 1. if anyone can direct me to a good ported box with less than 5 cubic feet of airspace that the Ethos's will sound good in and under $200, that would be awesome. thanks!

(and for those who are wondering, i am doing the Big 3 upgrade as well as a putting a new 220A alternator under my hood with 3 batteries (an optima yellowtop under the hood and 2 XS D3400's in the back))

Edit:

i have also decided to buy the Ethos's as 2 ohm and wire them down to an ohm. they will most likely be powered by a hifonics mt. olympus atlas 3k/6k

Edited by AudioFiLe

If your wanting wire to 1ohm you cant get 2 dual 2ohm subs

If your wanting wire to 1ohm you cant get 2 dual 2ohm subs

bleh i mean 1 ohm

You dont have room 2 15's if you only have 5cu gross. I would get two 12's instead or a single 15. 

One sub get a dual 2 ohm, two subs get dual 1's.

You dont have room 2 15's if you only have 5cu gross. I would get two 12's instead or a single 15.

One sub get a dual 2 ohm, two subs get dual 1's.

I think Quentin said you need 2.5 cubes gross minimum for each 15 Edited by Stephen93s10

No. A minimum of 2.5 NET. A proper box for two 15's tuned to 32 hertz will run 7-8 cft gross.

No. A minimum of 2.5 NET. A proper box for two 15's tuned to 32 hertz will run 7-8 cft gross.

ah ok 2 12's it is. thanks Q

Under the DSS category, there should be a couple of box designs specifically for 2 12" ethos. One of them is the very same box I use. Trust me man you will NOT be disappointed.

Under the DSS category, there should be a couple of box designs specifically for 2 12" ethos. One of them is the very same box I use. Trust me man you will NOT be disappointed.

sweet. always good to hear. as soon as i get my system up and running, i will definately be postin vids to youtube and doing a thorough review of the subs and the amp

Sounds like what my new setup will have! :) i have a Ampere audio 3,800.1 for the two 12 DSS Ethos that will be here in a few months.. im a noob when it comes to car audio still but i was thinking that amp with the 12 ethos will sound great.. i still need to have a box made and get all the wires needed... cant figure out where i will have the box made yet.. i deff would like to have it made for me.. anyone kno where i could get a nice box made? i live in Rhode Island.. i will have around 300$ to spend on the box