hispls

I'll just leave this here.....

IMG_0787_zps6d0628b9.jpg

IMG_0786_zps3b2ff76a.jpg

IMG_0446_zpsc576afe4.jpg

IMG_0784_zps0affacc3.jpg

IMG_0785_zps25c1d8a6.jpg

IMG_0451_zps6082a2f3.jpg

Did some initial testing with the Crown amp.   Unfortunatley I changed the port at the same time I switched to Minotaurs so I have no idea what direct swap gain would have been.   Though I dropped tuning 4hz, sacrificed 42 square inches of port and am still up about .4dB.  

Geometry of the cargo area didn't allow my 5th battery on the Crown and voltage drop was severe.   Minotaurs seem to run quite happily on this battery bank and have an audible improvement in sound.... I expect 8 amps vs. 1 has an edge in damping factor.  

One thing I really like is the ability to non-invert slave all the amps frorm one pre-amp so I can run 1 amp per coil without the trouble of trying to gain match every amp or having to dick around with strapping.

Don't mind the dust on everything in the more recent pictures, I just did some work to the port and did a bunch of sanding.   Baffle will be finished with something other than the black paint as soon as I think of something clever and have some time.

Metered 151.9 a couple weeks ago before I smoothed out the port and played plenty of music really loud. Amps stay cool and are easy on the electrical.   I have all my amps on 60A fuses and have yet to open one.   I expect to get 152.0 with the port tightened up, and I expect I can find some more gains if I get ambitious.

Also in here is Ra V2 feeding these amps and Leviathan under the back seat running my fronts.   Also back seats fold up as normal for when I need the passanger space.

:droolcup:

The amp is HUGE!! Nice equipment

What kind of wood did you use?

That's OSB  (Advantech flooring).  The only 3/4" sheet that's OSHA approved for 24" studs as flooring.  I laminated layers together with some thickened epoxy and painted everything with epoxy.   The plan was to do the same with particle board, but local lumber yard had none.  

That's OSB  (Advantech flooring).  

Ooooooh, flexy.

Ooooooh, flexy.

Have you actually done any testing with it?   How many layers?  How much eopxy or polyester resin did you use between layers?  On the surfaces?   When you built the identical box with whatever material you think is better what were the SPL numbers on each box?

If you haven't used that material or done direct A to B comparison or at least talked to someone who has you should probably STFU when it comes to things about which you know nothing.

Also this thread isn't to start a pissing contest aboutf lumber, but to show off my Zed amp build in the Zed sub-forum. 

Very very cool.  How much signal voltage is each Minotaur getting?  I know mine likes a lot of signal from the RA.

Ooooooh, flexy.

Have you actually done any testing with it?   How many layers?  How much eopxy or polyester resin did you use between layers?  On the surfaces?   When you built the identical box with whatever material you think is better what were the SPL numbers on each box?

If you haven't used that material or done direct A to B comparison or at least talked to someone who has you should probably STFU when it comes to things about which you know nothing.

Also this thread isn't to start a pissing contest aboutf lumber, but to show off my Zed amp build in the Zed sub-forum. 

Wow, that hit a nerve. 

lmao

Dammit, we can't have nice things around here. lol 

Saw your build elsewhere. Glad you posted it up here cause I really liked it with both the zed amps and JBL amp. I was doing further investigation on those little amps and seen where they allow a tri-way style strapping config. Really cool stuff. 

Very very cool.  How much signal voltage is each Minotaur getting?  I know mine likes a lot of signal from the RA.

I have no idea.   For burps or high record levels the level on Ra never goes above halfway, though I need most of the dial to get max output from some older recordings.  Gains on Minotaur is set about halfway mark for what that's worth.   Frankly I don't put much stock into nitpicking that sort of thing.  My motto is "if it sounds good it is good", and of course when I meter I just watch the meter and roll up the level on Ra until I'm happy... though I think this has a little more in it than I got my last time out. 

I'm trying to not break anything too quickly since I know Stephen will give me the "Son, I'm disappointed in you" lecture for running them at 2 ohms and fusing at 60A.

Ooooooh, flexy.

Wow, that hit a nerve. 

lmao

Notice he hasn't replied with any actual experience or objective data?   I posted on SMD forum and it turned into 2 pages of shitstorm of people who are simply trying to justify the 100$ a sheet they paid for "Baltic" plywood or whatever.   The guy who insisted that MDF was the end all-be all of enclosure material even has a youtube video comparing different materials.... which consisted of measuring thickness of the sheet and then weighing samples of them.   Which is the same as implying that lead is stronger than Scandium/aluminum alloy because it's more dense. 

So yeah, bullshit, myths, and hearsay is a hot button for me.   It's funny how all the forum know-it-alls run and hide when you ask them for proof or if they have any actual experience, yet the guys I know who have actually tested with particle board and OSB + resin have actual objective data and proven results.  And this sort of thing extends way beyond just this topic. 

Dammit, we can't have nice things around here. lol 

Saw your build elsewhere. Glad you posted it up here cause I really liked it with both the zed amps and JBL amp. I was doing further investigation on those little amps and seen where they allow a tri-way style strapping config. Really cool stuff. 

The JBL is huge !

But the ZEDs are so sweet :-)
Can you post more pics please ?!  :)  :)

Making me want to get a twin for my minotaur.

The JBL is huge !

But the ZEDs are so sweet :-)

Can you post more pics please ?!  smile.png  smile.png

Like more of the build log or more as it sits now?

Making me want to get a twin for my minotaur.

V1 and V2 come up for 500$ish on eBay here and there.   Like I said, if you're not trying to drive 2 amps into 1 coil there's no need to strap with the non-invert output to a second, third, fourth, or 8th amp.

In other news, after smoothing out the port some I metered 152.4 today.   May or may not have more... I stopped rolling up the level when I got scared not because the meter stopped going up.    I'm considering pulling the front seats out just to show a better number at the next competition up here as well... all my numbers so far are with the seats in and no special attention paid to position of interior pieces that may or may not alter metered output by a tenth or two.   Sadly the build to beat in my area in my class is the blue T3 van so chasing 10ths really doesn't have much appeal to me.

For me, it would be occasionally strapping to one sub.

So M5 makes a 2 word observation as opposed to praise and you jump all over him. When posting in any open forum you have to prepared to handle praise as well as criticism.   Oooooh flexy  IMO hardly warrants a reaction like yours. And BTW.....a stud is in a wall. I think you meant joist? You sound more credible when you use the right words. Another thought.....OSHA is an Ageny that ensures safe working conditions. Are workers in a safe environment? Are they being provided proper PPE? They have nothing to do with what plywood can be used in the construction of a house. That is code enforcement. You don't call Osha to have a framing inspection done on a new house.

Edited by ou812

So M5 makes a 2 word observation as opposed to praise and you jump all over him. When posting in any open forum you have to prepared to handle praise as well as criticism.   Oooooh flexy  IMO hardly warrants a reaction like yours. And BTW.....a stud is in a wall. I think you meant joist? You sound more credible when you use the right words. Another thought.....OSHA is an Ageny that ensures safe working conditions. Are workers in a safe environment? Are they being provided proper PPE? They have nothing to do with what plywood can be used in the construction of a house. That is code enforcement. You don't call Osha to have a framing inspection done on a new house.

Cool, I guess I was given incorrect specifics from the guy who recommended it to me.   It doesn't change the fact that your buddy shitposted up my thread with his ignorant comment.

Now do you have any useful experience or objective data regarding building walls, OSB, Particle board, or epoxy or are you just shitposting as well?

You do realize that you draw the kind of comments that he made by your attitude. M5 is most certainly not my buddy and I was in fact a carpenter for 20 yrs. To be quite honest if you're using multiple layers and using epoxy to adhere them together I don't see it being an issue. So in the future when you post why not start off with a statement along the lines of......This is my thread! If you want to praise me for all the money I spent that's fine but if you want to question my installation choices or techniques don't bother I already know it all and I couldn't possibly learn anything from anyone!

You do realize that you draw the kind of comments that he made by your attitude. M5 is most certainly not my buddy and I was in fact a carpenter for 20 yrs. To be quite honest if you're using multiple layers and using epoxy to adhere them together I don't see it being an issue. So in the future when you post why not start off with a statement along the lines of......This is my thread! If you want to praise me for all the money I spent that's fine but if you want to question my installation choices or techniques don't bother I already know it all and I couldn't possibly learn anything from anyone!

Thanks for clarifying on the carpentry end.  Like I said, I was given bad information there and I'll correct that in future. 

The question here isn't what I know or don't know it's about the other person throwing an off handed jab at me regarding something about which he knows nothing.  I in fact did some research and testing before I chose materials and methods, and as I said, the only people who are talking out their arse about using OSB are those who never tested it and never spoke to anyone who tested it.   Quick to make ignorant comments and quick to run off when challenged on where they got their information.

More pics : As it sits now, or from the buld log. 

I'm just curious, and I love all those amps ;-)

I don't mind db scores or videos. I'm not into spl or into door or car flex ! I like the well done works, and if it plays like you want, it's perfect !

Are you feeding all 4 inputs on the master Minotaur?

I am still surprised on the output as I know the Minotaur prefers a lot of signal voltage and as Stephen said "by running the RA, you are already cutting that voltage in 1/2 and all 4 inputs on the Minotaur need to be fed".   So I am curious as to how much voltage each Minotaur is seeing since they are daisy chained.

Nice amp choice. ;)

Guess I should have stopped back in the thread, can't believe the over reaction. sad.png

Ooooooh, flexy.
Nor was my response. Never said flexy was bad in your application. Love the amps, would never use the material. Has no reflection on acoustic output at one frequency though. I personally don't care about that.

Testing yes, not in a box just as a material. Application doesn't determine usefulness, but the material properties can define what will work in what application. Testing in a specified application will only color the results as it is very hard to make a reproduceable test.

Talking to someone gets you dumb advice like you might hear at SMD. Actually trying to understand something on your own works much better. This is something I deal with everyday: Boeing, GM, Ford, Mercedes, Apple, Google, Samsung....all pay my company and buy equipment from us to do material testing. Structural integrity and modal response is something I have a keen knowledge on.

Cool, I guess I was given incorrect specifics from the guy who recommended it to me.   It doesn't change the fact that your buddy shitposted up my thread with his ignorant comment.

Now do you have any useful experience or objective data regarding building walls, OSB, Particle board, or epoxy or are you just shitposting as well?

Imagine how much more things he said could be wrong ;)

I would love to own a JBL6000GTI one day, in my opinion it's one of the best powerful car amps made .