Sign in to follow this  
Omega_Ace

Metered my car with the Ethos.

I have a 98 mustang with a trunk wall not yet sealed with two 12" ethos on a bc3500 at 1 ohm with stock 130 amp alt and two batteries. The box is a 3 cu. ft. box net tuned to 28 hz. I hit a max of 140.18 @ 43hz. with the driver door open. First time ever on a meter.

Not bad for your first time. Once the subs break in it will get alittle louder and lower, seal off from the trunk and I would imagine it will be around a 42 but dont get hung up on numbers. They are secondary and almost meaningless. just chase the sound your after, once you do that if it numbers high good but if not who cares.

I agree. They sound great and kill the lows. I did it just out of curiosity.

sweet! im bout to have my box made for my two 12 Ethos.. gonna have it made to 3 cu ft.. and tuned to 32 hz.. so in a few months when they come ill be ready for them! adhd.gif

That's great news. 40 out of a trunk on first try ain't bad at all!

You will forsure get louder!

With that equipment a 140 should be easy out the gate unless it is something terribly wrong with the install.

I'll seal it and try again and get proper electrical and see where I'm at. In the men tune I'll work on getting some pics.

With that equipment a 140 should be easy out the gate unless it is something terribly wrong with the install.

Hate to be the one to agree, but I did a 140.5 with the equipment in my sig in a Neon.  Something isn't right.

Edit:  Never updated my score in my sig, but it's on the MECA website in 2012, if you want to look it up.

Edited by w00tah

Hate to be the one to agree, but I did a 140.5 with the equipment in my sig in a Neon.  Something isn't right.

Edit:  Never updated my score in my sig, but it's on the MECA website in 2012, if you want to look it up.

I guess since everything is subject to criticism then I'd say your score was low too. This was the guys first ever time on the mic. With the information given I am to assume he didn't really know his peak frequency since he claimed to be tuned @ 28hz and metered at 43hz. 

Hell my first time on the meter I got a 143.8 with a single 15" Obsidian on an AQ2200 at 2 ohm in a pre-fab. Check MECA website in 2013 if you want to look that up in AS2. 

Truth is as a competitor I'm glad the OP has come out and gotten his system metered because the sport has been in a slow decline over the past 20 years. Every competitor we can get is a new challenge to me. I'm sure he knows that he can do better and I believe he can as well. I just hope he sticks it out and keeps coming to the shows and gets louder each time. 

*** after edit ***

OP - after reading this it had me go back to check my progress with last years numbers. They increased each show mostly lol

Just keep up the work and you'll keep gaining.

Show 1 - 143.8db

Show 2 - 144.9db

Show 3 - 145.0db

Show 4 - 146.9db

Show 5 - 146.8db (Not sure what happened here lol)

Show 6 - 147.0db

Show 7 - 146.1db (Tried metering on a different side at this show with no 2nd run)

Show 8 - 147.7db

Edited by nadcicle

With a box tuned low like that, he is obviously not chasing numbers :)
I did the same score with a 12" btl n2 on 1500 w ! But who cares, if it sounds good to you ?!!

I'd like to listen to some Ethos....

Enjoy your setup, play music and have fun.  You will be louder in the future, for sure ! (if you want so).

WIll get a little lounder forsure! I Did a 139.9 sealed last year on the dash.Went back few months ago got a 141.2 sealed @ 42hz/143.5 door open.With 2 icon 12`s @ 30hz on bc2000

As Swift stated they loosen some.

Great equipment by the way smile.png

Edited by garychurch84

Hate to be the one to agree, but I did a 140.5 with the equipment in my sig in a Neon. Something isn't right.

Edit: Never updated my score in my sig, but it's on the MECA website in 2012, if you want to look it up.

I guess since everything is subject to criticism then I'd say your score was low too. This was the guys first ever time on the mic. With the information given I am to assume he didn't really know his peak frequency since he claimed to be tuned @ 28hz and metered at 43hz.

Hell my first time on the meter I got a 143.8 with a single 15" Obsidian on an AQ2200 at 2 ohm in a pre-fab. Check MECA website in 2013 if you want to look that up in AS2.

Truth is as a competitor I'm glad the OP has come out and gotten his system metered because the sport has been in a slow decline over the past 20 years. Every competitor we can get is a new challenge to me. I'm sure he knows that he can do better and I believe he can as well. I just hope he sticks it out and keeps coming to the shows and gets louder each time.

*** after edit ***

OP - after reading this it had me go back to check my progress with last years numbers. They increased each show mostly lol

Show 1 - 143.8db

Show 2 - 144.9db

Show 3 - 145.0db

Show 4 - 146.9db

Show 6 - 147.0db

Show 7 - 146.1db (Tried metering on a different side at this show with no 2nd run)

Show 8 - 147.7db

You guys get so defensive on here. Nobody said the score was low and nobody criticized. I simply stated with that equipment a 140 out the trunk should be easy regardless your first time. Plain and simple, nothing more nothing less.

Sorry for cluttering up your thread OP. Any pics or videos of your setup? There are a number of things to try to gain the next time your on the meter: closed air vents, open glove box, moving seats around, visors down, among other things. But sealing the trunk from the cabin should help out as well, have fun with the chasing dbs man. Any goals with numbers you want to reach.

Edited by jay-cee

Hate to be the one to agree, but I did a 140.5 with the equipment in my sig in a Neon. Something isn't right.

Edit: Never updated my score in my sig, but it's on the MECA website in 2012, if you want to look it up.

*** after edit ***

Show 1 - 143.8db

Show 2 - 144.9db

Show 3 - 145.0db

Show 4 - 146.9db

Show 6 - 147.0db

Show 8 - 147.7db

You guys get so defensive on here. Nobody said the score was low and nobody criticized. I simply stated with that equipment a 140 out the trunk should be easy regardless your first time. Plain and simple, nothing more nothing less.

Sorry for cluttering up your thread OP. Any pics or videos of your setup? There are a number of things to try to gain the next time your on the meter: closed air vents, open glove box, moving seats around, visors down, among other things. But sealing the trunk from the cabin should help out as well, have fun with the chasing dbs man. Any goals with numbers you want to reach.

By saying "something is terribly wrong with your install" that is the way it comes off without offering any help. This was more directed towards the second response telling him his score instead of helping out at all. I simply did the same thing to show him how it felt except I went in to detail. 

Sure, he should be louder. He also didn't give the full rundown of everything he did to try and get the score. 

I actually give you props for giving him those little hints as well, but if he's in meca he has to have his headrests in their respective positions and glove box has to remain closed. Those others are good though. We, don't get those benefits in our sanction like others. :(

I will ask the obvious though.

OP, what wire are you using for your runs from front to back and what batteries are you running? I have a feeling this could help out some.

I have one run of street wires 0 guage ofc front to back and same cable for rear ground. Big three is also the same. Rear battery is a walmart marine deep cycle (don't remember size but was one of the biggest they had. Front battery is just a regular replacement battery. As far as the testing I put the meter on lower passenger side windshield and went from 50hz down in 2hz intervals and peaked at 42 then tried around that and did my peak at 43hz with driver door open. I didnt experiment with seat positions or anything like that. Never been around any comps or anything. I'll do some pics and videos. I got the kids and neighbors so I'll get them when I can. Btw thanks for the advice.

I have one run of street wires 0 guage ofc front to back and same cable for rear ground. Big three is also the same. Rear battery is a walmart marine deep cycle (don't remember size but was one of the biggest they had. Front battery is just a regular replacement battery. As far as the testing I put the meter on lower passenger side windshield and went from 50hz down in 2hz intervals and peaked at 42 then tried around that and did my peak at 43hz with driver door open. I didnt experiment with seat positions or anything like that. Never been around any comps or anything. I'll do some pics and videos. I got the kids and neighbors so I'll get them when I can. Btw thanks for the advice.

For never having done it before, it's not as bad as what people are making it out to be. When you were searching for your peak frequency did you have the system full throttle or was it around half volume? Reason I ask is because I sit and watch at every show while they do clinics (testing for peak frequency) and people are going full tilt just to find their frequency and by the time they get remotely close their dipping down to below 10 volts because they've drained the batteries about dry. 

I would definitely do your best with the sealing the box off to the trunk the best you can as that will be the biggest gain you'll likely see for the least amount of money. Headrest scores are harder because it is a traveling wave vs a standing wave that most would meter at in the kick or on the windshield. You have no reflections in your favor and it is pure bass that is measured. 

*** after edit ***

Show 1 - 143.8db

Show 2 - 144.9db

Show 3 - 145.0db

Show 4 - 146.9db

Show 6 - 147.0db

Show 8 - 147.7db

I never said my score wasn't low.  Way to take my post in the wrong way.

It was full tilt while I was searching for peak. I also fOrgot to turn ac off which I realized after I was done. I have never seen or been around car audio competitions so I'm probably oblivious to what most might think is common knowledge.

It was full tilt while I was searching for peak. I also fOrgot to turn ac off which I realized after I was done. I have never seen or been around car audio competitions so I'm probably oblivious to what most might think is common knowledge.

Definitely more of a social event more than anything to a lot of us. Feel free to observe some people and ask questions. You'll get a lot more tips at shows than here cause at least you'll be able to try them on the mic at a show vs having to wait. 

I've made the AC mistake before so you're not alone! lol