Sign in to follow this  
hdrox88

Taramps price vs reliability

I am soon to be grabbing a new sub amp and was offered a new taramps 5k for a pretty good price. I have just read several times on the questionable durability/reliability of the taramps name. Is it worth it to spend near to twice the price for the same power? I am seriously torn here...

For what it's worth, 2 xcons or ethos will be on the receiving end of whatever amp I choose. Most likely xcon as I already have one.

After I fixed my engine problems, I've been playing heavy full tilt daily at 1.5 for the 2 ohm for going on 4 weeks now, no issues to report. 

I also seem to remember you mentioning some problems at one point. Is it a purchase you would second guess if you were to do it over again? Are the fans as loud as some people make them seem? It would be going under the seat in the second row so fan noise is a concern.

Fans are loud. They can be swapped though. I had a buddy swap his out and you couldn't tell it was running

I also seem to remember you mentioning some problems at one point. Is it a purchase you would second guess if you were to do it over again? Are the fans as loud as some people make them seem? It would be going under the seat in the second row so fan noise is a concern.

Under my personal experience. I had one fail at Slamology. This was due to no engine, full tilt at 11 volts for three days straight, in 95 degree weather, below rated ohm load with vibrations. I sent it in with about a 2 week turn around no questions asked. Only paid shipping out. Yes I will buy again. Looking at (2) T20.2K or (1) T30k. The fans are loud. But can't hear when the bass is up. 

How involved is swapping fans? I don't always listen to my stereo loud as balls so having audible fans, let alone loud ones, isn't for me. I'm sure any warranty would be void by doing so?

How involved is swapping fans? I don't always listen to my stereo loud as balls so having audible fans, let alone loud ones, isn't for me. I'm sure any warranty would be void by doing so?

Yes, warranty will be void if you open the case. By the way it sounds. Taramps probably isn't right for you if you can't stand the noise. lol. You could always mount a board on the side closes to you to block the fan noise. 

I just have a bad feeling the fan noise will to too much for me and I don't want to go voiding any warranty just to quiet it down. I have another amp in my sights, I just hope it's still available.

I just have a bad feeling the fan noise will to too much for me and I don't want to go voiding any warranty just to quiet it down. I have another amp in my sights, I just hope it's still available.

Sounds good. 

I didn't have much against taramps until I saw the size of the 30k.

I'm not sure who would believe you could get so much power out of such a small amp, its impossible.

http://img2.mlstatic.com/s_MLB_v_V_f_3372751698_112012.jpg

I'm not sure who would believe you could get so much power out of such a small amp, its impossible.

Hell no it's not. Its a different technology than the Koreans most of us are used to.

These beasts are FULLY capable of the power they claim.

Hell no it's not. Its a different technology than the Koreans most of us are used to.

through a single 0 gauge input? really? Even their 50k which I just found on there website has a single input.

Anyways I don't want to hate too hard I'm gonna assume that the pictures are being updated. Some of their older amps were much larger, and I believe had more inputs from the pictures Ive seen.

Edited by SacredTanakh

Less than 18" of wire. That short, and it will hang. I had this same convo with shizzon before I bought my Taramps 3k. It only has 8 ga. inputs.

Edited by puscifer2

You should see the voltage those amps require. That's where they get away with that kind of power with only a single 1/0 power and ground input.

yeah man, those are higher voltage lol. That's why the inputs. That's not the 12v 30k either FYI. 

The 12v T30k has not been released yet. The T20.2k is the strongest production 12v amp they offer, and it's a boat, about the same size as the DC9.0k. 

1476433_176986985841618_1047751501_n.jpg

The first computer had over 17 thousand vacuum tubes.  I bet if you told the people that worked on the ENIAC that in 60 years you would have one in your pocket they'd call you crazy

yeah man, those are higher voltage lol. That's why the inputs. That's not the 12v 30k either FYI. 

The 12v T30k has not been released yet. The T20.2k is the strongest production 12v amp they offer, and it's a boat, about the same size as the DC9.0k. 

One of those on six tridents? Lol

One of those on six tridents? Lol

:peepwall:

I personally had no issues with the HD8000 used in my application. It was mounted under the rear bench seat of my suburban on a piece of 3/4" mdf. The fan noise was minimal to me with any volume at all. I did have issues with the HD400.4s but believe it is no longer available to the American market. The 400.4 basically has all mid grade hard plastic for the heat sink & I believe doesn't transport well in packaging. It seemed a bit fragile.

My electrical was a Singer 275a alt w/XS D3400 up front & 4 XS XP3000's in the rear. A single run of 4/0 power & ground to rear bank with a single 4/0 power & ground to the HD8k inputs.

My experience they are some tough bastards. They are strong amps and are finicky when it comes to ohm load. But I ran mine at or above rated ohm load. Plays for hours in 110 weather without ac. Never had thermal shutdown and the amp temp measured at heat sink never got above 128 degrees! I would run them again in a heartbeat

Right now I am looking at the HD5k or an Ampere 5k. $362 difference. I'm starting to lean in favor of the Taramps as that extra money buys another battery, and I could build a kind of forced induction air box for the amp to mute the noise and keep it cool at the same time. Though that Ampere is a dead sexy beast, lol.

That amplifier is rated to do it's power at 190vDC with a max supply of 225vDC at 0.5ohm stable.

This amplifier is no longer being manufactured either.

The current high voltage amplifier that is close to this amplifier is the 35,000w at 0.5ohm stable rated at 214vDC with a max supply of 240vDC

through a single 0 gauge input? really? Even their 50k which I just found on there website has a single input.

Anyways I don't want to hate too hard I'm gonna assume that the pictures are being updated. Some of their older amps were much larger, and I believe had more inputs from the pictures Ive seen.

The 50Kw DBR version will pull approximately no more than 300A clipped under expected impedance curve tested in lab. 

The high voltage amplifiers do NOT use inputs but straight through output wire so the user can connect to multiple cables.  

I do not know what picture you are seeing that shows inputs on an HV amplifier.

Less than 18" of wire. That short, and it will hang. I had this same convo with shizzon before I bought my Taramps 3k. It only has 8 ga. inputs.

The 3k amplifier uses 4awg power\ground and 8awg speaker terminals.

You should see the voltage those amps require. That's where they get away with that kind of power with only a single 1/0 power and ground input.

Again, they do not use inputs on the HV amplifiers.

And on the 12v amplifiers, all amplifiers use adequate terminals.  They do not use 1/0 terminals.  They use 4/0 terminals on the HD4000, HD5000, HD6500, HD8000, T10.9KW, T14.2KW, T20.2KW

The 30KW 12v edition is a custom order product suited ONLY for burps.

Based off of the 20.2KW, the 30KW is about 1ft longer to support the extra transformers required to put out rated power.

And like the 20.2KW, it's not 1\2 ohm stable either.  Not for daily anyways.

The board can support just over 1000A fine for daily so wiring to 1ohm or to 1\2 with crazy impedance curve would be fine.

Now, based on that limitation, wiring to 1ohm on the 30KW is NOT safe for daily.

The 30KW is the only amplifiers Taramp's produces that is not suited for music safely.  Burp amp only due to current draw.

But, with adequate electrical, wiring low and rising to 1ohm will net the largest, once again, power output ever from a 12v amplifiers.

The 30kw is also very expensive for just a burp amp coming in at just under $3,000.  

That may not sound expensive for that much power but for not being safe to play music and what other options you have with their smaller amps to save money, it's really only for serious competitors. 

Shocker Hal used 9 of them to break OVER a 186db.  And yes, he has destroyed Craig Butler's score more than once in the past.

Now, there is a newer 30kw amp where they have changed some things that is going to play music but it's up in the air right now if they want to support a warranty for it.  

Again, lots of current..  It's tricky decision.

I personally had no issues with the HD8000 used in my application. It was mounted under the rear bench seat of my suburban on a piece of 3/4" mdf. The fan noise was minimal to me with any volume at all. I did have issues with the HD400.4s but believe it is no longer available to the American market. The 400.4 basically has all mid grade hard plastic for the heat sink & I believe doesn't transport well in packaging. It seemed a bit fragile.

My electrical was a Singer 275a alt w/XS D3400 up front & 4 XS XP3000's in the rear. A single run of 4/0 power & ground to rear bank with a single 4/0 power & ground to the HD8k inputs.

Yes, the HDS400.4 is VERY fragile and because of such is not recommended any longer to be imported into the USA due to it's plastic heatsink.

Taramp's was contacted and informed to prohibit shipping these amplifiers here and stick to aluminum based heatsinks for the US market.

Edited by shizzzon

The T30k IS currently being tooled for daily usage as noted from Adria. As stated, it is still under development.

The T30k IS currently being tooled for daily usage as noted from Adria. As stated, it is still under development.

I just found this out as prior talks last year indicates no such intentions on making larger ones.

But while talking to them today, it is still up in the air about warranty status on the 30kw.  

I personally would not recommend getting one if no warranty is valid.

I'm surprised they are even doing this, making this amplifier mainstream(after being modified).

Taramp's is personally coming here soon to the US to personally oversee operations of use so we can begin production of their first line of US products.

They are going to be built like what we expect amplifiers to be able to handle, except this line is built with experiences in the competition lane to excel in the most demanding circumstances.

A small portion of this new engineering comes with the new HD-8000 2nd revision just released.  This revision is FAR from our vision for the US line but is sure to come once their visit here is complete.

Thanks Shizzzon for clearing some things up! Sometimes it just takes some explaining of a new product to understand it better.

Hopefully they put up a english website and keep it updated, that will help a ton.