Sign in to follow this  
Wackzirth88

recone question...18" SSA Icon

Just finishing my first recone, changed my 12" icon to an 18. Everything is done except soldering the leads... They're not sandwiched leads; but the loose leads with the pad on the cone to prevent tinsel slap. The tinsel leads seem really long. How much slack should I leave?

60/40 lead solder

if you dont do much solder then something like this should be fine, http://www.amazon.com/Kester-Pocket-Pack-Solder-0-031/dp/B00068IJNQ/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1408184502&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=60%2F40+lead+solder

are the leads loose all the way from the pole piece or are they attached along the top of the spider? 

Completely loose, not stitched to the spider. Its not in front of me at the moment but I believe it comes directly off the bottom of the cone/ top of the former if my terminology is correct.

I f'd the terminals up, I'm going to attempt direct leads,well my dad is going to. I have sky high 8 gauge. How long should I make them and still use the 60/40 lead solder?

how did you fuck the terminals up .. pics please

I over cranked down the little nut and snapped the stud. Only on one tho....I could try to get the set off the 12" basket. Or could I epoxy that one on?

But if I want to go ahead with direct leads what's my best route on soldering? Torch or solder gun?