Sign in to follow this  
stevemead08

burning leads

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but mine still look brand new. I've seen a few guys complain about the leads.

I still have the original cones. Even after multiple multiple multiple 160+ burps. I've yet to find a problem.

Maybe I know when to turn the volume down, maybe because my amps are set clean, maybe I don't have enough power.

It's funny though because after hearing about these issues others were having, I got scared and ordered a spare recone. Still new in the box.

IMAG0958_zpsageasbhj.jpgIMAG0959_zps3swsg8kg.jpg

Thanks Quentin.

I've never had a problem either with any drivers i've ever used burning leads.

Only time i've ever discolored them during a competitive season was when i was running 7x more power than the RMS of the driver.

So, going by that, we'd probably need about 12,000w per driver to do any thermal damage.

Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing

I set my gains with a 0 db 40hz track with a Fluke 123 Scopemeter, but most of my demo music is around 30hz -3bd tracks. Maybe I clip at 30, when I put everything back in I will set my gain with a 30hz track and see if it clips sooner. My subs never had issues burping or with 2k clamped rms going to them as designed. My issue happened after demoing with close to double rms and likely clipping on the low notes .

Regardless I love the subs and don't plan on changing anytime soon. These are some badass subs

At this point there are roughly 95 drivers out there. I've had 3 people with burnt leads and they were all running right at or over 2,500 rms.

The new dual lead set up should handle more power than the coil.

i know very well why i burn leads.

all my fault.

At this point there are roughly 95 drivers out there. I've had 3 people with burnt leads and they were all running right at or over 2,500 rms.

The new dual lead set up should handle more power than the coil.

I was running 3500 per sub and likely clipping some.

The issues where not the subs fault by any means. Hence why I have never really mentioned it, no reason to. Love the Ethos

No issues with leads, but I lack the power that all 3 of the larger builds have. Mine look sparkly new. 

Yup, same with mine. I didn't report it or make it public as it's my fault. With the now dual leads, no issues to report. I demo'd from 10am-4pm Saturday at Sundown HQ with 4k per sub. When I had 800 watts per sub. Never had an issue. It wasn't until several weeks into it with 2600 watts per sub did I run into issue.