Wackzirth88

first ht system...period advice and suggestions please

Looking to get my first home theater system. I think I'd like to run a 5.1, I really have no experience in this field. All my previous focus has been on cast audio. I'd like some serious bass and clarity on the mids and highs. My house is well insulated and a good distance from my neighbors, town of 3000....

I'm in no rush to get the equipment, so I can stack up some coin to get it. I'd like to run two 15s or 18s for bass but I'm looking for reasons why I would or wouldn't like such. Are low power car sib audio equiptment more econimalical? I enjoy primarily rap but do listen to a lot of alt rock, nothing metal or anything in that direction.

As for overall budget I'd say 500-1000 bones... I want quality that'll satisfy my novice needs for a few years...

Building a DIY setup, or piecing things together? Interested to see how this goes.

Honestly no idea... Looking for advice plain and simple. I'll build the boxes if that's the best option but if preloaded equipment is ample that's super cool. I want it to be a loud surround system for movies with the ability to kill it on music, I'm sure I'll use it for music more, I enjoy jamming; loud as f*ck a lot lol. I'll post up my living room layout/ 1st floor layout if necessary tomorrow.

My dad has a denon receiver(idk how many channels or watts) pushing two yahama towers that consist of 2-6 1/2" components, a large tweeter and a 15 in each each with a few 6 1/2, maybe 5 1/4 satellites around the his living room and its f'n amazing. Loud, clear, and flexes the entire house; you can't sit a drink on the coffee tables while its going at it lol. His living room is huge tho like 13-15x20ish+....mine is half the size, and he's been setting it up/upgrading for some time.

HT and music are completely different. For HT you want a large low tuned enclosure as sound effects can rumble down into the low teens. Music obviously doesn't get anywhere near that low, so the enclosure and tuning would be way off for benefiting music. If you plan on dual purpose, you either have to build for HT and accept the fact it'll suck (comparatively) for music or tune for music and accept the fact it'll suck for HT (and run a subsonic filter so you aren't blowing the subs).

Could I build two different sub boxes, one tuned for each then just plug whichever ever one in for its specific purpose then just adjust the subsonic filter?

His set up does pretty well with movies as well but that's subjective and I'm def a noob so.

You said in your first post you were thinking multiple sub's? Why not have one just for movies and the other for music? Push terminals for connections on the boxes for easy switching. You said it was a smaller room so you shouldn't need multiple 18s.

Just my 2¢

Not enough budget to do anything in terms of his goals anyways.

That  looks more like a budget for a single pair of speakers : a serious set.

You can choose the BOSE route : easy, you'll love it. But there is better out there.

You can also buy a pair of speakers and a single subwoofer (no need to run 15" or 18" subs, unless your room is huuuuge). You'll get a second pair of speakers later.

I don't know if you already have an A/V amplifier.