Sign in to follow this  
ballaholic29414

Ordered a single 15" Icon but second guessing myself..2 12" Gc

Im running a Sound Stream Rubicon 1600d amp and I very recently (7hrs ago) ordered a single 15" Icon to run in a ported midgate Avalanche enclosure that I will soon be having built. Im second guessing myself because I now feel like the single Icon wont provide enough SPL. Im thinking about canceling for 2 Gcon 12s. Ive never personally heard either sub besides from watching youtube vid and forum customer reviews. I'm a 60/40 sq/spl but from time to time I like get my breath taken away. Im not sure what 15 icons hit on meters or double gcon setups but if it means anything the loudest set up I've ever owned hit 140.6 with 2 Pioneer Premier SPL 12s on a Directed 1100d in a prefab ported box in a car trunk. It was plenty loud for me but didn't have much if any sq but didn't sound bad at all. Will a single 15" Icon be capable of getting as loud or should I just give them a call Tuesday morning and get my order switched before they start building. Only reason I ordered the single 15 icon over the 2 12s gcon is the $110 price difference on top of getting a better sub. I will have both midgate enclosures built to SSA recommendations for optimum performance.

The problem with your dilemma is that "loud" is just as relative a term as "sounds good".  What is loud to me could be just kinda loud to you, same with what sounds good to me could sound like ass to you.

Having actually played with and heard a 15" ICON on a PPI BK1300 I can say the ICON does fantastic in the output department, in the right enclosure of course.  I can't see how anyone could be disappointed with what it can do in both departments actually.  The two 12's have more cone area and with nearly the same xmax do have the potential of giving you more output.  Don't discount the ICON though, the 15 I've played with can almost take your breath away at the tuning of the enclosure which I find pretty impressive for a single 15 on a little over 1k of power.  

Being that it's also the cheaper of your two options, I would suggest keeping the order as is and going with the ICON.  Make sure you build the enclosure as closely to optimal as possible and find the best orientation to maximize output in the vehicle.  Then, if it's still not enough you can sell it and pick up the GCON's.

The two 12" Gcons will have just slightly more surface area than the single 15. The main thing that comes into question is; are you planning on upgrading in the future? With two 12's you're sort of locked into the pair of 12's unless you want to do 1-2 more. With the single 15 you'd be able to go to a dual 15 setup without many issues. 

keep the icon!!   just make sure a proper box is built for your vehicle....  you wont regret it!

I was able to manage an 141 db even at the headrest off of an single aq1200. If sq is at in the equation, great sub choice. Very accurate and crisp sounding woofer. 

Another option, would be if you could afford the extra cost, 2 10" DSS Ethos would be nice. 

The Icon 12 in my car on less power than you are running, in a low tuned box, has plenty of output.

Running my two ICON 12's on a Memphis pr1.500.1@ 2 ohms still shakes the hell out of my car :)

That single Icon is plenty for your install.adhd.gif

Im running a Sound Stream Rubicon 1600d amp and I very recently (7hrs ago) ordered a single 15" Icon to run in a ported midgate Avalanche enclosure that I will soon be having built. Im second guessing myself because I now feel like the single Icon wont provide enough SPL. Im thinking about canceling for 2 Gcon 12s. Ive never personally heard either sub besides from watching youtube vid and forum customer reviews. I'm a 60/40 sq/spl but from time to time I like get my breath taken away. Im not sure what 15 icons hit on meters or double gcon setups but if it means anything the loudest set up I've ever owned hit 140.6 with 2 Pioneer Premier SPL 12s on a Directed 1100d in a prefab ported box in a car trunk. It was plenty loud for me but didn't have much if any sq but didn't sound bad at all. Will a single 15" Icon be capable of getting as loud or should I just give them a call Tuesday morning and get my order switched before they start building. Only reason I ordered the single 15 icon over the 2 12s gcon is the $110 price difference on top of getting a better sub. I will have both midgate enclosures built to SSA recommendations for optimum performance.

Whats it going into a car or suv?

2007 Avalanche. I ended up switching to 2 gcon 12s the day after labor day but after reading the other responses today I wish I sticked to the Icon 15, smh

2007 Avalanche. I ended up switching to 2 gcon 12s the day after labor day but after reading the other responses today I wish I sticked to the Icon 15, smh

It is a win win in the end.  You end up with great subwoofers regardless. :)

2007 Avalanche. I ended up switching to 2 gcon 12s the day after labor day but after reading the other responses today I wish I sticked to the Icon 15, smh

Cone area advantage with your current choice. I bet you are very pleased with the output.

Keep the icon so you can upgrade to one more and get quite a bit louder than gcons