Sign in to follow this  
Notorious97200

How to put the port ?

Hi guys,

I drive an SUV for the first time, with enough of trunk space (for the first time of my life) ! It's a Mazda CX-5 (2.2 l diesel with 150 hp) : I love it hopefully :-)  :-)

I will use my Zcon 15" on an IA20.1 amplifier.

I think I'll do sub up. But how to put the port ? Port up or port to the rear ?

How much room is necessary between the port and the rear hatch ? Is there a maximum ?

If I put it firing back, what would be good and why ? Port  standing on a side of the back panel of the box, or laying down on all the width ? I see both scenarii for SUV generally.

I'll take some mesurements later. I think I can easily run my sub in a 4ft3 net enclosure, in this car.

Hi guys,

I drive an SUV for the first time, with enough of trunk space (for the first time of my life) ! It's a Mazda CX-5 (2.2 l diesel with 150 hp) : I love it hopefully :-)  :-)

I will use my Zcon 15" on an IA20.1 amplifier.

I think I'll do sub up. But how to put the port ? Port up or port to the rear ?

How much room is necessary between the port and the rear hatch ? Is there a maximum ?

If I put it firing back, what would be good and why ? Port  standing on a side of the back panel of the box, or laying down on all the width ? I see both scenarii for SUV generally.

I'll take some mesurements later. I think I can easily run my sub in a 4ft3 net enclosure, in this car.

I have a jeep liberty. When I ran a 15 xcon I used port up. On a 12 gcon I ran it port back. Either way seems to work fine except when the port is to close to the hatch. Like closer then 6".

It all depends on the suv.

You may have to do trial method to see which works the best for you.

Port back is typically the loudest in suvs, make sure you leave at least 3-4" at the narrowest part between the back and the port .

There will be enough room between the back and the port.

I wanted to know if there was a maximum : can the port be "far" from the back with no issue ?

Port standing or laying down ? Is there any benefit from one choice or the other ?

I guess I can't answer that. I know pointing up the roof  liner material seems to affect the sub and port.

In my jeep I like sub up port back.

Edited by pmureika

You really won't run into issues with it being far away from it. Just make sure there is adequate clearance between the back and the port. The port loads better off the rear hatch vs loading against the roof. Acoustically I'm not sure why, but in my experience it's typically the best in most hatchback cars/trucks.

I also seemed to like aero ports in my jeep.

they seemed to sound better to me.

Usually how wide the port is how far you want to stay away from the hatch. This is just a number I have found from testing when I used to have a SUV. Could vary from install 

Usually how wide the port is how far you want to stay away from the hatch. This is just a number I have found from testing when I used to have a SUV. Could vary from install 

What about aero ports?

What about aero ports?
Usually half the diameter at a minimum in my experience.

Ok, port will stand up on the back panel, firing back.

What do you think ? On the driver side, or on the passenger side ?

I will meter the system, but it is made to listen to music everyday, not to win any competition.

Ok, port will stand up on the back panel, firing back.

What do you think ? On the driver side, or on the passenger side ?

I will meter the system, but it is made to listen to music everyday, not to win any competition.

Your port should run the entire width of your box, basically a huge slot port.

The best would be in the middle.

But with one sub you can't do that.

Build the port to the passanger side I think that would sound better.

But I am no expert.

I think I'll have it on the passenger side. Not the best for metering, but it will be louder to me on the driver seat !

In my blazer it sounded best (to me) sub up port up. Port on drivers side and sub as close to middle as possible