I am trying to run the auto-eq on my unit. I keep getting an error message for outside noise.

I am running in 3-way active mode. Internal amp is turned off. I did reset the head unit and tried again and still had the same error. I am performing the auto-eq in a very quiet closed garage.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Suggestion is to not use it, that feature sucks. Too bad since the rest of the headunit is awesome.

Yea. Head unit is awesome. I have heard good things and bad about the auto-eq. Figured I would try it out.

The auto eq is basically a waste of time. If you really want to try it you might just have to bump up the volume a tad.

Well, I finally got it to work. After just a little adjusting by my ear it now sounds amazing.

If the auto eq sounds good you need to find someone who knows how to tune. It screws up even the easy stuff.

If it sounds good to you that's what is important. Use that as a starting point and try making improvements if you feel the need.  Enjoy your hu.

Didn't mean to trivialize the good sounding to you part. Definitely the first step. I would warn you on using it as a starting point though as they jack so many settings it is hard to correct. I found it much easier from scratch. And seriously it will just get WAY better. smile.png

I've tried it a couple times with ok results. One time it had the t/a on one of the tweeters so far out it should have been outside the vehicle.

And that is the bummer, the one thing it SHOULD be able to do right is T/A. Only reason I tried it as it is easier than pulling out any other gear to measure. It failed miserably at it though. sad.png

Not relying on the auto-crutch has certainly improved my tuning skills. Still plenty to learn, but I am fairly happy with my current settings. For the price of the hu, it's no surprise that the auto feature is mediocre at best. Otherwise, it's an awesome piece!

While I don't condone the use of auto-eq I wanna poke fun at it a bit more. M5 where did you set the mic when you did your eq? I almost wanted to try it and took a look at the mic and first thing I thought was how it didn't look omnidirectional enough right off the bat. Besides how is a machine going to tell me what sounds good anyways? For that matter how does it know if you are using midrange/midbass and not to set lp high enough to not bottom out or low enough that it utilizes midbass. WTF does it do for horns? lol Auto-eqing worries me. I was testing 1 speaker at a time when i first set it up because right off the bat you're swapping from Front/Rear/Sub to Mid/High/low. This means if you haven't changed your speakers from front (which would normally be tweeters) to the High when changing to networking mode then you're looking at reconing tweeters right from the start. This seems to hold true with any headunits that support networking mode from what I have seen so far too. I wonder how many people put 80hz directly to their tweeters and turn them out trying to set their eq.

I tried in a variety of ways including as it is spelled out in the manual. Nothing was even close or logical. It does absolutely no measurement of cone breakup, fails miserably at time alignment and just flat out sucks. To put it in perspective using a relatively random crossover of 4k at 12dB mid/hp with NO time alignment at all and it sounded worlds better.

That's awesome. I remember you saying you were going to test one out a while back. I'm glad you got the chance finally. I definitely wish there were more options for HU with built in networking even though it's rather basic instead of needing to whip out a cord and pc each time you wanna make changes.

Thanks for all the replies.

I did only do the Auto-EQ for an initial starting point.I have adjusted a lot since then. And, it keeps getting better. I am running Active in network mode and internal amp turned off. I still have some adjusting to do but it is very loud and very clean.

Back calculate the T/A and see if it is even in the ballpark. If not, scrap the T/A settings it used altogether.

It also didn't do any phasing, which to me is a crying shame. I've never had a system where all 4 drivers in the front stage were phased the same. That can make a HUGE difference.

Another thing you can try is to save those settings and start over. Once you train your ear this will definitely be the better approach.

Back calculate the T/A and see if it is even in the ballpark. If not, scrap the T/A settings it used altogether.

It also didn't do any phasing, which to me is a crying shame. I've never had a system where all 4 drivers in the front stage were phased the same. That can make a HUGE difference.

Another thing you can try is to save those settings and start over. Once you train your ear this will definitely be the better approach.

Thanks. I will try that for sure. I have adjusted phase a little and T/A. I am kinda just going by ear now. I don't know anybody close to me that is very good at tuning. So I am just doing all this myself.

you can roughly calculate TA by measuring distance. 

you can roughly calculate TA by measuring distance.

And it could be WAY closer than the Pio measurement. I'd double check it pronto. If it can't do that (which is by far the easiest measurement to automate) it should send a message.

Start from scratch, really will help. smile.png