krazz619

Questions

So I just made my purchase for a HDS212 and Q1-750. Wanted to get some input on how to properly tune it.

I don't have any meters, dd1s, anything like that, but I may be able to borrow one.

But anyways, what is the process of tuning the Q1-750? Also, this will be my first system with a bass knob, so I'd appreciate help on tuning with that.

Thanks ahead of time

find a good bass heavy song that u know is not clipped and start with ur gains all the way down bass boost off on amp and head unit. slowly turn her up until u hear some clipping the back it off a hair and ur golden. 

also make sure u wire it properly. im presuming its a dual 2 ohm sub so heres the way to do it: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=1&I=22#results

and enjoy!

WELCOME.gif  to the forum

and my experience with bass knobs is dont touch em all they do is clip

It depends on whether it's a remote gain or bast boost knob.  If it's a bass boost then definitely forget it, but if it's a remote gain knob then it does have a very useful function.  If it's a remote gain you'll want to turn it all the way up and then set the gain on the amp like 1two3 explained.  Listen for clipping/distortion then back it off a hair.  Then you can use the remote gain knob to turn the sub down to blend better with the rest of your speakers but when you want to bump hard or show off you can turn the bass knob up to get more output without having to worry as much about clipping the sub.

Trust us, there's no need for any meters or scopes and DEFINITELY no use for a DD-1.  Your ears are the best tuning tool.  

What kind of enclosure are you putting the sub in?  If you're putting it in a ported enclosure I'll need to cover how to set the SSF (Sub-Sonic Filter) as well.

It depends on whether it's a remote gain or bast boost knob.  If it's a bass boost then definitely forget it, but if it's a remote gain knob then it does have a very useful function.  If it's a remote gain you'll want to turn it all the way up and then set the gain on the amp like 1two3 explained.  Listen for clipping/distortion then back it off a hair.  Then you can use the remote gain knob to turn the sub down to blend better with the rest of your speakers but when you want to bump hard or show off you can turn the bass knob up to get more output without having to worry as much about clipping the sub.

Trust us, there's no need for any meters or scopes and DEFINITELY no use for a DD-1.  Your ears are the best tuning tool.  

What kind of enclosure are you putting the sub in?  If you're putting it in a ported enclosure I'll need to cover how to set the SSF (Sub-Sonic Filter) as well.

I'd say yes and no to what I bolded. If you're chasing numbers on the meter, a scope is invaluable. I always tell people who don't own an oscilloscope to tune by ear. It was the advice I got from Stephen Mantz on how to tune his equipment, so I took it and ran with it. BUT...I remember reading something about the human ear only picking up on distortion closer to the 10% threshold, so going full tilt on your sub(s) probably requires a bit more due diligence than just a by-ear tune, especially if you're planning to go far beyond rated power to them.

In this situation? Absolutely, tune with your eyes, ears, and nose. If someone tries to hand you a DD-1, just laugh. Tuning to a blinking light instead of using an iota of knowledge in car audio is starting to breed a lot of problems.

Finally, OP, I don't know diddly squat about SoundQubed's bass knobs, but if there's any doubt, substituting it for an extra pair of RCAs and a PAC LC-1 should be high on your list.

My system is a Soundqubed HDS212 with Sq's 750.1 (so the knob that comes with that amp). And it's going in a Ported box off of SonicElectronix

I wouldn't buy a pre made box they aren't tuned for that sub.

Build one or have somebody design and build it for you.

Go to Soundqubed's homepage and click on the "Tech Questions" button at the top of the page. Select "amp setting" from the dropdown menu.

Alton,
We couldn't have said it better. Please use the Remote knob on your Q1-750. It's not an accessory. It is a piece of the amp.
The SoundQubed remotes are Gain knobs and do offer the ability to watch for clipping.
Check out this link for amp set up instructions: http://www.soundqubed.com/Amp-Setup-Instructions-_ep_69.html

I wouldn't buy a pre made box they aren't tuned for that sub.

Build one or have somebody design and build it for you.

Some pre fab boxs work if you know what to look for. Thats all I have ever used with awesome results in my last 4 builds. Just never had the time or patience to build a box. I would not buy one for the HDC line though lol