Kent535

First 4th order! (Bare with me)

So going from my current setup to something more extravagant should spark your interest.

Wanting to go with (4) SA-8 V.2's in a 4th order box with a 2:1 ratio.

From what ive gathered so far on reading..

*  Speakers facing sealed chamber(better cooling&so you can smell the coils if needed)

* 15^3 inches of port area PER cubic feet of sealed chamber

* The shorter the port the better

* Ported chamber tuned to around 45-50 hz.

Here is what ive come up with on Sketchup so far.

Sketch is not to scale.

Came up with

- 2.6^3 feet in ported chamber and...

- 1.3^3 feet in sealed chamber.

post-7369-0-69914200-1411424157_thumb.jp

post-7369-0-43936400-1411424146_thumb.jp

Would love some input or constructive criticism/ advice and help since this is my first 4th order

Why a 4th? What vehicle will this go in?

Im going for SPL on daily music. It will be going in an 08 Lexus ES350

Everything you described is a recipe for poor results. Its absolutely no different then walking down the street and asking someone "hey pick two numbers" "okay good i got my chamber volumes down, just gotta get a number for porr area and length and ill be good to go."

Sorry if that comes across as being harsh, but i want it to be made clear.

Everything you described is a recipe for poor results. Its absolutely no different then walking down the street and asking someone "hey pick two numbers" "okay good i got my chamber volumes down, just gotta get a number for porr area and length and ill be good to go."

Sorry if that comes across as being harsh, but i want it to be made clear.

Where do you recommend i start then?

im lost now :?

I would use a ported enclosure and I probably wouldn't use 4 8"s for the sake of cost (2 12s would have a little more cone area and cost around half as much), but perhaps the 8s fit better in the trunk?

4th order bandpass won't offer any more output over a ported enclosure (okay it might but it'll be a tiny amount more over a limited frequency range) and it'll have have a shorter bandwidth.

As to the bullet points you made above: there is no relationship between port area and enclosure volume, there is no correct "ratio" for chamber volumes, and shortening the port length merely raises the tuning frequency--which could be good or bad, but without context is meaningless advice.

Everything about the build you've described so far is setup for failure. Listen to SSH. Seriously.

Decided to just go Ported since apparently my numbers were off. So here is what i have so far.

Should get to wrapping in vinyl tomorrow which will match my interior.

dgm88n.jpg

2jgsnb.jpg

30niyva.jpg

Looks good

Got some good wood working skills, I'm jealous. :D

Got some good wood working skills, I'm jealous. biggrin.png

Why thank you! they have defiantly gotten better since my early days of enclosure building that's for sure.

Picture update. Ordered the other 3 SA-8's and Got the box wrapped and the subs wired up. Heres the final result. Before you mention the "Staples" comment, save it. I've already heard it.

27y1pw0.jpg

vgpo4y.jpg

2yoxzdu.jpg

2h6943r.jpg

2rhy440.jpg

Also made a temporary amp rack until i get my other amps and batteries.

Have to say tho, those 6 SA-8's slam on that SAZ-3500D even tho it gets pretty hot since its on .7ohms..

2wps1ky.jpg

Edited by Kent

Nobody can sit back there unless they want to laydown...I wanted some sa subs but pockets ain't deep yet...nice build

Bro those staples though :P:

Why didn't you take the backseat out and lay the box on the floor ? Nobody can sit in the back.

You could fire the subs through the cabin, from the trunk.

How do you like it now ?

Why didn't you take the backseat out and lay the box on the floor ? Nobody can sit in the back.

You could fire the subs through the cabin, from the trunk.

How do you like it now ?

I wanted to keep the backseat in for aesthetic purposes and to keep it looking nice. My next build will most likely be a 4th order box in the trunk with the port blowing through the cabin pass through that is in between the back seats. Overall i love the current setup i have now. I was very disappointed when i tried it out after finishing it. But then after putting the seaports, the SA-8's came alive. Then again the box was calculated to be ported to begin with.. guess i just wanted to hear them asap before the aeroports arrived in the mail.

Buddy if mine had 2 10 in 4th order set up the way you describe in an integra 4dr. Loud as hell and would shake am/pm windows like crazy. Seal side set to mfg seal spec. Ported side set to 2:1 @ 45hz. Plays everything.

Buddy if mine had 2 10 in 4th order set up the way you describe in an integra 4dr. Loud as hell and would shake am/pm windows like crazy. Seal side set to mfg seal spec. Ported side set to 2:1 @ 45hz. Plays everything.

your buddies a moron that drink dipshit koolaid. Absolutely retarded way to "design" a box.

your buddies a moron that drink dipshit koolaid. Absolutely retarded way to "design" a box.

Yeah 2:1 ratio only works for quick trips. 3:1 is for am/pm.