PhilHef

Amp and alternator questions

Hey guys i think I'm in the right area of the forum to post this but if I'm not, my bad. I bought two Fi BL 15s fully loaded with the daily option a few months back. Originally I was going to buy a Sundown or Cresendo amp but money is tight so I've been looking into the Hifonics BE 2500.1.  I know they have a bad name, but I currently own an older series Hifonics BXi 2008d and honestly love the amp. Don't get me wrong I've had it repaired about 4 times but all due to inefficient power supply. The new series is CEA compliant and Steve Meade proved they do put out the power advertised. With that being said, do you guys think a 240 amp Mechman Alt could power the 2500 rms amp? I don't plan on running the second battery just yet, but I'm also not trying to fully power it right now.  And another question, what if the amp is rated at 14.4 ohms, should the Alt be the same or a little bit higher? Thanks for any input!

Some facts:

1) 4 times is NOT acceptable. I've had some amps since 1990 that have NEVER been repaired.

2) CEA means jack

3) SMD couldn't prove shit. What he used to do so was a joke. As with all the electronic nonsense he offers it is pointless.

If you need a budget amp, buy a good one used.

I've had that amp for about 4 or 5 years and it's always been run off a 130 amp alt with no other support. I don't think any amp would stand up to that kind of abuse I was putting it through. I get what your saying about cea compliant but it does hold some sort of relevance for sure. But the question is how much power can I supply with just a 240 amp alt?

If it burned up either you are at fault or the amp is trash.  Think carefully on that one.

If it burned up either you are at fault or the amp is trash.  Think carefully on that one.

He is stating he is at fault, he did twice already.

There are to many variables to give you a good answer.

240 amps at 12 volts is 2880 watts. Will produce 3450 watts at 14.4 volts. So yes a 240 amp alt should run your 2500 watt amp no problem.

He is stating he is at fault, he did twice already.

I read that and don't agree. Partially sure, but a better piece wouldn't have failed.

Yea it was clearly my fault I wasn't supplying enough power to it. I didn't know about clipping, voltage drop etc at the time so it was an on going thing. Did some research this time around and have been slowly upgrading my whole system. Got JL zero gauge and did my big three upgrade with the left over four gauge from that kit. Plan on ordering a Mechman 240 alt very soon to power what ever amp I get. I'm not trying to fully power my BLs but considering how loud they were even with that old Hifonics amp they don't need to be. When I upgrade that alt should I just throw a good inline fuse on that main alt wire? Again thanks for all you guys time and input on this post!

A fuse in between the alt and battery is cheap insurance. That being said I have ran several HO alts and have never fused the run between the alt and battery. So if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, and lets you sleep at night to fuse it, then go ahead. otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.