Sign in to follow this  
ohio45113

Need electrical advice

ok so I installed my singer 250 alt amp and did the big 3 using knu 1/0 ofc. . the volts with nothing on stays at 14.6. I can turn it up full tilt and it ranges from 13.8 - 14.1.. So my question is why do my headlights still dim? It's not on every song either. I can play tech n9ne so dope or TI on purpose and its perfectly fine. I can play something with alot less bass like lil wayne god bless America and it looks like a light show. Am I going to have to break down and install a couple batteries or what? trying to avoid it because im running out of room. oh, im running a 12 inch zcon on a crescendo bc3500

I would add another battery in the rear if you haven't done so!!!

Did you install a smaller belt for the alt? Could be some slippage...also Mike told me on some occasions you have replace the tensioner as well.

Edited by garychurch84

My guess would be the regulator is just letting the voltage change. It can't react fast enough.

I have that same problem.

pmureika is spot on. The alternator will never be fast enough to put the amperage out in time to not see the fluctuation in lighting. For headlights it is something that you can solve with a set of HID's. DDM tuning is always running sales and has them for cheap to begin with  and also come with a lifetime warranty. 6k should do just fine. LED's help out as well since they draw less current than the traditional filament style bulbs for domes and dash lights.

yeah I added a smaller belt. absolutely no slippage. I checked the volts at idle all the way up to 5000 rpm. ill check into the HID lights and see if that helps.. I could add a couple batteries but like I say im running out of room in the trunk as well as under the hood for the wires.. its a 02 cavalier and not alot of room to start with lol. thanks for the help though guys

yeah I added a smaller belt. absolutely no slippage. I checked the volts at idle all the way up to 5000 rpm. ill check into the HID lights and see if that helps.. I could add a couple batteries but like I say im running out of room in the trunk as well as under the hood for the wires.. its a 02 cavalier and not alot of room to start with lol. thanks for the help though guys

Do you have after market head lights?

no they are factory

no they are factory

Hid will solve the problem with the headlights, but the dash my still flicker some.

lol they bounce around so much you cant really see them anyway.. I just dont wanna get pulled over on the way to work in the mornings because of the flashing lights.

3x hid lights

I got my hids from ddm tuning also you would probably need to get the relay harness with it but you can get all that shipped for about $60.