Sign in to follow this  
sittdogg

First ported enclosure build advise and help

Hi guys, out of the 18 years and over 10 systems I have only had a ported box once. Well I have decided to give it a try and am going to build my own ported enclosure. I can say there are a few things iI need to know.

I am building an enclosure for a 15" sub for the trunk of a 2001 pontiac grand prix gtp, so height can't be over 16". I want the enclosure to work for my current sub but be able to put the subwoofer im going to buy later in it. I plan to buy either a DD 2515, DC level 3 or 4, or SSA xcon. For now i have an Alpine mrd-m1005 amp. I am going to get a bigger amp later as well because i like to over power subs a bit so i can get loud for local drags and so I coan keep gains down to avoid clipping.

One big thing is I am unsure on what frequency to tune to. I want it to be loud but sound good. I know in the 30's is good for listening but not sure on specifics. I listen to a variety of music from rap to rock and metal.

For starters i need to know if the port volume is included in the box volume. The box needs to be about 3.5 cubic feet.

Edited by sittdogg

Port volume is NOT included in the net volume of the box

I've been quite surprised by it actually. Was going to leave that out because of how many people trash them. Its an Audiopipe txxapa15 dual 4 ohm 3" vc, 1000 rms. First low grade sub I've owned but now that I've owned it I wouldn't necessarily call it low grade. It out performs the Alpine type r 15, Soundstream tarantula 1000 watt rms, and Fosgate power punch dvc all of which ive owned. Paid 100 bucks for it slightly used. Said F it I'll try it out.

Edited by sittdogg

Proper installation can make a huge difference. A "cheaper" driver in a proper enclosure can sound worlds better than a "high end" driver in the wrong enclosure.

That is why on here, you will always get asked about what specific driver and power being applied you have before any box recommendations are given.

It's in the box that was made for alpines exact sealed recommendation. Its .75 cubic feet of airspace less then what is recommended by audiopipe hits hard and sounds great; no distortion at high volumn with 1000rms going to it and seems like it can handle more.

I am completely inexperienced with what hz to tune to. what is a good hz to tune to? would like it to sound good. Is it possible to have a ported box sound good for rap and rock? I'm highly thinking of going with ports so I can change the frequency if I want to.

TC300

how much airspace do you have running in your GP, its pretty limited because of the height.

Edited by sittdogg

What to tune to is completely Dependant on end user and intended application.

Personally I like to tune between 30-35 Hz. But that fits my personal taste and listening preference.

I listen to pretty much everything from country to rock to metal to rap/hip hop to dub step and electronic type music.

I had that same amp for years running 2 Type R12s.  I was impressed how much output it had for such a small unit.

If still available ofr October, you should look into a Ethos 15. They don't require a ton of box volume, relatively speaking.

using mark's video from Car audio fabrication I was able to design a true spec fully kerfed ported enclosure using this video

My fi bl came in 2 days ago here are my results

I had that same amp for years running 2 Type R12s.  I was impressed how much output it had for such a small unit.

If still available ofr October, you should look into a Ethos 15. They don't require a ton of box volume, relatively speaking.

I second the Ethos recommendation, but don't wait, if you pre-order now you can get it a little cheaper AND DSS has a layaway option.

Ethos quick only a little left....until next year

What to tune to is completely Dependant on end user and intended application.

Personally I like to tune between 30-35 Hz. But that fits my personal taste and listening preference.

I listen to pretty much everything from country to rock to metal to rap/hip hop to dub step and electronic type music.

So i will go within that range then maybe right in the middle at 33hz, or what might make the ports easiest. 

Ya, I always had a thing for Alpine, but not so much for the newer stuff. I've had this amp for 4 years now. BUt either I buy anotherone used on ebay or get a different amp when I go to upgrade. 

using mark's video from Car audio fabrication I was able to design a true spec fully kerfed ported enclosure using this video

My fi bl came in 2 days ago here are my results

Thank you for the video link. I like to have something to reflect on and go back to. WIll def be checking it out once I settle in for the night.

I second the Ethos recommendation, but don't wait, if you pre-order now you can get it a little cheaper AND DSS has a layaway option.

I've never heard of Ethos. I will look it up. I'm surprised I haven't I'm constantly looking at audio equipment. sounds like a Hifonics-type name.

Check them out at Direct Sound Solutions website, then do a search on here and look at the DSS section in the manufacturers sections.

http://www.directsoundsolutions.com/

Look for Sencheezy's YouTube channel for starters, then at the others and their build logs on here.

Wow That is a nice subwoofer on the Ethos!! 1800 watts RMS triple stack magnet monster for less then $300. I'm impressed and that is my cup of tea to have a quality sub at a decent price! Does it perform as well as it look. I'm guessing so or you guys prob wouldn't be recommending it. My eventual goal is to have a system that I can compete with once in awhile but have an excellent sounding system too. I alway have tuned my systems to sound well. I'm not one of those mud listeners...lol

To bad I'm so low on money at the moment. I will be starting a new career in a couple weeks, just waiting on my license. will def be able to afford that and the amp to run in in a month or so. To bad because it's on sale!!!

Edited by sittdogg

DSS does have a layaway option. Just need the minimum down payment to start.