Sign in to follow this  
Sencheezy

Defective Spiders

Hey Q, just as an heads up. I'm not really sure if this is because of the first batch of spiders you've received or not. I just know it's kind of been an common thing now, at least between the subs I've owned, along with others I've communicated with. When you move the spiders in an up and down rotation, one at a time, you hear this funny noise. It's not audible during play, and it's not with every subwoofer. I know you've always taken good care of everyone, and don't mean this thread to come across negative. Just informative, as it could be something to look out for in regards for the October shipment.

Defective DSS Ethos Spiders: http://youtu.be/MrFsxtiQwys

Trust me, very audible in a ported enclosure because the sound is amplified at low volume by the enclosure. I haven't made it common knowledge because honestly it's a defect that Q has always taken care of. I did include it in my online review, but I did not include any details. 

It might be that you don't hear it because the sealed enclosure side makes it so you can't. Maybe I hear mine more because I play low volume  more often than the normal basshead.

Besides nadcicle you are the first to say anything about a noise.

Does it do it when playing or just when push on one side of the coil with your hand?

Remove one the bad ones from the box and make another video with it uninstalled.

It took me pushing and pulling both ways to get the noise to be heard while out of the box. I couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from at first glance since all I did was press down on the sub while still inside the enclosure. 

Just a demonstration:

It took me pushing and pulling both ways to get the noise to be heard while out of the box. I couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from at first glance since all I did was press down on the sub while still inside the enclosure. 

Just a demonstration:

This is why I want him to remove one.  Yours had a cracking sound and his is squeaking like a spring or something rubbing on wood.  If it makes a noise out of the box and is not coil rub then it's  covered by warranty.  

Nick has been using these spiders for 10 years so I need to figure out if it's a bad batch of spiders or some issue that i'm causing during the build process.  Either way the customer will be covered if it's a defect of any kind. 

Yeah no problem Q, I'll take them out and inspect. Like I said, for me, I couldn't hear it while playing, and as seen in the video, it's not all of them. In the video, it really doesn't sound like coil rub, it's making the same squeeking/crackling noise as when we tore out Nadcicle soft parts where they look/sound like potato chips.

Mine sound fine clamping 4400w per sub.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

One of the center spiders on the pack came loose on the joint?

One of the center spiders on the pack came loose on the joint?

The spiders are sandwiched together in a press so the top or bottom joint would have to fail in order for them to delaminate. Which could be possible by bottoming out on 4k.

Teric's sub that he sent to me and I pulled apart one of the spiders which is a "soft" spider and no longer used was like a potato chip. Never seen anything like it.

I think either

1) the glue between the spiders at the former has squeezed outward and that is what's cracking

2) the inner spiders have turn to potato chips. Which is unlike as they are all the same from the same pile if stock. Id expect at least one top or bottom spider to be brittle.

3). They were bottomed out with 2.5 too much power and either the bottom glue joint is loose it the kapton around the aluminum has separated and broke and that's what's cracking.

Can't really know unless I pull it apart and expect. Besides the one I recones for Terec no one else has contacted me with this issue. Nor do the 10 or so drivers I have on hand that were free aired on the Klippel to 40mm one way for 10 minutes plus countless hrs of play time have this cracking sound.

The only thing I can do is replace faulty ones with recones and inspect any that are returned for warrantee work.

Just for those wondering. The issue being described that some are assuming is overpowering or playing past physical limitations is simply not that. You can tell that they are indeed cracked and not ripped. I could literally break apart the spider like potato chips in my hand.

20140812_180031_zpsskj6jujj.jpg

20140812_180057_zpsfeirjal1.jpg

20140809_111455_zpsbjjep65u.jpg

20140809_111436_zpseeicq2pj.jpg

20140809_111446_zps6btpv137.jpg

20140812_180140_zpslaoghpfl.jpg

Hell, part of the spider is still attached as you can clearly see.

What is used in between the spiders to keep them together?

This is the type of info I need to fix the problem. Is this recones or original?

This is the type of info I need to fix the problem. Is this recones or original?

These are the ones I removed when you sent me recones. The difference in the suspension from a working one and this one was night and day. This one was super loose comparably. 

What is used in between the spiders to keep them together?

I believe Q made a post about how he sandwiches them together with a  custom jig he made that applies even pressure around the spiders. If I had to guess I would say that he likely uses some Cyanoacrylate glue in the center and some on the outside of the spiders in between each set of spiders then likely sprays activator after he gets them all together in the vicelike device.

They are laminated with CA but no accelerator is needed.

I figured this much as it's sometimes not needed when done on the smaller stuff. I use it liberally when I go attaching the entire pack to the basket personally. Nothing like getting high while reconing I always say lol