Nope, not worth it even if you planned on using it the rest of your life.

Use your ears.

Not worth it even if your going to use it once.

runlaugh.gif

You can pick up a nano o-scope on eBay for about 80 bucks.

This forum doesn't approve of the DD1. Go to any other forums and you'll hear some that love it and some that suggest to use that or an oscope. I have a DD1 and It works great, the only downside is it only "approves" one frequency (40hz).

I used it to set my gain and then fine tuned it while playing some music I frequently listen to.

Probably going to get a lot of hate for it, but oh well.

Just to give a little incite as to what I feel why most people don't like these things.

You set your gain at a single frequency as previously mentioned. Music does not play one frequency and with that being said is dynamic in such a way that different frequencies will have different power requirements from your system as a whole. Your song may dip to below 30 hz and clip like crazy because each amp is different in their dynamic capability. 

On the other hand it seems people are also confused on whether to set everything with the car on/off, what volume the head unit is at, or even where the subwoofer level is. 

It is much better to familiarize yourself with your entire system in such a fashion you can hear things by ear so you can get a sense what sounds right/wrong.

This forum doesn't approve of the DD1. Go to any other forums and you'll hear some that love it and some that suggest to use that or an oscope. I have a DD1 and It works great, the only downside is it only "approves" one frequency (40hz).

I used it to set my gain and then fine tuned it while playing some music I frequently listen to.

It used to be a widely held belief that the world was flat. If a guy walked in to a pub and asked a table of men who happened to be "rounders" if the world was flat, they'd say no it's round. But an individual sitting across the isle from them hears this and leans over to the guy and says "yeah, the guys at that table are just nuts. Walk up to any other table and they'll tell you it's flat ! "

The world isn't flat, no matter how many other tables say that it is.

It used to be a widely held belief that the world was flat. If a guy walked in to a pub and asked a table of men who happened to be "rounders" if the world was flat, they'd say no it's round. But an individual sitting across the isle from them hears this and leans over to the guy and says "yeah, the guys at that table are just nuts. Walk up to any other table and they'll tell you it's flat ! "

Like I said I used it as a starting point see how everything sounds. Like I set it with a 0db tone and it was quiet so I manually turned the gain up, and now its sounds much better, no clipping or smell that I can detect. I have a PAC-LC1 so I can adjust the levels for each song as like we've both said every song and freq is different some may clip while others could go way louder.

Like I said I used it as a starting point see how everything sounds. Like I set it with a 0db tone and it was quiet so I manually turned the gain up, and now its sounds much better, no clipping or smell that I can detect. I have a PAC-LC1 so I can adjust the levels for each song as like we've both said every song and freq is different some may clip while others could go way louder.

Why not save over 100$ (don't know the exact price), and just start out at minimum gain?

I could probably do with out it, but for some people I know it works because it tends to set your gains lower then clipping so for someone who doesn't know what they're doing (old me) it works fine as they set it where it is and leave it, sure they might not be getting 100% but they won't be clipping.

On another note $150 is a complete rip off, I paid that but oh well. $50 would be a better price.

I could probably do with out it, but for some people I know it works because it tends to set your gains lower then clipping so for someone who doesn't know what they're doing (old me) it works fine as they set it where it is and leave it, sure they might not be getting 100% but they won't be clipping.

On another note $150 is a complete rip off, I paid that but oh well. $50 would be a better price.

You could do the same thing with your ears for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57RUYL6lsq0

Edited by pmureika

For someone who doesn't know what they're doing, it's also a good way to break things as it's uselessness goes both ways.

For someone who doesn't know what they're doing, it's also a good way to break things as it's uselessness goes both ways.

Its only good as a paper weight.

Besides. EVERYONE is running their transducers at least to 10 percent distortion and WELL over 40 percent in the sub stage.

Why would they give a peanut butter jelly sand which if their amp is set to <1%?

You didn't even use it and if you did your system is setup like utter fucking shit.

If someone GAVE you $100 for taking a DD-1 then it'd be a good deal. Paying even $0.01 is WAY too much as it has NO value.

You could do the same thing with your ears for free.

[/quote
Amusingly when Steve the dumbass himself came on here and tried to discuss it's value (ie show his ignorance) he flat out said it was pointless for competition and then ended up agreeing with all the points that stated the device was pointless for daily or any stereo as well.  He ran away at that point.

There is NO technical merit for using it for anything.  If you truly believe there is feel free to simply state that technical merit and we will show you the flaw in your logic.

Ok, I can't argue the value of a paperweight so don't try that one.

Well it is made of plastic. Probably kinda light.

Perhaps a wrestling prop where someone can slam it down and watch it shatter in a thousand pieces would be most useful. I bet we could measure the sound of it slapping the floor at 40hz then :)

Never implied it was good for that, just can't argue that value. I don't use paperweights.

Perhaps a wrestling prop where someone can slam it down and watch it shatter in a thousand pieces would be most useful. I bet we could measure the sound of it slapping the floor at 40hz then smile.png

I have many other things that I'd rather measure with my Acoustic Camera...however, if someone donates one for the smash perhaps you could convince me differently.