dsrt4

"That amp you have is junk. You need something better"

Edit: I am all over with this post so bear with me..

So this is always the reply I seem to get when someone ask's what I have in the car.   I'm 40 years old and have been out of the scene for a while.  

I put a simple setup on my 2014 Focus ST which consisted of stock headunit and Sony gs 6 1/2 components front and rear, Stock 160 amp alt and 0 ga welding wire to the back.  Stock battery and no big 3.  After that I used a well worn 12" kicker cvr d2 and a New Hifonics Brutus brx1200.1d

I have ran that since Nov of last year and it's been great for my daily routine.  I have decided to go to a 15" and ordered a FI BL 15 with cooling and Flatwind coil now all the sudden my amp is apparently garbage and shouldn't be hooked up to the BL.  I have heard this from a few different folks.

I wish I knew more on why it is garbage now that I have a FI going into the car?  It has ran fine for months. 

I don't have a ton of cash to spend on another amp since purchasing the BL.  About the most I could come up with quickly is about $300.  My father has been wanting to purchase a old Beretta 9mm I have so that would net me the $300.

I need some advice not criticism.  Should I just run with what I have and ignore everything else or should I look into a new amp within my stated price range?

So this is always the reply I seem to get when someone ask's what I have in the car.   I'm 40 years old and have been out of the scene for a while.  

I put a simple setup on my 2014 Focus ST which consisted of stock headunit and Sony gs 6 1/2 components front and rear, Stock 160 amp alt and 0 ga welding wire to the back.  Stock battery and no big 3.  After that I used a well worn 12" kicker cvr d2 and a New Hifonics Brutus brx1200.1d

I have ran that since Nov of last year and it's been great for my daily routine.  I have decided to go to a 15" and ordered a FI BL 15 with cooling and Flatwind coil now all the sudden my amp is apparently garbage and shouldn't be hooked up to the BL.  I have heard this from a few different folks.

I wish I knew more on why it is garbage now that I have a FI going into the car?  It has ran fine for months. 

I don't have a ton of cash to spend on another amp since purchasing the BL.  About the most I could come up with quickly is about $300.  My father has been wanting to purchase a old Beretta 9mm I have so that would net me the $300.

I need some advice not criticism.  Should I just run with what I have and ignore everything else or should I look into a new amp within my stated price range?

Have you heard this shit from this forum? Because you seem to be a newbie.

You need to calm down.

Their are better choices like jay-cee gave you, but you can use what you have.

Edited by pmureika

Just keep the Hifonics amp and this is coming from someone who's not a big fan of Hifonics.

The amp isn't any worse than some many of other Chinese built amps on the market and definitely better than some hundreds of others.  As Justin said, they're not known for their quality.  If you could afford an upgrade sometime in the future then it probably wouldn't hurt but otherwise there's not going to be any problem running the BL on it.

I say run with it and be happy, but that's just my .02

Fuck the idiots. 

Do you feel there is anything wrong with your amplifier?  If not, keep using it.  If YOU want to change, then go ahead.  Personally I'd save the money for more important things, like ST go-fast goodies.

Post up some pics of the car!  I almost bought one a couple months ago, but decided to wait for the 2015 models due to some updates I'd much prefer over '14.  I'm also hoping they have the color I want available on the Focus that they have for the Fiesta.

Have you heard this shit from this forum? Because you seem to be a newbie.

Not on any forums. And yes I thought I clearly conveyed I was getting back into the game and unsure about what to do. =-newb.

Welcome to the ssa forum !

I bought the car with 80 miles on it used for under 20k.   Guy my age bought it and tried to fit 3 car seats in it and it didn't work out.  He traded it for a minivan at the same dealer he bought it from. I got it for a steal.  My wife had a SRT-4 with stage 2 and tons of other goodies on it since 2003.  I drove lumbering trucks forever so I decided i wanted something fun and here she is.

st2_zpsf278436b.jpg

st1_zps1a07820b.jpg

Edited by dsrt4

Deep Impact Blue!  Great color!  Have you done anything to it yet, performance-wise?

Deep Impact Blue!  Great color!  Have you done anything to it yet, performance-wise?

Nope just a air filter and a boomba BOV.  I have a HKS SSQ bov I took off the Srt when we sold it for my wifes new optima turdblow.  I may put it on the ST later on.  I have left the st pretty much stock.   

I have a 1988 Fiero GT I shoehorned a 3800 Supercharged motor into years back.  Its my main fun toy.  It's stupid quick.  1.9 rockers 3.4 pulley ported log mani's sinister tune blah blah blah..  Just can't haul my wife and son around in it..well.... at least at the same time.

I'd like to keep the Brutus for a bit. I have never had a issue with it and it powered that CVR pretty good.  I mainly just want to keep it safe and not blow up a $400 Fi Sub.

Box is ply oak at 35"w x 13"h x 22" deep.  I have a 6" PSP aeroport in it at 14" or so long.  Should be around 32hz  Fill's damn near the whole cargo area.  I'll post pics

I wouldn't worry a bit about that amp.  You seem intelligent enough to know when to back off the volume and that should be your only issue.

Keep that amp as long as you want/can ! Just be sure that your box is good enough for your taste. A new amp won't do nothing for you.

I like the Focus, I was thinking about getting a used Focus RS recently, but insurance and gas would be too high for me ! I finally got a Mazda cx-5 !

That color fits well on the Focus. Nice !