dsrt4

BL 15 Magnet cover?

I ordered a mild Built FI audio BL 15 last month.  It showed up last night. Unfortunately it has a big chip out of the top magnet. I want to run this inverted so now this is throwing that idea all off.  The Sub was packaged very well from them and the box sustained no damage anywhere during shipping. Must have slipped past FI Audio on the way out the door.

I know it probably isn't going to hurt anything but for looks sake it's really bugging me.  Its there a Rubber boot or something that I could cover the two magnets with so it doesn't stand out so much?  I see some other sub brands have these boot's or covers.

Here's a pic. It's kind of crappy but the Magnet was jacking with the phone so I had to stand back and zoom in.  The chunk missing is wider than the tip of my thumb. Smaller chips broke off along the side.   What say you?

chip_zps6e317c08.jpg

Edited by dsrt4

To the best of my knowledge there's not one offered by Fi and none that I know of exist that would fit it from anywhere else.

Sorry to see that though, those subs are so damn beautiful.

I know it sucks but ive seen worse. Is there a way to angle it or position that part to where it is hardly seen?

I have seen worse as well but they weren't on $400 some odd dollar subs and those weren't being ran ass end up.  :)

Only real way to hide it is to cover it up. I have some U-line thick black rubber self fusing tape that could do it but the chip is mostly on the Top.

I have put a email In to FI audio to see what they want to do.    

Other than all that....It's a Damn nice sub.

Sorry to hear that man. I hope Fi gets back to you with some good news.

I doubt there is much they can say or do, shit happpens.

What?!  

That should be replaceable under warranty I'd think. You said it wasn't damaged during shipping? Well then it left Fi in that condition. It must have slipped by when they check things over.

I recently got my Zv4 12 and the surround is coming off the basket, more specifically it looks like there is glue missing in 2 spots. I was told to fill out an RMA and usually in these situations they build a whole new driver.

Edited by Syphlyn

Yes the woofer was packaged very well. Fiberboard on top and bottom on the sub and 2x2's screwed together connecting them. The cardboard box is heavy wall as well and has no visible damage. Their packaging is pretty bulletproof.

I have looked for the chipped off piece inside the box and the heavy plastic bag it was wrapped in.

I turned the empty box over on a sheet of birch and gave her a good few whacks. The chipped off piece isn't in there and if it was the broken pieces would be stuck to the magnet.  The Magnet is clean. Nothing is stuck to it.

What?!

Believe me man im not trying to be a dick, just looking at it from my perspective thats all. In my eyes its not like the sub is damaged or not working. Thats why i say there isnt much i can see Fi doing, i doubt they would build you a new sub or offer a discount. Just my .02, but we will see.

Edited by jay-cee

If it was a $100 sub I'd say you probably would be right.  But it isn't.

Then again. Years ago I had a $100 set of Fosgate Fanaticx that had a offset dust cap from the factory and it was replaced.....Expeditiously I might add.  It would have more than likely been fine and sounded fine but the concept of a quality product at the time was paramount to them.

Edited by dsrt4

If it was a $100 sub I'd say you probably would be right. But it isn't.

Then again. Years ago I had a $100 set of Fosgate Fanaticx that had a offset dust cap from the factory and it was replaced.....Expeditiously I might add. It would have more than likely been fine and sounded fine but the concept of a quality product at the time was paramount to them.

Really too bad it's not like that now. I would be mad and I love every Fi sub I've had.

I doubt they are going to do anything to fix it or replace it. That happens all the time and it will not effect on the performance of the woofer. 

as for a rubber boot, you could always mask it off and plastidip it, I have no idea if it would stick or last but plastidip is cheap and could be worth the try

nvm

Edited by hdrox88

If it was a $100 sub I'd say you probably would be right.  But it isn't.

Then again. Years ago I had a $100 set of Fosgate Fanaticx that had a offset dust cap from the factory and it was replaced.....Expeditiously I might add.  It would have more than likely been fine and sounded fine but the concept of a quality product at the time was paramount to them.

They won't give you a new subwoofer, for this type of cosmetic damage.

If they would do that expect to pay atleast 20-25% more per subwoofer.

Its economics really, if they would replace all cosmetically damaged subs they ship out then the overall price per woofer would increase.

Unless their is a major flaw with the driver, a small chip on the magnet is not considered a major flaw regardless of price.

Edited by jay-cee

Guess we shall see. At this price point I would expect overall appearance to be 100%

Also I sure wouldn't consider a 1/2" chunk missing out of the side of the ferrite a small chip.

ALL FI/SSA subs that I have bought have come with chips in the magnet, its not a big deal..

They are built to sound great, FI doesn't focus on every little detail cosmetically. If you want that, go with a brand that focuses on such things.

Edited by SacredTanakh

Every FI I have ever seen looks like a work of art.    I haven't seen any chips or Knicks in the mags until mine.  The well built and attention to quality look of them led me to fork out what it took to get one.  If I wasn't running it inverted it wouldn't be a issue.  But I am running it Inverted.....and it has a big chunk out of the ferrite.

Fill it with some black ca glue or some body filled and ppastidip it.

I dropped it off at a local Speaker repair place. They said they could find a thick rubber boot to fit it or stitch one out of thick Vinyl.  Showed some examples.  Happy now!

Good times..

Just about broke my back dragging the thing out of the car though.  Damn thing is wicked heavy..

I'm too old for this shit.

Edited by dsrt4

Just so there's continuity in the thread.

Scott from FI Audio has offered to Located a Magnet Boot or replace the Woofer and showed complete understanding of my concern since I was running the sub Inverted .  I have accepted his offer to try and locate a Boot.  My local PA Speaker repair facility has had difficulty as of today to find something that would fit around in their words the "Huge @SS Magnet structure" 

The Option is still open to wrap it in Black upholstery vinyl or leather like some older PA speaker Magnet structures used to have.  The woofer is still at the repair facility and Scott is actively looking for a rubber boot on his end as well.

Pretty happy for the time being.  

I'll post up what the outcome is.

Glad to hear, guess i was wrong. Makes me feel even better about Fi :woot: