Sign in to follow this  
Micheal Nephew

wiring diagram for 2 mono amps on 1 sub.

Hi guys, new here but been running Sq for a while. I currently have an Sq 3.0 12" and a Sq mono 1200w amp. I'm about to purchase a twin amp and hook them together. My sub is 1 ohm. They way I understood it that running both amps in parallel would keep it a 1 ohm load from both amps. I would like to see a wire diagram on were to run the speaker wire from each amp plz and thank you.

Hi guys, new here but been running Sq for a while. I currently have an Sq 3.0 12" and a Sq mono 1200w amp. I'm about to purchase a twin amp and hook them together. My sub is 1 ohm. They way I understood it that running both amps in parallel would keep it a 1 ohm load from both amps. I would like to see a wire diagram on were to run the speaker wire from each amp plz and thank you.

What exactly is your goal ?

When you strap two amps, each amp will effectively "see" half the load. So a 1ohm load strapped on 2 amps would mean each amp would be operating at .5ohm, below their recommended range and risking damage. Not recommended. When strapped, the lowest (safe) nominal load that can be ran to those amps is 2ohm.

The other option is to buy a second amp and run one to each coil. But then each amp would be driving a 2ohm load and the net power to the subwoofer would be virtually the same, so absolutely no gain there.

So either way your plan of purchasing a second amp is not going to work out. From what I could find that sub is rated at 1500w RMS, and you already have 1200w on it...so I don't see increasing power as a viable option anyways. Even if it were, I'm assuming your goal is to get louder...adding more power is the least effective manor of doing so. With the power compression and already being near the driver's limits power handling wise I doubt it would make much of an audible difference if any. Look at redesigning the enclosure first if you are looking to increase output.

I have 2 amps and the sub is 1 ohm. SQ told me I could wire the amps in series and acheive a 1 ohm load which would be 2ohm on a single amp. I have everything wired according to chart. But when I turn my ignition without music playing its playing a loud continues bass not and will not stop unless I shut off ignition, what is causing this.

Ok I had a feeling it had to do with the rcas. If I unplug 1 of the RCA jacks it plays normally. Doesn't matter which one. If they are both plugged in it just drones. Same cable I used on my sineglect amp setup so I know they aren't bad, what's the deal?

Need a picture of your wiring diagram.  Read what Impious said.

Edited by pmureika

I have 2 amps and the sub is 1 ohm. SQ told me I could wire the amps in series and acheive a 1 ohm load which would be 2ohm on a single amp. I have everything wired according to chart. But when I turn my ignition without music playing its playing a loud continues bass not and will not stop unless I shut off ignition, what is causing this.

None of your post makes sense.

I agree, it doesn't make a great deal of sense.  I'm guessing here that you have a dual two ohm subwoofer, and that they tried to instruct you in some fashion to use one amp per voice coil.  Which in and of itself is easy enough so I'm having a hard time understanding why there would be a reason to over-complicate things.  In that scenario there would be no need to strap the amps, as a matter of fact strapping the amps and then connecting each one alone to one of the voice coils would not work.  When the amps are designed to work in a push-pull type of relationship when strapped, nothing would work right without them working together.  Not to mention the fact that little to nothing would be gained having the amps on each of the 2 ohm voice coils versus the sub coils wired in parallel to a single amp at 1 ohm final load.

If your sub is a Dual one ohm coil configuration then wire the coils in series for a two ohm final load then strap the amps together according to the manual and hook the sub up with the positive going to the MASTER amp and the negative going to the SLAVE amp.

Not sure what else to help explain without some much needed details.