Sign in to follow this  
mklett33

How to Build a Custom Subwoofer Box Tutorial

IntroPic_zps3db50a51.jpg

Hello and welcome to my version of the “How to Build a Custom Subwoofer box Tutorial”. This tutorial aims to teach you not only how to create a subwoofer box but how to add additional styling and design to make it a one of kind masterpiece.

This is a four part tutorial series; a brief description of each part is given below and accompanied with a video and pictures. Enjoy!

Part 1: How to Build the Box

In this first video I cover the basics of a box design, incorporating bracing and 45’s and construction techniques.

20140202_142316-2_zps795b6cef.jpg

Part 2: Customizing the Box

This video covers the design and production of custom template created insert shapes that mount to the front of the box and can be used to accent and tie to other parts of the install. These techniques can be used on other aspects of your install like custom door panels, and more.

20140302_133250_zps2e12a94d.jpg

Part 3: Molding the metal mesh

Molding metal grill mesh gives a very custom look to our box, you could use this technique to hide a port, or protect the speaker itself.

20140316_151151_zpsa985f66f.jpg

20140323_175207_zpsf5127c8b.jpg

Part 4: Wrapping with Vinyl and Carpet

In this final video we finish the custom box by wrapping it with carpet and the template shapes with vinyl.

Capture-2_zps82427924.jpg

20140323_175629_zpse917e513.jpg

20140323_180616_zpsebe126e9.jpg

Thanks for watching and learning! Now that you have learned these new techniques what would you use them on?

nice craftsmanship but ditch that screen door bracing

with over 3000 enclosure builds under my belt I have done extensive testing with

all types of configurations of bracing...got some completely mind boggling numbers

on the termlab right down to 10hz when it is done right

that bracing is more than enough resistance to stop the woofer from cupping 100%

of the enclosures internal volume ,that could cost someone that .6db they need to win or the

deep low end extension some people need to communicate with whales ( like myself )

screen door bracing changes the EFFECTIVE internal CF3 and if it is bad enough it can

also effect tuning....I have seen some SPECTACULAR screen door bracing that looks really cool

but if you run bracing IN LINE with the air movement to and from the woofer and the port the woofer

can CUP all the internal CF3 giving you max efficiency and performance of the enclosure

with over 3000 enclosure builds under my belt I have done extensive testing with

all types of configurations of bracing...got some completely mind boggling numbers

that bracing is more than enough resistance to stop the woofer from cupping 100%

of the enclosures internal volume ,that could cost someone that .6db they need to win or the

deep low end extension some people need to communicate with whales ( like myself )

screen door bracing changes the EFFECTIVE internal CF3 and if it is bad enough it can

also effect tuning....I have seen some SPECTACULAR screen door bracing that looks really cool

but if you run bracing IN LINE with the air movement to and from the woofer and the port the woofer

can CUP all the internal CF3 giving you max efficiency and performance of the enclosure

Where have you been hiding?

of the enclosures internal volume ,that could cost someone that .6db they need to win or the

but if you run bracing IN LINE with the air movement to and from the woofer and the port the woofer

Great vids

And great to see you again thump!!

still stuck in Kelowna BC welding on Fortis natural gas distribution pipelines...

that is going to change soon though , I miss car audio and see more MDF dust in the future